LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 339 users in the forums

Are we seeing a horribly managed free agency? Or something bigger?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Amir:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Now that Rogers is signed maybe the naysayers will recognize that Har/Ballke may know a little bit about football and know how to get some FAs. We have three weeks to fill in the WR, Center, and possibly another CB before the season starts while developing our backups that are already here - Mays, Bowman, RJF, Tukuafu, R. Smith, Adams, R. Johnson, Perkins. If they get a winning season out of our team then we will say taht they know what they were doing.

No, they don't what they are doing. Sorry, signing a second or third tiered CB to a one-year contract is not going to resolve the many issues that could have, and should have been fixed a long time ago.

Separate yourself from being a Niners' fan for one second. Pretend your team is the Broncos. You would not have the same optimism. In fact, you would mock what the Niners are doing. It is simply not competitive.

Who did you want to sign? Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks are playing well in camp, by all accounts, so it may be that they are better fits for the new scheme. The Same must be true for ICE over Franklin, since they had a chance to sign Franklin on the cheap and they passed. Baas got stupid money, and he only started one year. They replaced from w/in last year at C, and that worked out well. I would like Olin Kruetz, but I don't want Godwin just because he was a Saint. He was surrounded by the best pair of guards in the NFL, so it's easy to look good. The safety market was weak to begin with, and Goldson hasn't gone anywhere. The CBs were getting big money AND their choice of playoff teams to join. Nnamdi chose big money and a playoff team. No surprise there. Joseph chose a ten win team. I prefer Rogers over Cromartie, since Cromartie is all talent and no desire (still has awful technique, won't tackle, can't shut his mouth). Rogers can't catch, but he covers and tackles. I thought he would get big money from someone, so I am pleased that we got him cheap. Floyd was the only FA WR that I wanted, and he is still available, last I heard. Edwards runs hot and cold, and has terrible hands. Sidney Rice had microfracture surgery on his hip, so he may never be the same, and he only had 1 good year. I like that they have a plan, and I like that they stick to it, in spite of chicken little responses from impatient, reactionary fans. Four years ago, GB fans were similarly upset about their FO's approach to fixing the D, now they buy into the plan.

Thanks for your response, Trent. I appreciate the honesty, and the "plan".

P.S. By the way, we've all now seen the "plan" this offseason. It was Carlos Rogers all along. WOW!!!! Color me impressed!!!! What a relief, we are finally heading to the Super Bowl. Sorry for not being "patient".

So someone disagrees with you and you bash them by calling them Trent.

Only the Great Maddog knows what's good for the Niners.

The response given to me was an excuse-laden, pitty party for Trent, full of ridiculous scenarios, unrealistic expectations, and downgrading of any player that did not land here. It was homerism, pure and simple.

The national media is going to be laughing and mocking us for our "plan" this offseason. Meanwhile, the homers think we have suddenly hit the cusp of greatness by adding players such as Applewhite, Grant, Corcoran, some scrubby free undrafted free agent, and Rogers. They are so blinded by their zeal to "want to do well", that they cannot see the product in front of them. The product, as any non-homer can see, is poor. It is non-competitive. It is an embarrassment for the 49ers franchise.

The other teams in the NFC West upgraded their rosters this offseason. They are at least making an effort to push toward the playoffs. The response by management over our inability to do anything persuasive this offseason: The insult of "we have a plan", "be patient". Trent, some of us are not idiots.

Wow, you're being pretty ridiculous. Do you get tired of your, "No one's smart but me" routine. At least you accept the opinions of people who agree with you, even though they are clearly less intelligent than you, they at least possess the brain power to recognize your mental prowess and support it. Just because some of us aren't a bunch of Dan Snyder Jrs, doesn't mean we don't want the team to win. Free Agency doesn't work like it did when Eddie D was here. Stocking up in FA puts you in cap hell. Then you'd be saying this FO is clueless because they can't resign their young stars. It takes a while to build through the draft, and it puts a lot of responsibility on the coaches to develop the young talent. This coaching staff is in it's first season, so I am willing to be patient. I get that you spend a lot of time evaluating talent, but there is a reason why these guys work in football and you don't, and it is not because they have connections and you don't. If you actually think differently, then you are succumbing to delusions. I don't want to be the Redskins, Cowboys, or Raiders. They always spend big in FA, and they suck. Because of our last decade, we would have to overspend for the top FAs as well, and we would be unable to resign the young talent that we are counting on our coaches to develop. I would rather spend a season setting the foundation for sustained success, than have one satisfying offseason that restricts prolonged success. Just to address your straw man argument, no one here mentioned these 49ers and greatness. It takes time to build a winner, and O think our coach and GM are the guys to do it, so I am willing to watch them get it done over time. You disagree, that's fine. Will see who is proven right through the years, you or all of us idiots.

