LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

How did Singletary....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by andes14:
get the reputation as a guy that does nothing but run the ball? Gore averaged fewer carries per game with Singletary as HC in 09/10 than he did in 06/07/08 with Turner/Hostler/Martz running the offense...I never understood how there are all these articles talking about how all Sing did was run, run, run despite 8 and 9 men in the box. The stats just don't back that up.

He said so himself.

And Mike Martz said JT O'Sullivan was the best QB he ever coached...that doesn't make it true.
This isn't rocket science:

- Frank Gore being injured more games than previous years

- Fewer plays due to fewer extended drives = fewer running plays

- Higher in-game deficits (as a direct result of running at predictable times and not abandoning the run until it becomes necessary), lead to the absolute necessity to pass, not a decision to pass. Passing when it is a necessity does not count.

- Fewer in game leads that would allow our team to revert to the run game to run out the clock

- Being the only coach in the modern day NFL to publicly say that the "qb is not the most important position on the field"

- Repeatedly running the ball with 8-9 players in the box, just to be "Fysical"

Running the ball less may have been an indirect effect of Singletary's strategy, but his actual strategy was to run the ball as much as possible (anytime it wasn't absolutely necessary to pass). The 2010 49ers, thanks to Singletary's poor or lack of in-game strategy, were simply placed in more desperate situations that required the passing game. That is why Singletary is known as "That guy that always ran the ball"
[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Jul 21, 2011 at 4:55 PM ]
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
This isn't rocket science:

- Frank Gore being injured more games than previous years

- Fewer plays due to fewer extended drives = fewer running plays

- Higher in-game deficits (as a direct result of running at predictable times and not abandoning the run until it becomes necessary), lead to the absolute necessity to pass, not a decision to pass. Passing when it is a necessity does not count.

- Fewer in game leads that would allow our team to revert to the run game to run out the clock

- Being the only coach in the modern day NFL to publicly say that the "qb is not the most important position on the field"

- Repeatedly running the ball with 8-9 players in the box, just to be "Fysical"

Running the ball less may have been an indirect effect of Singletary's strategy, but his actual strategy was to run the ball as much as possible (anytime it wasn't absolutely necessary to pass). The 2010 49ers, thanks to Singletary's poor or lack of in-game strategy, were simply placed in more desperate situations that required the passing game. That is why Singletary is known as "That guy that always ran the ball"

Fewer plays? We had more offensive snaps per season over the last 2 years than the previous 3. Look it up. Besides, even if we didn't, I just posted the PERCENTAGES, which takes into account total plays.

Higher in game deficits and fewer in game leads? What are you talking about? Do you not think we had to play catch up at all in '06, '07, or '08? We were EVEN WORSE those years. We had higher in game deficits and fewer in game leads those 3 years than the previous 2 years and it's not even close. From '06-'08, our average game was a 6.27 point LOSS. In '09/'10, our average game was a .25 point WIN. The difference between the 2 was over SIX AND A HALF points. We played catch up EVEN MORE back then, yet were still running more and passing less.

Again, look at 2009. We were a solid squad. We won 8 games and our average game was a 3 point win. Yet only 2 teams in the league had fewer rushing attempts.
[ Edited by andes14 on Jul 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM ]
I don't believe that when they refer to Singletary as a run guy they are comparing him to Nolan. If you recall he fired Martz in favor of an OC who was gonna run an old school
beat em up kind of offense and so he hired Jimmy Raye after nobody else wanted the job. I would probably attribute that to Singletary wanting to controll the OC's gameplan instead of giving them the freedom to make the calls and so when I read these articles I believe they are talking about how bland and predictable the offense was with Singletary as coach and not the ratio of run/pass. We rarely ran sweeps or tosses, we hardly ever pulled the guard. There was no creativity with the running game. There was no doubt what the first 2 plays were on our opening drive in every game.
Originally posted by Boomer49:
I don't believe that when they refer to Singletary as a run guy they are comparing him to Nolan. If you recall he fired Martz in favor of an OC who was gonna run an old school
beat em up kind of offense and so he hired Jimmy Raye after nobody else wanted the job. I would probably attribute that to Singletary wanting to controll the OC's gameplan instead of giving them the freedom to make the calls and so when I read these articles I believe they are talking about how bland and predictable the offense was with Singletary as coach and not the ratio of run/pass. We rarely ran sweeps or tosses, we hardly ever pulled the guard. There was no creativity with the running game. There was no doubt what the first 2 plays were on our opening drive in every game.

