LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

2011-2012 49ers Off Season Signings (FA's and/or Trades)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Daivid Akers is a a good signing. Going to need a good kicker for all those 3 and outs under Alex watch.
  • Adman
  • Veteran
Just saw it on ESPN on the ticker under NFC West. It showed David Akers (sources).
Originally posted by Howlett:
Originally posted by feeblefreestyler:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Quote:
AdamSchefter
Former Eagles kicker David Akers reaches agreement with 49ers.

HOLY s**t!!! -Knew Nedney was gonna be done... isn't he like (con-currently) the best kicker in the entire f**king NFL right now?

Bubble! Akers>Nedney. I liked Nedney and he was a very consistant kicker for the Niners but Akers is top 5 kicker in league. Younger, Stronger leg, Just as accurate if not maybe more.

1. Akers is 36
2. He owned a 84% FG Percentage, while Nedney had an 80%. Not that drastic.
Scott

Nedney is 38 and 4% is a lot... kinda like the differance between a 58% completion to 62% completion rating for a QB.

Yeah that's a pretty big difference considering kickers dont kick as much as passers pass the ball
championship
One old guy out, another old guy in.

At least he had a solid year in 2010.
How boring lol!
sweet, thats good because Nedney was really costing us a lot of games
We need bigger signings then this.
Originally posted by feeblefreestyler:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Quote:
AdamSchefter
Former Eagles kicker David Akers reaches agreement with 49ers.

HOLY s**t!!! -Knew Nedney was gonna be done... isn't he like (con-currently) the best kicker in the entire f**king NFL right now?

Bubble! Akers>Nedney. I liked Nedney and he was a very consistant kicker for the Niners but Akers is top 5 kicker in league. Younger, Stronger leg, Just as accurate if not maybe more.

1. Akers is 36
2. He owned a 84% FG Percentage, while Nedney had an 80%. Not that drastic.
Scott

Nedney is 38 and 4% is a lot... kinda like the differance between a 58% completion to 62% completion rating for a QB.

1. Nedney actually had 84% last year, 80% the previous.
2. You can't compare kicking to passing.
3. You can't throw out a random passing number to illustrate the importance of disparity. If I said, "64% completion percentage to 68%," it suddenly becomes less problematic.
4. Akers is 1.5 years younger than Nedney (turns 37 in December). To justify the signing because of his age is fallacious. In any case, 36 or 38 are both OLD by NFL standards.
Scott

[ Edited by feeblefreestyler on Jul 28, 2011 at 18:30:23 ]
i like it just in case Alex smith struggles to lead us deep into the red zone

so this is why we cut Clements!!
Alright guys, I need you all to tell me the logic in this move. Is Akers younger? Is he more clutch? I seem to remember akers is not a deep kicker on kickoffs too.??????
can he cover?
Akers made the pro bowl last season. He will likely be a difference maker in many of our games. Remember Jose Cortez? This is a good move.
Share 49ersWebzone