LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 234 users in the forums

Keep Manny Lawson or part ways?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Keep Manny Lawson or part ways?

i really hope we can get a deal done with him.
If he takes a pay cut....im in.
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:
Lawson is a beast in coverage for a converted DE and is an incredible athlete who has made big plays for us. Not necessarily sacks but we brought in Aldon Smith to fix that and we still have Ahmad Brooks who's shown flashes and was once consider a top flight prospect! Haralson is the odd man out IMO.
Originally posted by NINERFORLIFE12:
If he takes a pay cut....im in.

From what he makes now?
  • ttime
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
He's a free agent, so even if the team wanted to keep him, he could still depart. I expect this to be the end of the road.

He's going to be a terrific 4-3 OLB for some team, especially if they run a Tampa-2 defense.

Yup. The guy can't get to the QB for s**t. Laboy came in and showed him how its done, and he's not elite either.

We need a serious 3-4 OLB.

No..No..No..No. When LaBoy came in on third down he played next to a DE who was a pass rusher and thus the OL had to account for both. When Manny rushes he is playing next to a DE who is not a pass rusher and thus the OL only has to account for Manny. Despite this, he is one of the top rushers in the league in getting QB pressure. He led the team in sacks last year despite not being on the field during obvious pass plays and playing next to a DE who gets no pressure. This team would be foolish to let Manny simply walk. He deserves his payday as he rebounded well from a serious injury and is a legitimate play maker on defense and special teams. He is the top priority to sign.
He's a free agent, so even if the team wanted to keep him, he could still depart. I expect this to be the end of the road.

He's going to be a terrific 4-3 OLB for some team, especially if they run a Tampa-2 defense.

Yup. The guy can't get to the QB for s**t. Laboy came in and showed him how its done, and he's not elite either.

So you think a serious OLB is only a pass rusher?

How...interesting.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:
Lawson is a beast in coverage for a converted DE and is an incredible athlete who has made big plays for us. Not necessarily sacks but we brought in Aldon Smith to fix that and we still have Ahmad Brooks who's shown flashes and was once consider a top flight prospect! Haralson is the odd man out IMO.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

So you think a serious OLB is only a pass rusher?

How...interesting.

Where did i say only a pass rusher? But both OLBs in a 3-4 have to be able to rush the passer effecively. Unless you consider .22 sacks per game effective. Our ILB Willis is the best pass rush LB on our team.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jul 21, 2011 at 9:43 PM ]
Originally posted by ttime:

No..No..No..No. When LaBoy came in on third down he played next to a DE who was a pass rusher and thus the OL had to account for both. When Manny rushes he is playing next to a DE who is not a pass rusher and thus the OL only has to account for Manny. Despite this, he is one of the top rushers in the league in getting QB pressure. He led the team in sacks last year despite not being on the field during obvious pass plays and playing next to a DE who gets no pressure. [/b] This team would be foolish to let Manny simply walk. He deserves his payday as he rebounded well from a serious injury and is a legitimate play maker on defense and special teams. He is the top priority to sign.

Don't you think there is a reason for Manny not being in on obvious passing downs? Maybe because he obviously can't rush the passer.

I don't know where you get your stats from but Justin Smith, Travis Laboy, Patrick Willis, Amhad Brooks, Parys Haralson, all had way more more sacks then Lawson, who registered 2.5...

And he is the best in the league? Oh my....its not that kind of board bro.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jul 21, 2011 at 9:52 PM ]
  • dj43
The 49er defense lacks speed overall. Losing Lawson's speed will hurt.

Originally posted by dj43:
The 49er defense lacks speed overall. Losing Lawson's speed will hurt.
aldon smith was drafted to be his replacement...they never wanted manny's coverage abilities. they wanted him to get to the qb. hopefully they found it in smith.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
aldon smith was drafted to be his replacement...they never wanted manny's coverage abilities. they wanted him to get to the qb. hopefully they found it in smith.

Without Manny's coverage abilities our defense will be slower. And we aren't exactly fast. So we keep both.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Pretty much what MM said a week ago.
Cut Parys!
Share 49ersWebzone