There are 178 users in the forums

Do free agents want to play for the 49ers ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Oh yeah, I forgot to add that Nate Clements is probably laughing his ass off right now watching us stumble while trying to sign someone to replace him.
Today is the first today we can officially sign free agent's. I think I'm gonna wait and see what transpires this weekend before I jump off a bridge. I think we pick up a couple of good players this weekend.
Sounds like you have it about right. Even our own free agents don't want to re-sign.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Oh yeah, I forgot to add that Nate Clements is probably laughing his ass off right now watching us stumble while trying to sign someone to replace him.

We're probably on the phone right now asking if he will come back. No joke.
David Akers wants to play for us.
Originally posted by DONBIS:
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
If Asomugha signs with the 49ers I think that will go a long way towards regaining credibility around the league. To sign a big name free agent like that would show people that the 49ers are serious about winning. Realistically, I don't think he will sign here. I would love to be proven wrong. As long as they don't give him some ridiculous contract that will hurt the team in the long run.

Well if there's any truth to the list of probable teams for Nnamdi to land on (9ers & jets) , I honestly think it should be us. We've got to be able to offer more money than the jets. Obviously there team is a bit more developed than ours and offers a better chance of getting into the playoff mix. Staying in Cali with the 9ers also has its Pros as well and ya'll allready know what those are.

The jets play in a much tougher division than we do, so how do they have a better chance to make the playoffs?
With the first pick of the 2012 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers select Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford.
Originally posted by Lifer:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by DraftaQB:
NFL network - Niners dropped out of Nnomdi race

Good. We had no business in it in the first place.

Problem is we wasted two days focusing on Nnamdi while other teams were cherry picking Baas and Spikes. Two days into FA and the 49ers are significantly WORSE off than they were at the start. I thought you were supposed to use FA to shore up your roster, not run a yard sale for the rest of the league. The Texans had the sense to pull out yesterday and land the best value CB on the market. Baalke hung around too long and now we're left holding the bag. No Nnamdi, no Joseph, no Clements, no starting Center. Baalke is starting to look like a complete rube.

Man, are you ever on point with this. It seems like we really didn't prepare for FA. I realize Baalke is relatively new as GM, but he isn't new to the Front Office--he has been a part of the suckage for years. Now that Nnamdi isn't coming, it will be tough to imagine what we could do to pull out of this latest debacle. All i can do is hope there is something brewing that will surprise us all in a great way, but.....I doubt it.
Originally posted by OhioNinerfanatic:
With the first pick of the 2012 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers select Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford.

If this happened, I would cream my pants at work.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by susweel:
Been thinking about this free agency and I've come to the conclusion that most free agents dont want to play for the 49ers.

The team hasn't been relevant in the NFL for almost a decade.
And it will take a premium FA price to overcome this, even then, by the time a player has been in the league 4 or 5 years, he wants to be on a team with a future.

Quote:
Ownership is known as cheap asses around the league.
I don't agree with cheap, just don't know what they are doing. You go from Daddy York who had NO CLUE how to run an NFL franchise to a 28 YOS college kid who had never run anything...and you expect players, via their agent's advice, to respect that? No way.
Quote:
Rookie HC and rookie GM.
Yep, that will get figured in. More the coach than the GM but don't overlook the agent's advice to the player about how the GM operates.
Quote:
Worst stadium in the NFL.
A factor but a lesser one.
Quote:
Cost of living is high and state taxes are high.
This is a HUGE one if you are comparing to states like Texas with no state income tax. It automatically means the 49ers have to pay 11% more than the Texans or Cowboys just to stay even in the bidding. Now that we are in a salary cap situation, that could well have been the deal breaker in the J. Joseph sweepstakes.

All us 49ers fans that live in California have chosen, or been forced to overlook some of the negatives of living here. We are here by choice or family or job, but for players who have multiple options in other states, they will look more critically at things like the cost of living and the highest tax rate in the nation.

We may get Asomugha. I will be surprised and delighted if we do, but for a lot of the rest of the FA pool, the fact that Spikes and Baas left so quickly when given the chance tells me that they do not see this franchise as having much chance for success. Others will see that and it will influence their decision.

