LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

How did Singletary....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
couple reasons why gore didnt get the carries...
1)injury
2)cant get a lot of carries if you cant extend drives
3)cant extend drives if you have a bone head scheme
that includes running your rb into 9 man fronts down after down

Injury has nothing to do with it. I'm talking about carries per game...so if he misses games, that doesn't skew it.

As for extending drives, that's a moot point also- we passed 514 times per season in 09/10. From '06-'08 we passed 488.7 times per season...therefore we actually passed the ball at a higher rate than under Turner/Hostler/Martz.

Is this really that difficult to figure out?

It wasn't how often he ran the ball, it's when and how he ran the ball. The when was when the other team expected it. The how, was the same f*cking way.

Singletary - what a dips**t.
also hard to run when you are behind in quite a few games.
get the reputation as a guy that does nothing but run the ball? Gore averaged fewer carries per game with Singletary as HC in 09/10 than he did in 06/07/08 with Turner/Hostler/Martz running the offense...I never understood how there are all these articles talking about how all Sing did was run, run, run despite 8 and 9 men in the box. The stats just don't back that up.
because we went three and out more often, and lost the top battle more often. less plays = less carries.
Originally posted by LloydsKittyKat:
get the reputation as a guy that does nothing but run the ball? Gore averaged fewer carries per game with Singletary as HC in 09/10 than he did in 06/07/08 with Turner/Hostler/Martz running the offense...I never understood how there are all these articles talking about how all Sing did was run, run, run despite 8 and 9 men in the box. The stats just don't back that up.
because we went three and out more often, and lost the top battle more often. less plays = less carries.

AGAIN, the RATE of running was lower, whether we ran 1 play all year or a billion. We didn't just run less, we also passed more. We ran a lower PERCENTAGE and passed a higher PERCENTAGE under Sing.
Originally posted by elguapo:
also hard to run when you are behind in quite a few games.

Again, he had essentially as many carries in the 2nd half as the first...and we were behind in even more games from '06-'08 than in '09/'10 (6.3 wins per year in '06-'08 and 7 wins per year in '09/'10) so I don't see the logic in that argument.

AGAIN, the RATE of running was lower, whether we ran 1 play all year or a billion. We didn't just run less, we also passed more. We ran a lower PERCENTAGE and passed a higher PERCENTAGE under Sing.

stop looking at the numbers and *ahem* watch the film. you'll see why.

stop looking at the numbers and *ahem* watch the film. you'll see why.

The numbers are not lying. The film will show Gore carrying the ball the same amount of times as the stats say he did.
Last year was the first year that Gore "sharing" time with other players too. But it make sense to me. We would run on first and second down, then have to throw on 3rd and long. Then 2/3s of the way into the season we were throwing out of run packages because those are the only ways to line up we practiced.

The whole thing was a train wreak.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Last year was the first year that Gore "sharing" time with other players too. But it make sense to me. We would run on first and second down, then have to throw on 3rd and long. Then 2/3s of the way into the season we were throwing out of run packages because those are the only ways to line up we practiced.

The whole thing was a train wreak.

Sharing time? Remember how everyone was complaining that Westbrook was virtually never seeing the field. And it's actually the opposite of the bolded. Gore played in 10 games (not gonna count the Cards game where he got injured at the beginning). He averaged 18.2 carries in the first 5 games and 21.4 carries per game in the 2nd 5 games.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
couple reasons why gore didnt get the carries...
1)injury
2)cant get a lot of carries if you cant extend drives
3)cant extend drives if you have a bone head scheme
that includes running your rb into 9 man fronts down after down

Injury has nothing to do with it. I'm talking about carries per game...so if he misses games, that doesn't skew it.

As for extending drives, that's a moot point also- we passed 514 times per season in 09/10. From '06-'08 we passed 488.7 times per season...therefore we actually passed the ball at a higher rate than under Turner/Hostler/Martz.

Is this really that difficult to figure out?

It wasn't how often he ran the ball, it's when and how he ran the ball. The when was when the other team expected it. The how, was the same f*cking way.

Singletary - what a dips**t.

^^ No one could possibly put it better than that.

he would run alot in beginging of games.. and pass pass pass to catch up. it was a sad sad offense. very seldom did it work.. and if it wasnt for our defense being a lil above average then we would of lost alot more games. like the bears game.. we got 5 int and they still almost won. several games like that.
Originally posted by tankle104:
he would run alot in beginging of games.. and pass pass pass to catch up. it was a sad sad offense. very seldom did it work.. and if it wasnt for our defense being a lil above average then we would of lost alot more games. like the bears game.. we got 5 int and they still almost won. several games like that.

Are all my posts invisible? I've said so many times already...the running all the time at the beginning argument doesn't hold any weight considering he had only 7 more first half carries over the last 2 years than 2nd half carries...and considering he had 5 first half carries in that Arizona game where he didn't play the 2nd half...it's essentially just a difference of 2. That neutralizes the whole "beginning of games" argument. As for catching up, yes we had to play catch up the last 2 years, but we also had to play catch up the previous 3 years so how is that relevant? In fact, we had to play catch up even more often from '06-'08 since we won an average of 6.3 games those 3 years as opposed to winning an average of 7 games in '09/'10. So we were actually better the last 2 years, yet still threw more and ran less.
[ Edited by andes14 on Jul 20, 2011 at 11:28 PM ]

Did you not watch the games the last 2 years?
Originally posted by lonneybyrd:

Did you not watch the games the last 2 years?

Every snap...should I have gotten the impression from watching the games that Gore carried the ball more than the stats say he did? Which game exactly did Gore carry more times than what was recorded and I'll re-watch that game so I can tell espn.com they have their facts wrong.
stat boy, put down your ti-83 and go talk to a woman who doesn't require you to give a credit card number first
Share 49ersWebzone