LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

2011-2012 49ers Off Season Signings (FA's and/or Trades)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by niners_guy:
As it's been mentioned.. I'll take a bunch of dropped INTs over falling for double moves. An incompletion is an incompletion. Latest from Maiocco in case you didn't see it:

Quote:

The phone picked up at NFL Films headquarters early Wednesday morning and when the caller identified himself, the voice on the other end did not hesitate.

"Carlos Rogers has a lot of ability but no confidence."

Greg Cosell, senior producer at NFL Films, watches more NFL coaches film than anyone not affiliated with a team. And he's not afraid to share his unvarnished opinions.

The 49ers filled a hole at cornerback Tuesday night when they signed former Washington Redskins cornerback Carlos Rogers to a one-year contract while he was on a visit to meet with coaches and team officials in Santa Clara.

Rogers replaces Nate Clements, whom the 49ers cut last week to save more than $15 million in cap space. Clements quickly signed a two-year, $10.5 million contract with the Cincinnati Bengals.

"Clements has passed the point where he's an effective down-to-down corner,' Cosell said.

Rogers is only 19 months younger than Clements, but Clements has played four more NFL seasons. Rogers was a ninth overall pick in the 2005 draft. Clements was chosen 21st overall in 2001.

"I think Carlos has a better physical skill set than Nate Clements at this point in their careers," Cosell said. "But Rogers plays with big cushions and gives up a lot of competitions.

"I can't speak to what's in his mind, but watching him I've always gotten the impression that he doesn't get amnesia like a cornerback should. He seems to get troubled when he's beaten and it impacts the way he plays."

Cosell added, "His skill set is not exactly Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, but he could be a top-10 corner in this league. You wouldn't nickname him, 'Toast,' but he's not as good or consistent as he could be. Now when it comes down to different coaching staffs, I'm sure a lot of them would watch him and say, 'He's pretty good.'"

link

Should benefit from the rah rah coach that is Harbaugh. And watching some videos he's equally as physical as Clements.

Also, people should look at his yards allowed and points scored against. Two under appreciated stats IMO.
I love the signing but I was hoping for a multi-year deal. If he has a good season and we don't improve overall as a team we might be searching for a starting CB all over again next off season.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I saw this question asked in an article.

Can he out run Roddy White ?
  • Jiks
Quote:
Current 49ers general manager Trent Baalke, who signed Rogers today to a one-year deal, was part of the Redskins scouting department in 2005, meaning that he would have scouted him very heavily that spring.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/08/rogers-for-clements-swap-a-good-one-expert-says.html#ixzz1Tz3vWNpI
Originally posted by susweel:

Good morning Sus.
Everyone will start b***h'en when they discover he has "brick hands", ping pong paddle hands, iron fingers, starch hands, cement hands. Nicknames: Stoney, Plywood, Sheet metal.
great. maybe he can play Center too.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by susweel:

Good morning Sus.

what's up buddy
  • Jiks
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
Everyone will start b***h'en when they discover he has "brick hands", ping pong paddle hands, iron fingers, starch hands, cement hands. Nicknames: Stoney, Plywood, Sheet metal.

He should get with Vernon Davis?

Volley ball it to our safety ?

id bet money u never knew rogers had "brick hands" before we signed him, sick of people acting like they know what there talking about just by reading someones blog...
This has got to be one of the most polarizing signings recently. I'm hearing many opinions ranging from typical fans, to "experts" and the one consistent that resonates is; lots of talent and potential, but lack of confidence paired with brick hands.

Well, I'm switching from my view on this and am now cautiously optimistic considering Rogers' coach will now be a solid, proven DB coach. Reminder of Donatell's resume to refresh some memories:

Quote:
Donatell, 53, brings 32 years of coaching experience, including 20 years of service in the NFL, to the 49ers. He has worked with several of the most highly regarded defensive backs in NFL history, including Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater, LeRoy Butler, Darren Sharper, Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins.

Most recently, Donatell served as the secondary coach with the Denver Broncos from 2009-10. In two seasons with the Broncos, the team ranked seventh in the NFL in opponent completion percentage (58.8) and ninth in passing yards per game (223.7).

