LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 206 users in the forums

Screw it, let's rebuild

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hate seeing 49ers fans giving up so easily... so quickly.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by jreff22:
I have a bellybutton

does it stink?

mine does

You can get your nose ll the way own to your belly button?

Jealous!
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
to echo some others: aren't we already?

I think we can compete in our s**t division this year, but we are clearly rebuilding. The entire defense will be overhauled, so will several important positions on offense.

Just curious, is this at all a suprise to you? I feel like this FA overhaul has caught me off guard a little. Especially adding in the Gore hold out.

I know it's early, but there just seems to be a lot more subtraction than addition.

we've signed 20 rookies, re-signed Wragge and MacDonald, and we're apparently pursuing Asomugha. We've lost Spikes and Baas and Carr. It's the first day of Free Agency.

also, just to add, I'm a little surprised that we had no interest in Spikes, but I would not have wanted to match the deal he got from San Diego. As for Baas, I'm surprised, but I'll wait until I see the deal he got before judging. Baas was solid last year but not worth breaking the bank over.

The Gore hold-out is a shock, but you can't blame the front office for that. they'll fix that, I'm confident.

I'm really glad the FO is reportedly going after Asomugha, a huge need and a great player. Other than that I am glad that they aren't trying to make "splash" deals. A new coach and a basically new GM are always going to change the roster dramatically, especially the first year, so that shouldn't be a surprise.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Meh... if we win games, none of this matters.

HARBAUGH!
Originally posted by Wodwo:

HARBAUGH!

Yeah... yeah, I know. I'm just disappointed. Guess through this stretch of fugly years, we lost a lot of 9erfaithfuls to the abyss.

Counting on Jim to restore the faith.

I think we can compete in our s**t division this year, but we are clearly rebuilding. The entire defense will be overhauled, so will several important positions on offense.

Just curious, is this at all a suprise to you? I feel like this FA overhaul has caught me off guard a little. Especially adding in the Gore hold out.

I know it's early, but there just seems to be a lot more subtraction than addition.

we've signed 20 rookies, re-signed Wragge and MacDonald, and we're apparently pursuing Asomugha. We've lost Spikes and Baas and Carr. It's the first day of Free Agency.

also, just to add, I'm a little surprised that we had no interest in Spikes, but I would not have wanted to match the deal he got from San Diego. As for Baas, I'm surprised, but I'll wait until I see the deal he got before judging. Baas was solid last year but not worth breaking the bank over.

The Gore hold-out is a shock, but you can't blame the front office for that. they'll fix that, I'm confident.

I'm really glad the FO is reportedly going after Asomugha, a huge need and a great player. Other than that I am glad that they aren't trying to make "splash" deals. A new coach and a basically new GM are always going to change the roster dramatically, especially the first year, so that shouldn't be a surprise.

While I don't believe that the details to Baas contract has be released...It's been stated on this forum a few times. It was reported that his contract should put him up there with the highest paid centers in the league. I believe top 3. I'm glad we didn't match it.
Originally posted by drake49er:

While I don't believe that the details to Baas contract has be released...It's been stated on this forum a few times. It was reported that his contract should put him up there with the highest paid centers in the league. I believe top 3. I'm glad we didn't match it.

oh, lord, if that's true, then its absurd and I'm glad we stayed away.
The top 3 center salary would probably put him at about 4-6 mil per year... I think... too lazy to check.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oscar:
Lets be honest. We have a rookie QB in the wings, a very young Oline, WR Corp and a TE not yet in his prime. Our defense has been gutted, and Willis and Justin Smith are the only two must haves. We might as well trim the fat (older Vets) and start signing young up-and-comers. I dont see us being competitive for at least two years the way this off-season is shaping up. So with that said, any clown that doesn't want to be on this team not named Davis or Willis, let them walk.

We've been rebuilding since 2003. I think the division, even for us, is within striking distance.

Exactly, I am tired of rebuilding. I want a team that at least can expect to have a chance to win. By win I mean at least 9-7. I am not willing to go back to 2-14 again, I have lived through that 3 freaking times, that is enough of that.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

HARBAUGH!

Yeah... yeah, I know. I'm just disappointed. Guess through this stretch of fugly years, we lost a lot of 9erfaithfuls to the abyss.

Counting on Jim to restore the faith.

Alot of what you're concerned about is the noise made by a fanbase with extremely high expectations. Perhaps unrealistic expectations at times, but remember, we were spoiled for more than a decade by one of the greatest dynastys ever in sports.

We may never see a run like it again in any sport. It was the rarest combination of great leadership/ownership; genius coaching; and unbelievably great athletic performances week after week, position after position, from QB to DB and everyone in between.

When I read negative posts from some guys, I know that they really are faithful fans. They're just dealing with their disappointment. They wouldn't be disappointed if they weren't fans. They still care about the Niners. They're still faithful. Lets not sell them short, even if we momentarily disagree with their viewpoint.

We were 6-10, we are already rebuilding. What all-pro's or recent pro-bowlers have we lost this off-season?

None of these losses are really all that surprising. Solid players had career years in their contract year, nothing new, and they are cashing in while they can. Zoners kind of expected player loyalty but it's a business. There is always a team willing to overpay for a player, and our FO let them walk because their perceived value didnt match their contract demands.

Baas got replaced at guard and only started due to another players injury, but he stepped up and got rewarded for it. Time for other players to do the same.

Just to reiterate... 6-10, that was with an inept coaching staff and QB carousel. It's hard to imagine us getting any worse when the team is still young and the majority intact.
Originally posted by BobS:
Lets be honest. We have a rookie QB in the wings, a very young Oline, WR Corp and a TE not yet in his prime. Our defense has been gutted, and Willis and Justin Smith are the only two must haves. We might as well trim the fat (older Vets) and start signing young up-and-comers. I dont see us being competitive for at least two years the way this off-season is shaping up. So with that said, any clown that doesn't want to be on this team not named Davis or Willis, let them walk.

We've been rebuilding since 2003. I think the division, even for us, is within striking distance.

Exactly, I am tired of rebuilding. I want a team that at least can expect to have a chance to win. By win I mean at least 9-7. I am not willing to go back to 2-14 again, I have lived through that 3 freaking times, that is enough of that.

I'm with you man. I just hope we aren't putting all our eggs in the Nnamdi basket.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 27, 2011 at 20:02:52 ]

I'm with you man. I just hope we aren't putting all our eggs in the Nnamdi basket.

If you and I are able to see that as a bad idea, don't you think Baalke/Harbaugh do too? I'm ignoring work to think about it; they're getting paid, alot, to think about it.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

If you and I are able to see that as a bad idea, don't you think Baalke/Harbaugh do too? I'm ignoring work to think about it; they're getting paid, alot, to think about it.

I'm sure you're right, but we will probably never know.

I've had enough for today. Goodnight fellas!

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 27, 2011 at 20:36:18 ]
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
THERE IS NO TOMMORROW

The SF Giants did it with misfits.
We have the coaching.

We were favorites to go to the playoffs and most had us in the Super Bowl last year.

We're almost there. Keep the faith.

Love the attitude!
Share 49ersWebzone