YES! Finally. Thank you for this post. Could not agree with the bolded more. Yes, we were oftentimes PREDICTABLE. And yes, oftentimes there was little CREATIVITY. But those two things have NOTHING to do with the actual RATIO of run/pass, which is all my point is. People assume the 2 are related but they are not...AT ALL. You wanna criticize him? Fine. Then criticize HOW we ran the ball (I'm right there with you), not HOW MUCH we ran the ball. HUGE difference.
[ Edited by andes14 on Jul 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM ]
  • dj43

YES! Finally. Thank you for this post. Could not agree with the bolded more. Yes, we were oftentimes PREDICTABLE. And yes, oftentimes there was little CREATIVITY. But those two things have NOTHING to do with the actual RATIO of run/pass, which is all my point is. People assume the 2 are related but they are not...AT ALL. You wanna criticize him? Fine. Then criticize HOW we ran the ball (I'm right there with you), not HOW MUCH we ran the ball. HUGE difference.

The 49ers were easy to defense. Just follow Mike Iupati and he would take you to the ball carrier. That was so predictable that even Sing finely had to admit it was time for a change.

I don't think there is any doubt if those plays were more successful we would have ran the ball more but that wasn't the case and we got in situations where we had to pass whether it be because we were behind and had to play catch up or it was late in the game and needed a quick score or just for the simple fact that we couldn't run the ball.
Let's take a look at the start of a few games last season (source nfl.com):

- NO: run, run, pass, run, run, run
- KC: run, run, pass, run, pass, pass
- ATL: run, pass, pass, run, run, pass
- PHI: run, run, run, run, pass, pass
- OAK: pass, pass, run, run, pass, run

That's a ratio of 18 out of 30 plays being runs.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Let's take a look at the start of a few games last season (source nfl.com):

- NO: run, run, pass, run, run, run
- KC: run, run, pass, run, pass, pass
- ATL: run, pass, pass, run, run, pass
- PHI: run, run, run, run, pass, pass
- OAK: pass, pass, run, run, pass, run

That's a ratio of 18 out of 30 plays being runs.

That's obviously cherry-picking the games that we ran the most at the beginning. Why don't you post the first few plays from the Tennessee game in '09 or something like that?

Also, in '09/'10, Sing coached 31 games for us. I looked at the first 2 plays of each game. Of the 62 plays, 29 were runs. Not that ridiculous.
get the reputation as a guy that does nothing but run the ball? Gore averaged fewer carries per game with Singletary as HC in 09/10 than he did in 06/07/08 with Turner/Hostler/Martz running the offense...I never understood how there are all these articles talking about how all Sing did was run, run, run despite 8 and 9 men in the box. The stats just don't back that up.

He said so himself.

And Mike Martz said JT O'Sullivan was the best QB he ever coached...that doesn't make it true.

Yeah, but you asked how he got the reputation. He got the reputation because he said so many times he wants to run the ball and a QB is not an important piece to an offense. Its funny because those who beleive that QB isn't the most important player on the field also think Sing was so awful.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jul 21, 2011 at 10:05 PM ]

Originally posted by BrianGO:

You make good points, but this is how I remember how most of our games went in the first half.

Run run pass punt, run run pass punt, run run pass punt, run run pass punt, (2 minute drill) pass pass pass pass pass pass touchdown. Half-time.
That adds up to 10 passes and 8 runs. In this scenario, there are more passes, but it is deceiving because of the two-minute drill at the end of the half where we felt like actually scoring a touchdown.

A good example as to why stats can be misleading.

Originally posted by Otter:
You wrote in one of your posts that the stats show that 1st half carries and second half carries were about the same.

What about quarter by quarter? Or better, the first 28 minutes of each quarter. The two minute drill at the end of the 1st half may have skewed the passing numbers.

2 minute drill skews passing #'s for every team though

It doesn't matter if the 2 minute drill skews numbers for 1 team or 32 teams. The point is that the stats are skewed...which makes it unreliable to base this argument purely on numbers.