Prior to working as the defensive coordinator for the University of Washington in 2008 and a special assistant for the New York Jets in 2007, Donatell served as the defensive coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons from 2004-06.

Donatell spent four seasons as Green Bay’s defensive coordinator (2000-03), helping the Packers lead the NFL with 116 takeaways from 2001 to 2003. Green Bay advanced to the playoffs during each of those three seasons, including the 2001 and 2002 campaigns when they won the NFC North title.

In Donatell’s first stint with the Broncos (1995-99) he served as the team’s secondary coach and won back-to-back Super Bowls in 1998 an 1999. The Broncos ranked seventh in the league in both passing yards per game (199.6) and passing yards per attempt allowed (6.5), en route to earning three playoff berths under Donatell. The Broncos also ranked in the top 10 against the pass in four of Donatell’s five seasons as defensive backs coach.

Donatell made his NFL coaching debut as the secondary coach with the New York Jets from 1990-94, where he worked with Lott in the final two seasons of his career.

Prior to making the jump to the NFL, Donatell spent 11 seasons in the collegiate ranks. He served as the defensive backs coach at Cal State-Fullerton (1989), the University of Idaho (1986-88) and the University of Pacific (1983-85). He also was a graduate assistant at the University of Washington (1981-82) and Kent State (1979-80).
one year patch until we can draft a corner

Cliff Harris
Alfonso Denard
Dre Kirpatrick (My fav!)
Chase Minnifield

All top twenty, IMO. Yup, we grabbin' a first round corner for sure so the one year deal for Carlos makes perfect sense. And, he gets to come back home!

So far so good Baalke!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
This has got to be one of the most polarizing signings recently. I'm hearing many opinions ranging from typical fans, to "experts" and the one consistent that resonates is; lots of talent and potential, but lack of confidence paired with brick hands.

Well, I'm switching from my view on this and am now cautiously optimistic considering Rogers' coach will now be a solid, proven DB coach. Reminder of Donatell's resume to refresh some memories:

Quote:
Donatell, 53, brings 32 years of coaching experience, including 20 years of service in the NFL, to the 49ers. He has worked with several of the most highly regarded defensive backs in NFL history, including Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater, LeRoy Butler, Darren Sharper, Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins.

Most recently, Donatell served as the secondary coach with the Denver Broncos from 2009-10. In two seasons with the Broncos, the team ranked seventh in the NFL in opponent completion percentage (58.8) and ninth in passing yards per game (223.7).

Prior to working as the defensive coordinator for the University of Washington in 2008 and a special assistant for the New York Jets in 2007, Donatell served as the defensive coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons from 2004-06.

Donatell spent four seasons as Green Bay’s defensive coordinator (2000-03), helping the Packers lead the NFL with 116 takeaways from 2001 to 2003. Green Bay advanced to the playoffs during each of those three seasons, including the 2001 and 2002 campaigns when they won the NFC North title.

In Donatell’s first stint with the Broncos (1995-99) he served as the team’s secondary coach and won back-to-back Super Bowls in 1998 an 1999. The Broncos ranked seventh in the league in both passing yards per game (199.6) and passing yards per attempt allowed (6.5), en route to earning three playoff berths under Donatell. The Broncos also ranked in the top 10 against the pass in four of Donatell’s five seasons as defensive backs coach.

Donatell made his NFL coaching debut as the secondary coach with the New York Jets from 1990-94, where he worked with Lott in the final two seasons of his career.

Prior to making the jump to the NFL, Donatell spent 11 seasons in the collegiate ranks. He served as the defensive backs coach at Cal State-Fullerton (1989), the University of Idaho (1986-88) and the University of Pacific (1983-85). He also was a graduate assistant at the University of Washington (1981-82) and Kent State (1979-80).

Good post.
ugh, we were so close! SO FKN CLOSE!!!

but noooooooooooooooooooo............

same s**t will happen this season with Luck.
Share 49ersWebzone