There are 208 users in the forums

2011-2012 49ers Off Season Signings (FA's and/or Trades)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ohhhhhh that plan, well I will sit down now and watch.
Matt Barrows
New numbers prediction: Donte Whitner No. 20, Carlos Rogers No. 22. Braylon Edwards may have to open wallet for Dominique Zeigler's No. 17.

I wonder who all is going to practiced today? Everyone we signed?
ProFootballTalk ProFootballTalk
Safety Dashon Goldson will re-sign with the Niners. Per a league source, it's a one-year deal.
Originally posted by Whomeam:
ProFootballTalk ProFootballTalk
Safety Dashon Goldson will re-sign with the Niners. Per a league source, it's a one-year deal.

Niners FO Goldson
I can't figure out if all these one year contracts are a good idea or not. I'm happy with Edwards, Goldson and Rogers signing, but if they perform well and we take a step forward, we may have a hard time retaining them next year. Of course if they don't live up to expectation, we saved a lot of money, but all these players are pretty solid and would rather have seen 3 Yr contracts.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
It's smart. It is very smart for a team with a new GM and coach. It lets the staff build through the draft while being a competitive team. It lets the team be competitive while the rebuilding process takes place.
smart because you dont look like the redskins or raiders after a year or two with a bunch of overpaid losers. if someone sucks your off the hook in one year. if they like the team and theyre good they resign. its like a trial run. i think its very smart actually.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
For the team? Smart.

For the players? Not so smart. The players are doing 1-year deals because they think this will be the year they breakout and prove they're worth a huge deal. Its a great mindset, but usually not based in reality. Reality is, there will be a flood a FAs next offseason as well, due to all of these 1-year deals. If they don't have a breakout year, they're right back where they started.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
smart because you dont look like the redskins or raiders after a year or two with a bunch of overpaid losers. if someone sucks your off the hook in one year. if they like the team and theyre good they resign. its like a trial run. i think its very smart actually.

Plus we save on the cap space this year so if they perform good then we have the $$ to resighn them, if they dont, then we have the money to sighn someone who will.
i think many of these guys signed with places that they wouldnt mind staying long term with anyway. no one wants to move every year. braylon already said he wants to shut it down here if the niners do well this year.

We have two years before we are forced to do that 89% of the cap spending crap. I think Jed is saving that money not spent for the stadium.

1 yr deals are nice, until next year when we have like 7 guys to resign, but who knows we may do the same thing next year and just fill it in with more 1 yr contracts.
I think its very smart for the team. I expect that players that do well will get offered generous extensions before FA opens up next year. With all the cap room we will have we should be able to retain the players that we want.
Originally posted by blm7754:
I think its very smart for the team. I expect that players that do well will get offered generous extensions before FA opens up next year. With all the cap room we will have we should be able to retain the players that we want.

This
Edwards is coming back provided he plays his way to a longer contract.

Goldson is gone again after this year. He wants his big money deal if he ever gets offered one.

Rogers may let us have the right to match a contract if he enjoys the coaching staff and the situation continues to improve.

Players still had to choose where they were gonna sign their deals and its safe to assume that allot of them were told "if you play well we will pay well" once the CBA becomes a little more familier to front offices. Teams are gonna be forced to meet that minimum salary cap in a couple years and this is just a tryout for who cashes in on the extra spending.
It's smart. It is very smart for a team with a new GM and coach. It lets the staff build through the draft while being a competitive team. It lets the team be competitive while the rebuilding process takes place.

Right on the money!!!
Share 49ersWebzone