Amen brother.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Double quote fail

so true...d'oh !
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I think it's pretty clear why the Niners aren't getting any free agent commitments. They are offering short term deals to free agents that are looking for long term security.

I can somewhat understand their thinking, but they are limiting themselves in terms of the quality they will attract if they're only only looking at band aids and stop gaps.
Originally posted by kray28:
I think it's pretty clear why the Niners aren't getting any free agent commitments. They are offering short term deals to free agents that are looking for long term security.

I can somewhat understand their thinking, but they are limiting themselves in terms of the quality they will attract if they're only only looking at band aids and stop gaps.

Well, I can't totally disagree. However until JH establishes his rep in the NFL sans college-players don't know if they would be walking into a losing cause. Guys like NA and JJ etc., want to play for those who have a chance in the playoffs. Signing long term is more stable, but then what if you get like we got with Nate. If they first produce with the current regime we can always resign them to a longer term during the season or later. Saving you headaches of the cap and a mistake of wasted money, again like Nate and many others. History shows it.
we signed rodgers and that safety to one year deals, are there better DB FAs next year that were waiting for or something? or is it a really deep year for them next year in the draft?
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
we signed rodgers and that safety to one year deals, are there better DB FAs next year that were waiting for or something? or is it a really deep year for them next year in the draft?

Most of the FA's that didn't sign within the first couple days are now signing one year deals to test the market next year, its not just the niners its with every team. The saturated free agent market along with CBA uncertainty is the cause.
Originally posted by 5280High:

Most of the FA's that didn't sign within the first couple days are now signing one year deals to test the market next year, its not just the niners its with every team. The saturated free agent market along with CBA uncertainty is the cause.

i see. so there should be plenty of decent FAs next year.
Massive amounts of crow will be eaten in NT over the next couple days...

How is that so? Are we going to sign another second or third tier free agent. Wow! Malcom Floyd, he's so great that nobody wants him so far. Jonathan Goodwin, so great that the Saints put someone in as the starter. These guys are marginal starters at best.

If the Niners trade for Osi Umenyiora for a second rounder, then we can begin to talk about improvements to this roster.

Look around the league, majority of signings are short term (1-2) years. Teams are smatter commiting excessive money to players who are good/great from other teams sometimes become busts becasue they don't fit the scheme of the new team. Seeing if they do and later paying them if they are young enough is getting to be the norm. Also it is the same with the players-see if he likes the team and also playing for big money the next go round.

People are marveling at what Philly was done, but one reporter said that they are signing people left and right but have not totaled the affects of their signings and claimed that even the eagles won't know how it affects their cap until the new business season kicks in tomorrow (thursday).
Originally posted by WildBill:

Look around the league, majority of signings are short term (1-2) years. Teams are smatter commiting excessive money to players who are good/great from other teams sometimes become busts becasue they don't fit the scheme of the new team. Seeing if they do and later paying them if they are young enough is getting to be the norm. Also it is the same with the players-see if he likes the team and also playing for big money the next go round.

People are marveling at what Philly was done, but one reporter said that they are signing people left and right but have not totaled the affects of their signings and claimed that even the eagles won't know how it affects their cap until the new business season kicks in tomorrow (thursday).

would be funny if they over signed and had to start releasing good people lol

How is that so? Are we going to sign another second or third tier free agent. Wow! Malcom Floyd, he's so great that nobody wants him so far. Jonathan Goodwin, so great that the Saints put someone in as the starter. These guys are marginal starters at best.

If the Niners trade for Osi Umenyiora for a second rounder, then we can begin to talk about improvements to this roster.

While teams in the Nfc West have made a lot of moves, there are still a lot of teams in the NFL that haven't made many moves at all. I wonder if there are many other teams that have experienced the level of turnover the 49ers have.
Now that Rogers is signed maybe the naysayers will recognize that Har/Ballke may know a little bit about football and know how to get some FAs. We have three weeks to fill in the WR, Center, and possibly another CB before the season starts while developing our backups that are already here - Mays, Bowman, RJF, Tukuafu, R. Smith, Adams, R. Johnson, Perkins. If they get a winning season out of our team then we will say taht they know what they were doing.

