There are 164 users in the forums

Do free agents want to play for the 49ers ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Cromartie? Cowpokes interested in Goldson.

[ Edited by Niners4ever on Jul 29, 2011 at 09:05:43 ]
Originally posted by dbdublin:
Sounds like you have it about right. Even our own free agents don't want to re-sign.

Which just shows how f**king pathetic this team and ownership are.
Originally posted by OhioNinerfanatic:
With the first pick of the 2012 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers select Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford.

And we would still have like 4 holes on defense, no center, and yet another rook or unproven QB starting.
Sounds like you have it about right. Even our own free agents don't want to re-sign.

I think what it really comes down to is the new coaching staff doesn't want to commit a lot of money to players that it hasn't seen practice and play. They want to build the team roster the way they want. If you look at the Niner FA list and what the salary cap is this year, I can understand that. I really thought Baas did a fine job at center last year but I wouldn't pay him top 3-4 center money...not now anyway.

Pete Carroll did the same thing in Seattle last year. He let go of several established vets in the beginning and p*ssed off a lot of people. However...his team improved and got to the second round in the playoffs.

Harbaugh is an excellent coach. His first year or so may be a bit bumpy but I think he will get this organization pointing in the right direction soon.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by OhioNinerfanatic:
With the first pick of the 2012 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers select Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford.

If this happened, I would cream my pants at work.

So will you be creaming your pants each time we lose?

Don't get it.

F**k Andrew Luck.

Andrew Luck is more NFL ready now than Alex Smith is after 6-7 years in the league. If we got him, we would instantly be better. With Alex Smith at QB, we instantly are worse.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Niners have a built a reputation....and it will take a long time to overcome that reputation.

Basically they have to build from within and become contenders. They will not get free agent freebies for sure.

So find, develop, and build your talent the old fashioned way. It all starts with a franchise level commitment to winning, one that simply doesn't exist now.
Who wouldnt want to play in a bay area team? The sunshine, the fresh air coast, the beaches. Must be the expensive living thats leading FAs away.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

I think what it really comes down to is the new coaching staff doesn't want to commit a lot of money to players that it hasn't seen practice and play. They want to build the team roster the way they want. If you look at the Niner FA list and what the salary cap is this year, I can understand that. I really thought Baas did a fine job at center last year but I wouldn't pay him top 3-4 center money...not now anyway.

Pete Carroll did the same thing in Seattle last year. He let go of several established vets in the beginning and p*ssed off a lot of people. However...his team improved and got to the second round in the playoffs.

Harbaugh is an excellent coach. His first year or so may be a bit bumpy but I think he will get this organization pointing in the right direction soon.

That's EXACTLY what we thought with Nolan. Granted, Harbaugh is probably a better coach than Nolan, but as long as the Yorks and Baalke are in charge, he won't be able to do anything. Don't expect a Stanford-style turnaround.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

Harbaugh is unproven...we'll see how good of a coach he really is.

But with ownership like this, coaching might not really matter.

The Niners will have a huge hurdle to leap over...they have a culture of losing that will be hard to leave behind.

You need to ask yourself why that culture exists in the first place though.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Who wouldnt want to play in a bay area team? The sunshine, the fresh air coast, the beaches. Must be the expensive living thats leading FAs away.

have you ever been to the bay area?

• kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by ace49ers:

have you ever been to the bay area?

Beaches in SF ftw!!!
As a free agent who is actually considering winning and not being grossly overpaid, who would you sign with? A franchise like the Jets who have a well established ownership, a strong front office, a proven winning head coach, and a team that has been a solid contender for the last couple of years? Or a franchise like the 49ers who have a kid as the team president, a scout as GM, pretty much no other football minds in the front office, and a coach who hasn't even coached a down in the league, and is coming up on an entire decade of not making the playoffs?

