LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Baalke could be right

Shop Find 49ers gear online
With our free agent losses, they are thinking very logically and i agree with their moves or lack of moves so far.

Franklin leaves and ICE replaces him so Ray Mac moves to DE= a little worse against the run...a few yards per game but better pass rush for sure

TKO leaves and bowman replaces him= not much of a drop off in run or pass coverage, and bowman has tons of speed (what did he have 17 tackles in the arizona game?)

Lawson leaves and replaced by Aldon Smith/Brooks= a little worse against the run but better against the pass

Goldson...if he leaves Reggie smith takes over and Mays starts opposite him= save a few million on the cap, lose a few tackles and maybe 3 or so int's (but then again Smith might perform well and so may Mays)

These losses total to our team Defense being worse against the run but better against the pass which is more important these days and is where our team has struggled for the past 5 years. This is what we all wanted to become better against the pass and for that to happen, we need 1 more cb for sure but our improved pass rush might help out clements (if he stays) and compamy.

What do you think about this line of reasoning?

I think so far as a unit on D, we lost some run D but gained pass rush.....and of we actually get a cb like cromartie or joseph our pass d will excell.
We still haven't heard about Bass yet. Also, I think OP and some of the other Webzoners think that Bowman is better than he has played so far. Losing Spikes hurts.
Originally posted by jta854:
We still haven't heard about Bass yet. Also, I think OP and some of the other Webzoners think that Bowman is better than he has played so far. Losing Spikes hurts.

baas and mcdonald will both sign if given fair contracts both have come to facilities
ian williams, alex smith as our only hints of signees is not smart. we have been a mediocre team and need better players. im not saying sign nnamdi, dahl, charles johnson, lron mcclain, and (insert good qb here) but we need to make a move or two.

obviously developing from within has not been a strong suit
Originally posted by redrathman:
[/quo

impressive. Anything to add? Probably not.
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
ian williams, alex smith as our only hints of signees is not smart. we have been a mediocre team and need better players. im not saying sign nnamdi, dahl, charles johnson, lron mcclain, and (insert good qb here) but we need to make a move or two.

well within we have a few great pieces in gore willis vernon and some really good pieces in iupati not to mention some solid players in staley baas goldson crabtree (will be at least solid)...

we do need a better rg and cb and qb......but for now ill be happy with a cb
You can see why the D had no playbooks handed out to them in that small window of opportunity during the lockout, or maybe it was because one wasnt in completion. Anyways a lot of moves on the D. I hope these moves add to our top run stop and add something to our pass D because it needs help.
I just want us to sign another Corner and another OG and UDFA don't count to me lol. I want a vet
Originally posted by elguapo:

well within we have a few great pieces in gore willis vernon and some really good pieces in iupati not to mention some solid players in staley baas goldson crabtree (will be at least solid)...

You have Goldson highly overrated IMO.

Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

He said Goldson was solid. That isn't highly overrated.

If we lose Goldson (who I hope we don't) I'd like to bring in Eric Weddle for a cheaper price. Also, make Nate take a paycut or go after Jonathan Joseph.
Two years ago Goldson was doing great, and really had a productive season. This past year though he went backwards, we have no defense to defend passes down the middle, Goldson got burned a lot last year. I guess they have high expectations but I have a feeling were going to overpay for him.
Originally posted by Gelder:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

He said Goldson was solid. That isn't highly overrated.

If we lose Goldson (who I hope we don't) I'd like to bring in Eric Weddle for a cheaper price. Also, make Nate take a paycut or go after Jonathan Joseph.

Wait, how the hell do you see Weddle being CHEAPER than Goldson?
Originally posted by brooklyn49er:
Two years ago Goldson was doing great, and really had a productive season. This past year though he went backwards, we have no defense to defend passes down the middle, Goldson got burned a lot last year. I guess they have high expectations but I have a feeling were going to overpay for him.

Goldson had ONE good game his entire career thus far. Take out that one game, he hasn't been very good, not even solid. He doesn't cover well, he doesn't tackle well. Of course, that could have been a product of bad coaching during his time with the 49ers, much like the rest of the team.

We have a new coaching staff, so we can't really say this will be the case going forward.
Share 49ersWebzone