Stats are definitely useful, but in this case I think watching the games provides better support than numbers.

He said so himself.

Yeah, but you asked how he got the reputation. He got the reputation because he said so many times he wants to run the ball and a QB is not an important piece to an offense. Its funny because those who beleive that QB isn't the most important player on the field also think Sing was so awful.

Fair enough...I just wish people would at least be open to acknowledging reality after the facts are pointed out.
Originally posted by candlestick49er:

You make good points, but this is how I remember how most of our games went in the first half.

Run run pass punt, run run pass punt, run run pass punt, run run pass punt, (2 minute drill) pass pass pass pass pass pass touchdown. Half-time.
That adds up to 10 passes and 8 runs. In this scenario, there are more passes, but it is deceiving because of the two-minute drill at the end of the half where we felt like actually scoring a touchdown.

You wrote in one of your posts that the stats show that 1st half carries and second half carries were about the same.

What about quarter by quarter? Or better, the first 28 minutes of each quarter. The two minute drill at the end of the 1st half may have skewed the passing numbers.

It doesn't matter if the 2 minute drill skews numbers for 1 team or 32 teams. The point is that the stats are skewed...which makes it unreliable to base this argument purely on numbers.

Stats are definitely useful, but in this case I think watching the games provides better support than numbers.

It does matter if it skews it for all 32 teams in terms of where the niners rank in pass attempts/rush attempts relative to the rest of the league. The bottom line is we have ranked higher in pass attempts relative to the rest of the league than we did rushing attempts. Look at '09...solid squad- 8 wins, the average game being a 3 point victory, and only 2 teams ran the ball less often. Throwing a few more passes in a 2 minute situation (as all teams do) does nothing to not be able to infer what that represents in terms of run/pass ratio.

It does matter if it skews it for all 32 teams in terms of where the niners rank in pass attempts/rush attempts relative to the rest of the league. The bottom line is we have ranked higher in pass attempts relative to the rest of the league than we did rushing attempts. Look at '09...solid squad- 8 wins, the average game being a 3 point victory, and only 2 teams ran the ball less often. Throwing a few more passes in a 2 minute situation (as all teams do) does nothing to not be able to infer what that represents in terms of run/pass ratio.

We had a LOT of WR screens and HB screens. We would start off most of the games with run run pass punt. This is because Singletary believed in the run. The formations we had practiced throughout training camp were geared for the run.

The issue you speak of regarding the actual run/pass ratio, occurred because his nimrod strategy didn't WORK. We had some games where Raye threw the ball like crazy, but even when that passing strategy WORKED, Sing backed away from it the very next week for unknown reasons. It drove me crazy.

All teams run the 2-minute drill, but we had several half's, and some entire games under Sing where most of the game was like a 2-minute drill. Again, I have no idea why Sing abandoned this successful strategy. The point is, there were large chunks of games when Sing was reluctantly very aggressive with the pass; which skews the numbers.

Also, and this is the most important point, when you have an unsuccessful drive, and go "run run pass punt" you have a 3n'out.
Let's compare it with a hypothetical successful drive, "pass run pass pass run pass pass". The second drive has 5 passes and 2 runs the first drive has only 2 runs and 1 pass. Combined together, they give us 6 passes and 4 runs. But what does the second drive also have? More PLAYS.

So if you have this situation...
Drive one: run run pass punt
Drive two: run run pass punt
Drive three: pass run pass pass run pass pass Touchdown!
Drive four: run run pass punt
Drive five: run run pass punt
2-minute: pass pass pass pass pass pass Touchdown!

Total runs: 10
Total passes: 15

4 out of the 5 non two-minute-drill drives were Iron Mike trying to impose his iron will to run the ball down their throats.
But because our running drives were LESS successful, and our passing drives were MORE successful, the passing drives had more PLAYS.

Singletary wanted to run the ball down their throats, and his utter lack of success made him look like he enjoyed throwing the football as much as running it.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jul 22, 2011 at 1:59 AM ]

But we aren't comparing where the 49ers rank relative to the rest of the league. You're argument is based on Singletary's ratio of runs vs passes, and the stats you used to prove that are skewed.
Share 49ersWebzone