Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Training Camp 2011-2012

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by HomerJ:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Look, Smith isn't perfect. When he's under center, we are historically terrible at third downs. Its something he can improve on.

Agreed as to the bolded. This better be the year we improve in this area.

949er...you are typically one of the more unbiased posters around here. Curious why it was hard for you to bold the middle sentence of Y2R's post too.....you know....seeing as how thats an absolute fact as well.

I was under the impression that until last season, Smith was one of the top QBs in the redzone.. I think that has been posted quite often and far from an absolute. Am I wrong?

He has traditionally been great in the red zone, but the points made were about third down.

Oops, reading fail. My mistake.
Originally posted by HaRBaLLiN:
Originally posted by sf_JAC:
He was one of the better quarterbacks in the league, rating-wise, in the red zone for his career. Take that for what it's worth - some people criticize QB rating because it rewards safe play - and there was a time where Alex Smith was behind only Peyton Manning for consecutive red zone attempts without an interception. I believe that streak ended this year against the Cardinals (?).

I think it was Tom Brady but yea I remember that

It'll take too long to calculate passer rating and all that in the redzone so I'll just post this
Alex Smith in the red zone the last 3 years
2011: 13 TDs 2 INTs
2010: 13 TDs 0 INTs
2009: 16 TDs 0 INTs

No question hes one of the better red zone QBs in the league.

I didnt originally want to post this but
2006: 15 TDs 1 INT
2005: 1 TD 0 INTs

and of course he was injured in 2007 and 2008..
but in 2007 it was 2 TDs to 0 INTs

I know a big part of it is playing it safe but 60 TDs to 3 INTs in the redzone for your career is pretty impressive
I remember the game against us where Cutler had like 4 INTs in the redzone lol

Would be interesting the percentage we scored touchdowns to times in the redzone. I recall Nedney being called upon often because we couldn't get 6.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Would be interesting the percentage we scored touchdowns to times in the redzone. I recall Nedney being called upon often because we couldn't get 6.

in 2009 we were 6th with 58 % and 2010 we were 23 with 48 %

the league avergage for past couple years has been around 52 %
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Look, Smith isn't perfect. When he's under center, we are historically terrible at third downs. Its something he can improve on.

Agreed as to the bolded. This better be the year we improve in this area.

949er...you are typically one of the more unbiased posters around here. Curious why it was hard for you to bold the middle sentence of Y2R's post too.....you know....seeing as how thats an absolute fact as well.

I originally bolded all of it. Then realized that I was not comfortable with the broad generalization in sentence two and was too lazy to dig up the specific stats that we were all discussing some weeks back. I also do agree that the team has been bad at third downs with Smith, but don't think that is all him (for example, running for 2 on 3rd and 8). So, in sum, I didn't want to blindly agree with it like I did the other two points.

I remember Alex being decent at 3rd down and redzone conversions....maybe I am remembering incorrectly? Thought it was just recently an issue.

Before last year he was exceptionally good in the red zone, and probably average on third down.

He gets back to that..or rather our team gets back to that, it is going to be scary.
lol most posters want to disregard AS's seasons prior and blame crappy coaching for his play...but then bring up past stats to prove a point that he's good when he sucked in the RZ with a better coach
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
lol most posters want to disregard AS's seasons prior and blame crappy coaching for his play...but then bring up past stats to prove a point that he's good when he sucked in the RZ with a better coach

Do you even comprehend football? The whole team was bad at third downs and red zone, these are the last parts of an offense to be installed. The reason for these struggles don't fall on one person, but on the offense as a whole. What you are complaining about is not as ridiculous as your posting nothing but negative stuff about your own teams qb. Your posts would be more at home on a seahawks or cardinals site.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Do you even comprehend football? The whole team was bad at third downs and red zone, these are the last parts of an offense to be installed. The reason for these struggles don't fall on one person, but on the offense as a whole. What you are complaining about is not as ridiculous as your posting nothing but negative stuff about your own teams qb. Your posts would be more at home on a seahawks or cardinals site.

whoooa you got me , lol

you don't need stats and %'s to comprehend football...

whoooa you got me , lol

You said you would stop this behavior. Just can't help it, eh? Cry for attention?
Originally posted by oldman9er:

whoooa you got me , lol

You said you would stop this behavior. Just can't help it, eh? Cry for attention?
I did, i haven't wrote anything bad..

You know what I'm talking about. Obtuse is an ugly color.

Please stop this crap. It doesn't add anything to the discussion.

Yet since 2006, when another QB other than Alex has been under center, our 3rd down % has increased. Basically you are chalking this up to coincidence?
Originally posted by oldman9er:

You know what I'm talking about. Obtuse is an ugly color.

i said posters not AS

the back and forth from posters...is whats funny

Please stop this crap. It doesn't add anything to the discussion.

Can I ask why it is allowed?! It's everyday with him, and it's not like he's doing it to really state his case, he's doing it to troll. Again why is this allowed?