LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Keep Manny Lawson or part ways?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Keep Manny Lawson or part ways?

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by FriscoFitted:
Micheal Robinson interviews Manny Lawson. He talks about being a FA, 49ers picking Aldon Smith and More check it out.

(Interview starts at 7:10)

He made it very clear from the start that he wasn't with the San Francisco 49ers "you can't say with them" didn't he? Look at his body language - looks down when Robinson asks about Aldon; smiles. Interesting!!! "We're getting old...somebody leaving!" I'm pretty sure it's him. Ya think?

Thanks for the vid!

Dagger to the heart....

Anyway, I respect the postion and well see what happens.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Did also enjoy the vid... though I didn't find the Manny part very revealing. I think he is probably hurt that he didn't get a long-term deal. I think he wants to stay and be with these particular team mates. Liked what he said about Alex ( ).

We'll see what happens. Wish I was on the inside to know whether we ever offered Manny a contract and what size it was. We just don't know...

You didn't get the "feel" he is outta here? Either way, I agree, after his "hold out" protest last offseason, clearly he's bitter. The Aldon pick just confimed, IMHO, how the FO see's Lawson's value.

PS: I still don't even know if we even offered him a contract. We heard the rumors of the Calvin Pace deal but was that from his agent? A "source" representing Manny? I don't think I ever heard anything from our FO that "they" made a single offer to him...ever.

Oh well, what happens, happens. Let's just hope it's for the best for both parties in the end!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Did also enjoy the vid... though I didn't find the Manny part very revealing. I think he is probably hurt that he didn't get a long-term deal. I think he wants to stay and be with these particular team mates. Liked what he said about Alex ( ).

We'll see what happens. Wish I was on the inside to know whether we ever offered Manny a contract and what size it was. We just don't know...

You didn't get the "feel" he is outta here? Either way, I agree, after his "hold out" protest last offseason, clearly he's bitter. The Aldon pick just confimed, IMHO, how the FO see's Lawson's value.

PS: I still don't even know if we even offered him a contract. We heard the rumors of the Calvin Pace deal but was that from his agent? A "source" representing Manny? I don't think I ever heard anything from our FO that "they" made a single offer to him...ever.

Oh well, what happens, happens. Let's just hope it's for the best for both parties in the end!

i didnt get the feeling that manny was a goner either from that interview. if anything, he just felt awkward being a free agent...and of course he's not gonna be jumping up and down that the 9ers drafted aldon smith.
^ he seemed sad and a lil hurt to me. There's definitely a "feel" that he's on the way out... but well, how could there not be with no news and the reality that he's an URFA.

Either way, it won't be an issue to shed tears over.

One small thing, NC, if you are still there. Where did you get the impression that Gibson was a big LB? He could be now, but he came outta college the same size as Von Miller... like 6' 2" and 240 lbs. Have you read that he has bulked up or... ???
^ he seemed sad and a lil hurt to me. There's definitely a "feel" that he's on the way out... but well, how could there not be with no news and the reality that he's an URFA.

Either way, it won't be an issue to shed tears over.

One small thing, NC, if you are still there. Where did you get the impression that Gibson was a big LB? He could be now, but he came outta college the same size as Von Miller... like 6' 2" and 240 lbs. Have you read that he has bulked up or... ???

Gotcha! You know, honestly, I believe I either heard it from a commentator during one of his highlight reels on YouTube or from an article I read about him; I'm sorry I don't have a "source" off-hand. But he came into the league around 245. To verify, check out his highlight reels too; good size. I thought he was a DT at first!

Here's a nice article confirmation on the numbers game and how we got him.

Thaddeus Gibson
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Aldon Smith means no Manny Lawson.
Originally posted by susweel:

Basically.

The only thing that makes Lawson's return even a remote possibility is the lockout and the wildly shortened window for FA signing. On the other hand, getting over the cap floor means that someone might reasonably throw a hefty chunk of short-term or front-loaded money.

I don't understand why this has to be the case.

Unless the money winds up being too high, I don't see why we shouldn't resign Manny. He may not be the sack artist we were hoping for, but he's still our best OLB. I still think he could be utilized differently under Fangio, especially when combining his speed with Willis from the LB position.

Again, unless the money gets obscene, Manny should be a starting OLB on this squad opposite Aldon Smith (assuming Smith earns a starting spot sometime). They shouldn't be mutually exclusive.
Originally posted by dj43:
The 49er defense lacks speed overall. Losing Lawson's speed will hurt.

Exactly! Lawson will be speed hard when he will get injured it.. So, He won't speed hard again because he don't want injured again.. I already realize it..
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:

Unless the money winds up being too high, I don't see why we shouldn't resign Manny. He may not be the sack artist we were hoping for, but he's still our best OLB. I still think he could be utilized differently under Fangio, especially when combining his speed with Willis from the LB position.

Again, unless the money gets obscene, Manny should be a starting OLB on this squad opposite Aldon Smith (assuming Smith earns a starting spot sometime). They shouldn't be mutually exclusive.

Good Questions! I blame Deion Sanders because he got an idea for asking the high price when Cowboys owner Jerry is accept and sign him.. Dude! Jerry is F**k a Fool and very dumb!! and Spread the rumors because Deion Sanders got a rich that players copy him about that the money winds up being too high of each years..

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Manny may have a few issues with management of the past for not offering him a long-term contract.... but by all accounts, he really seems to love his teammates and SF.

So... maybe just maybe he will accept a hometown discount to stay. He has been living off the remains of his rookie contract. Probably under a mil a year, if I recall correctly. Maybe he will be fine with taking a discount... 4 years, 5 mil per.... give him a friendly upfront signing bonus.

Probably wishful thinking...

I really wish one of the Matts would contact Lawson just to see where his head is at. I know the team stance, but I'm curious if/how bitter Lawson is about being taken out of the line up on 3rd downs. I'm also curious how the new coaching staff (Fangio) view his skill set.

Tell me Maiocco and Brows don't read this blog....

http://www.csnbayarea.com/07/23/11/49ers-notebook-Lawson-discusses-his-futu/landing.html?full_args=07/23/11/49ers-notebook-Lawson-discusses-his-futu/landing&blockID=543137&feedID=5936
  • ttime
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:

Exactly! In fact, his praise for Alex seems to suggest that he was still aboard. I did not get the sense of animosity, anger or sadness. Maybe I missed something but it just seemed to me that he was simply stating the facts, and suggested that one of the three existing OLB will be gone.
Herzlich's coming here anyway, Justin Smith JR. if he is healthy

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/07/herzlich-says-4.html
What I keep hearing is Manny on one side and Aldon on the other.

Odd man out should be Parys. I personally like Ahmad Brooks better than Parys
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Herzlich's coming here anyway, Justin Smith JR. if he is healthy

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/07/herzlich-says-4.html

I would love to have this dude. He is a great example and if the cancer doesn't come back he could go beast mode. THe ultimate diamond in the rough.
Share 49ersWebzone