There are 144 users in the forums

any one worried that we couldnt resign tko?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Can't blame TKO for wanting to play with a real Qb.
Originally posted by susweel:

Yeah, I'm sure his agent was worried about that too.
Originally posted by 190836:
Not anymore, he is gone. Yorks are at it again. Lets get rid of all the good players.

ZOMG!11! Are Willis, Gore, Iupati and Davis next?

C'mon, dude.
Originally posted by dj43:
Mixed feelings.
Pro:
He was a good leader and role model. Also very good against the run.

Con:
ILBs past the age of 34 tend to hit the wall rather quickly and with little warning.
He was a liability in coverage.

Summary: Sounds like a Walsh-esque move of allowing a player to leave with a little left in the tank as opposed to waiting until he had nothing and was just taking a roster spot.

When was he a liability in coverage??? Matt Cassel tore apart Navarro Bowman til dingleberry took him out for Spikes again.

I wish we had him for another year but it is what it is. He was definitely 1 of my favorite players in the short time he was in San Fran and i know he'll do good in san diego w/ Manusky.
I think TKO wanted to be in the playoffs and he thought San Diego was his best chance. The guy has played forever and never appeared in a playoff game.
Originally posted by YOUNGster08:
Originally posted by susweel:

Yeah, I'm sure his agent was worried about that too.

I'm bummed about TKO leaving too but I understand it. He is 34 years old and will soon decline. We drafted a very talented prospect in Navorro Bowman to take his place. Let's see what the young man can do.
just clearin up some cap space to sign Asomugha. Don't know if i'm ready to drop Goldston yet. It's tough to judge some players for last year under Singletary. Even Willis had his moments last year..
Originally posted by dbdublin:
I think TKO wanted to be in the playoffs and he thought San Diego was his best chance. The guy has played forever and never appeared in a playoff game.

From the reports that I've seen, San Diego was willing to show him the money and the niners interest in re-signing him was lukewarm. Oh well, I really think he would have come back if we had matched them.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
No. We're headed for a rebuilding year anyway. I think TKO obviously saw the same thing.
I was surprised to see this today, I thought TKO would be back.

I'm not worried that the team "couldn't" resign him, I'm thinking more along the lines that the team didn't really want him.

Can this be a sign of things to come? Out with the old/slow and in with the new/fast? Or maybe TKO just doesn't fit with what the Niners are trying to do on defense now?

Worried we will have a gaping hole left in the middle of our defense. Curious to hear what the terms of the deal are and how much $$$ was saved in not re-signing him. Not likely that we find a replacement that can fill his shoes, but i have confidence in this coaching staff to prepare who ever it is that steps up.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Let's not forget Manusky is in San Diego. That automatically gave the Chargers a leg up because TKO doesn't have to learn a new defense coming off a 4 month lockout.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
I was surprised to see this today, I thought TKO would be back.

I'm not worried that the team "couldn't" resign him, I'm thinking more along the lines that the team didn't really want him.

Can this be a sign of things to come? Out with the old/slow and in with the new/fast? Or maybe TKO just doesn't fit with what the Niners are trying to do on defense now?

Just supposition, but it could very well be that Harbaugh et al. have made some general decisions about which players they want, based on the kind of offense and defense they want to run. They're inclined towards young, aggressive, versatile, and fast. If this is so, players like TKO (near end of career), Franklin (underachiever), and Lawson (not versatile enough) may be seen as expendable since they'd hold back other players from experience and growth.
I'm worried that the team will go the conservative route jus because a few of our higher paid free agents didn't pan out. Nnamdi is a no brainer for this team and I still haven't heard our names in any talks other than for Goldson or Alex Smith. I am worried that we are on the path of failure because we really have no addressed any of the needs yet after day one. All I want is for them to show me they are trying to acquire the best talent.

[ Edited by socalfan21 on Jul 26, 2011 at 21:30:02 ]
TKO is losing his edge somewhat.
Share 49ersWebzone