LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 441 users in the forums

Are we seeing a horribly managed free agency? Or something bigger?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just wait everybody. Next year will be different.

[ Edited by UKNiner on Aug 3, 2011 at 13:42:07 ]
Have to say that whilst I don't think it was ever, ever (in a million years) part of the plan I'll be impressed if they manage to pick up Edwards.

OK he is an enigma wrapped in a mystery, a loon of the highest order and he might have hands of granite but still...that would be impressive. Exciting even.

Wonder how quick Crabtree would yank off the bandage (and learn routes) too ?

Hmmm.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
We got rodgers. Looks like we are going to land Edwards and Maybe a good Center thru FA. I guess Garbage Baalke knows what he is doing after all.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Massive amounts of crow will be eaten in NT over the next couple days...

Better to eat crow than go through another season of BS.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I think there was a plan a and b and c and so on. I think plan a didn't work and there.om plan b or c. Having a plan means having a main plan and if that doesn't work having a contigency plan. Just so happens things haven't worked out the way we expected and nobody really knows how it'll turn out.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Better to eat crow than go through another season of BS.

Yup. I've guessed wrong on players and coaches (I kinda liked he Sing hire), but in the end, I just want the niners to win. If I say that Tarell Brown has all the talent in the world, but he is too inconsistent to be an impact CB in the league, and he turns out to be awesome, I'd be happy to admit that I was wrong if we had a star CB. I am hopiong for years of steady improvement, leading to sustained championship contention under Harbaalke.
Originally posted by Otter:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

We have been reading that s**t since 08. You cant just build thru the draft and sign s**t FAs and expect a winning season. You have to have a good mix of both and be aggressive. Plus the way we lowballed our own FAs it will only make other FAs stay away from us even more next season. This isnt a time for crow its a time for anger and disappointment.

Perhaps we lowballed our own FAs, because they weren't that good to begin with.

Better question, what were the offers to Clements, Franklin, Lawson, Spikes, and LaBoy?

Seems like you're saying we should spend heavily on a bunch of guys that their own teams are indifferent about bringing back. Who were the big FA signings by the Patriots in 2000 and 2001? Who were the marquee names the Steelers signed in 2003 and 2004?

We lowballed them because we are a cheap franchise. Franklin should have been our #1 priority. NTs like him are rare and he was rated #2 in the NFL. Clements I can see why he was released but he should have been resigned or atleast a effort to find a equal replacement. Carlos Rogers is not a equal replacement. Hes a Skins bust that never lived up to his draft status. Lawson is a much better alternative to Haralson,Laboy,Brooks or Gibson. Those are the 3 guys on defense we will miss. Tho I do believe we will Franklin the most and hes the 1 loss we cant replace until we draft his replacement or resign him next year.

The Pats made a splash getting Martin and a few others that made a huge difference in the dynasty run. Ill find them names for ya tho. I do believe the Steelers got good picks for when they traded Buress in that time frame. Ill look it up for you to find out more.

We have been reading that s**t since 08. You cant just build thru the draft and sign s**t FAs and expect a winning season. You have to have a good mix of both and be aggressive. Plus the way we lowballed our own FAs it will only make other FAs stay away from us even more next season. This isnt a time for crow its a time for anger and disappointment.

Better question, what were the offers to Clements, Franklin, Lawson, Spikes, and LaBoy?

Seems like you're saying we should spend heavily on a bunch of guys that their own teams are indifferent about bringing back. Who were the big FA signings by the Patriots in 2000 and 2001? Who were the marquee names the Steelers signed in 2003 and 2004?

We lowballed them because we are a cheap franchise. Franklin should have been our #1 priority. NTs like him are rare and he was rated #2 in the NFL. Clements I can see why he was released but he should have been resigned or atleast a effort to find a equal replacement. Carlos Rogers is not a equal replacement. Hes a Skins bust that never lived up to his draft status. Lawson is a much better alternative to Haralson,Laboy,Brooks or Gibson. Those are the 3 guys on defense we will miss. Tho I do believe we will Franklin the most and hes the 1 loss we cant replace until we draft his replacement or resign him next year.

The Pats made a splash getting Martin and a few others that made a huge difference in the dynasty run. Ill find them names for ya tho. I do believe the Steelers got good picks for when they traded Buress in that time frame. Ill look it up for you to find out more.

So much fail, so little time.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Of course if the 49ers get off to a 1-6 start next, you can bet your ass these toolbags that think we're homers will be letting us know they told us so.

• Envy
  • Veteran

I approve of this response

While I agree that it would have been nice to resign Franklin, I'm wondering why he got so little interest on the market if was actually the #2 FA available. Also, considering the stated premium on NTs in the NFL, why did he end up in NO on a one year deal as a backup DT in a 4-3? Although I thought he played well the last two years(especially 09), part of me has to wonder if there's something up with his game that coaches and GMs see that we can't. It will be interesting to see his impact in NO going forward.
Niner fan hysteria. This was ALWAYS a building year. Even if we DO manage to squeak into the playoffs, we are one and done. So spending a bunch of money on overpriced FA's is the smart thing?

No. What you do, is sign under the radar and undervalued players(like C. Rogers, and possibly Braylon) at positions where it likely won't impede development. We were never going to win the SB, so getting ourselves back into cap hell would beo ne of the dumbest ideas around.

The fanbase is impatient, with good reason, but we are going to have to be a little bit more patient for a while longer.
Originally posted by UKNiner:
Have to say that whilst I don't think it was ever, ever (in a million years) part of the plan I'll be impressed if they manage to pick up Edwards.

OK he is an enigma wrapped in a mystery, a loon of the highest order and he might have hands of granite but still...that would be impressive. Exciting even.

Wonder how quick Crabtree would yank off the bandage (and learn routes) too ?

Hmmm.

hands of granite? Braylon had 1 drop last year
Originally posted by NinerGM:
So you can't have it both ways; you can't both b***h about how poor the record has been over the past 8 years and the say how indispensable players like Clements, Franklin, Spikes, and Baas have been for this team - as if the players had no responsibility for that losing record.

I always say if you want to see what you present-day market worth is, just apply for jobs somewhere else. It will be quite evident really quick.

Didn't you get the memo...it was all one players fault we haven't been in the superbowl every year?
Share 49ersWebzone