Top teams in the league (NE, NY Jets, PHI, GB) create a strong front office that drafts well. Once the winning starts it all falls into place with free agency and trades. Franchises like the 49ers keep hiring under-qualified people like McLoughan and Baalke and just mire between the abyss and mediocrity. This is has been the cycle for the last ten years.
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
As a free agent who is actually considering winning and not being grossly overpaid, who would you sign with? A franchise like the Jets who have a well established ownership, a strong front office, a proven winning head coach, and a team that has been a solid contender for the last couple of years? Or a franchise like the 49ers who have a kid as the team president, a scout as GM, pretty much no other football minds in the front office, and a coach who hasn't even coached a down in the league, and is coming up on an entire decade of not making the playoffs?

Top teams in the league (NE, NY Jets, PHI, GB) create a strong front office that drafts well. Once the winning starts it all falls into place with free agency and trades. Franchises like the 49ers keep hiring under-qualified people like McLoughan and Baalke and just mire between the abyss and mediocrity. This is has been the cycle for the last ten years.

This!!!
  • dj43
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by susweel:
Been thinking about this free agency and I've come to the conclusion that most free agents dont want to play for the 49ers.

The team hasn't been relevant in the NFL for almost a decade.
And it will take a premium FA price to overcome this, even then, by the time a player has been in the league 4 or 5 years, he wants to be on a team with a future.

Quote:
Ownership is known as cheap asses around the league.
I don't agree with cheap, just don't know what they are doing. You go from Daddy York who had NO CLUE how to run an NFL franchise to a 28 YOS college kid who had never run anything...and you expect players, via their agent's advice, to respect that? No way.
Quote:
Rookie HC and rookie GM.
Yep, that will get figured in. More the coach than the GM but don't overlook the agent's advice to the player about how the GM operates.
Quote:
Worst stadium in the NFL.
A factor but a lesser one.
Quote:
Cost of living is high and state taxes are high.
This is a HUGE one if you are comparing to states like Texas with no state income tax. It automatically means the 49ers have to pay 11% more than the Texans or Cowboys just to stay even in the bidding. Now that we are in a salary cap situation, that could well have been the deal breaker in the J. Joseph sweepstakes.

All us 49ers fans that live in California have chosen, or been forced to overlook some of the negatives of living here. We are here by choice or family or job, but for players who have multiple options in other states, they will look more critically at things like the cost of living and the highest tax rate in the nation.

We may get Asomugha. I will be surprised and delighted if we do, but for a lot of the rest of the FA pool, the fact that Spikes and Baas left so quickly when given the chance tells me that they do not see this franchise as having much chance for success. Others will see that and it will influence their decision.

The only way we really can get top notch players is if we over pay.

am I wrong on this one ???

You need to get players who grew up in the bay area and want to play in front of the hometown crowd, (ie Nedney, Brent Jones, etc). Heck if the niners focused on drafting players from Cal and Stanford, they might do all right.

Vastly over played sentiment. Pros want to get paid and work with a good organization. This whole guys from Cali thing is a myth. And if you focused on drafting from those schools, you'd have one sorry ass team. Yep, being a Cal guy didn't work out so well for Nnamdi.

BOTTOM LINE: Harbaugh and staff will have to work some wonders with the current roster to build some respect around the league. That is going to take some time. We are in the process of losing four starters from last season, all of them from important positions. More losses may be on the way. (Baas, Spikes, Franklin, Clements; assume Lawson and possibly Goldson) Even though there are some young players on the roster, it is highly unlikely they will perform as well as what has left. The result is that this will likely be a two year project to get this team to .500.

I don't mean to be Negative Nancy but this franchise just does not have much to appeal to a player with any kind of choices at all.
Originally posted by kray28:
Niners have a built a reputation....and it will take a long time to overcome that reputation.

Basically they have to build from within and become contenders. They will not get free agent freebies for sure.

So find, develop, and build your talent the old fashioned way. It all starts with a franchise level commitment to winning, one that simply doesn't exist now.[/quote]

With all due respect, if that was the case, we wouldn't have made the move for Harbaugh and sht canned Sing and his crew. (Have to start some where). I believe the FO understood we HAD to pump the brakes and move in a completely new direction, but like you said, we're not committed to winning.

[ Edited by ObePwnD on Jul 29, 2011 at 11:41:39 ]
Share 49ersWebzone