No, they don't what they are doing. Sorry, signing a second or third tiered CB to a one-year contract is not going to resolve the many issues that could have, and should have been fixed a long time ago.

Separate yourself from being a Niners' fan for one second. Pretend your team is the Broncos. You would not have the same optimism. In fact, you would mock what the Niners are doing. It is simply not competitive.

I don't need to separate myself from being a Niners fan. I am one. But being a fan does not mean I can't be fairly objective. There is no doubt that it would be nice to have gotten Asomugah, but we didn't for whatever reasons. Since he was free to choose where he went he went for what he thought was best, not what we thought would be best for him.

I don't care if we signed a second or third tier CB in Rogers. We got one and in my humble opinion he is as good or better than Clements. So I am happy. But getting Rogers, or even Asomugah does not make us a champion. We still need to get enough pieces together to form a team, not just a collection of talents. Now if Harbaugh can do that and improve our team by 3 wins we will have a winning season. It is that simple for me.

If we can get Floyd, and a Center and a veteran backup QB, and anyone else that Har/Ballke get to firm up the team I with them. I personally do not expect the Niners to go to the Super Bowl, but I simply want to see improvement so that we are a consistent competitive team. I want a foundation that can be built upon so that I can see the path to the end product of a championship team. So we are off to see the wizard the wonderful wizard of Har/Bal.

We have been reading that s**t since 08. You cant just build thru the draft and sign s**t FAs and expect a winning season. You have to have a good mix of both and be aggressive. Plus the way we lowballed our own FAs it will only make other FAs stay away from us even more next season. This isnt a time for crow its a time for anger and disappointment.

I don't need to separate myself from being a Niners fan. I am one. But being a fan does not mean I can't be fairly objective. There is no doubt that it would be nice to have gotten Asomugah, but we didn't for whatever reasons. Since he was free to choose where he went he went for what he thought was best, not what we thought would be best for him.

I don't care if we signed a second or third tier CB in Rogers. We got one and in my humble opinion he is as good or better than Clements. So I am happy. But getting Rogers, or even Asomugah does not make us a champion. We still need to get enough pieces together to form a team, not just a collection of talents. Now if Harbaugh can do that and improve our team by 3 wins we will have a winning season. It is that simple for me.

If we can get Floyd, and a Center and a veteran backup QB, and anyone else that Har/Ballke get to firm up the team I with them. I personally do not expect the Niners to go to the Super Bowl, but I simply want to see improvement so that we are a consistent competitive team. I want a foundation that can be built upon so that I can see the path to the end product of a championship team. So we are off to see the wizard the wonderful wizard of Har/Bal.

If you want to see improvement and, eventually, a consistent, competitive team then fundamental changes need to take place within the organization. Because not signing Nnamdi or some of the other key free agents is the by-product of the philosophy imposed by ownership, which has led to this franchise's systemic, decade-long demise. We are no longer looked at as a destination team, nor should we be viewed as such given ownership's consistent mismanagement of this franchise.

My only hope is that Harbaugh turns out to be a very solid developer of talent and looks to this year as his one opportunity to create the "base" of this team for the next 4-5 years. Of all the rookies and undrafted FAs, if Harbaugh can find and develop a few gems then I think the franchise is on to something. Only then would making huge splashes in free agency make sense - to add those final, missing pieces to an already competitive team. I realize that coming from the Nolan and Singletary years most people are very impatient and want/deserve a more-competitive team immediately. But if Harbaugh's goal is to build "his" team, I don't mind avoiding adding a ton of free agents this year. We could be a very young and highly coach-able team. Not necessarily a bad thing for a first year professional coach coming out of college that is used to coaching young and, presumably, coach-able athletes.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

We have been reading that s**t since 08. You cant just build thru the draft and sign s**t FAs and expect a winning season. You have to have a good mix of both and be aggressive. Plus the way we lowballed our own FAs it will only make other FAs stay away from us even more next season. This isnt a time for crow its a time for anger and disappointment.

Perhaps we lowballed our own FAs, because they weren't that good to begin with.

Better question, what were the offers to Clements, Franklin, Lawson, Spikes, and LaBoy?

Seems like you're saying we should spend heavily on a bunch of guys that their own teams are indifferent about bringing back. Who were the big FA signings by the Patriots in 2000 and 2001? Who were the marquee names the Steelers signed in 2003 and 2004?
Share 49ersWebzone