The only way we really can get top notch players is if we over pay.

am I wrong on this one ???

You need to get players who grew up in the bay area and want to play in front of the hometown crowd, (ie Nedney, Brent Jones, etc). Heck if the niners focused on drafting players from Cal and Stanford, they might do all right.

Won't happen. We'll suck, but not enough to be in position to draft Luck. We're f**ked as long as the YORKS are in charge.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by susweel:
Been thinking about this free agency and I've come to the conclusion that most free agents dont want to play for the 49ers.

The team hasn't been relevant in the NFL for almost a decade.
And it will take a premium FA price to overcome this, even then, by the time a player has been in the league 4 or 5 years, he wants to be on a team with a future.

Quote:
Ownership is known as cheap asses around the league.
I don't agree with cheap, just don't know what they are doing. You go from Daddy York who had NO CLUE how to run an NFL franchise to a 28 YOS college kid who had never run anything...and you expect players, via their agent's advice, to respect that? No way.
Quote:
Rookie HC and rookie GM.
Yep, that will get figured in. More the coach than the GM but don't overlook the agent's advice to the player about how the GM operates.
Quote:
Worst stadium in the NFL.
A factor but a lesser one.
Quote:
Cost of living is high and state taxes are high.
This is a HUGE one if you are comparing to states like Texas with no state income tax. It automatically means the 49ers have to pay 11% more than the Texans or Cowboys just to stay even in the bidding. Now that we are in a salary cap situation, that could well have been the deal breaker in the J. Joseph sweepstakes.

All us 49ers fans that live in California have chosen, or been forced to overlook some of the negatives of living here. We are here by choice or family or job, but for players who have multiple options in other states, they will look more critically at things like the cost of living and the highest tax rate in the nation.

We may get Asomugha. I will be surprised and delighted if we do, but for a lot of the rest of the FA pool, the fact that Spikes and Baas left so quickly when given the chance tells me that they do not see this franchise as having much chance for success. Others will see that and it will influence their decision.

The only way we really can get top notch players is if we over pay.

am I wrong on this one ???

You need to get players who grew up in the bay area and want to play in front of the hometown crowd, (ie Nedney, Brent Jones, etc). Heck if the niners focused on drafting players from Cal and Stanford, they might do all right.
Vastly over played sentiment. Pros want to get paid and work with a good organization. This whole guys from Cali thing is a myth. And if you focused on drafting from those schools, you'd have one sorry ass team.
Originally posted by PTulini:
I know the perception is that ownership is cheap, but I don't think that's the case anymore. If anything, I think we don't spent the money wisely.

You mean Nate Clements wasn't a wise signing
Originally posted by bigmike55:

If this happened, I would cream my pants at work.

So will you be creaming your pants each time we lose?

Don't get it.

F**k Andrew Luck.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by DONBIS:
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
If Asomugha signs with the 49ers I think that will go a long way towards regaining credibility around the league. To sign a big name free agent like that would show people that the 49ers are serious about winning. Realistically, I don't think he will sign here. I would love to be proven wrong. As long as they don't give him some ridiculous contract that will hurt the team in the long run.

Well if there's any truth to the list of probable teams for Nnamdi to land on (9ers & jets) , I honestly think it should be us. We've got to be able to offer more money than the jets. Obviously there team is a bit more developed than ours and offers a better chance of getting into the playoff mix. Staying in Cali with the 9ers also has its Pros as well and ya'll allready know what those are.

The jets play in a much tougher division than we do, so how do they have a better chance to make the playoffs?

Have you not watched football the past two years. Their team is tough. Their only comp in the AFC East is the Pats, they beat em once last year in the regular season and once in the playoffs. You would think they would be able to duplicate that or better this year and in the future.

Why are you coming at me with that question anyway? It doesnt matter if their division is tougher they are still gonna win games. Just becasue our division was horrid last year doesnt mean its gonna happen like that again this year. We might win 10 or 11 games or maybe the rams will win more, the seahawks probably wont but maybe the cardinals get 10 or so but its not gonna be won with a 7-9 record again. I'll wager on that.
Share 49ersWebzone