There are 209 users in the forums

Biggest Suprise Post Lockout: Team FAs

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Biggest Suprise Post Lockout: Team FAs

Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
It's possible that Manny tests the FA waers, and the money that he expected is not out there. Under that scenario, maybe he comes back. If Snyder really wants Franklin, he will shovel money at him, and Abrayu will get fat and happy.

Nate refusing to restructure could be another possibility; that dude seems pretty proud, and accepting a pay cut is a serious shot to the ego.

I can see any of those scenerios playing out.

I think that if Snyder is out of the Franklin sweep stakes there is a good chance we resign him. It's likely Houston will go after a big name CB, in which case they wont go after Franklin. Outside of that, I think we can complete with any other 3-4 team. I just dont know that I want him. Age and talent isn't the problem, it's the dedication. I worried about anyone that is strictley after the money.

Yeah, I think he is a case of "happy fat guy" waiting to happen. Last year, everyone said he was training hard on his own while he sat out practices w/ his Franchise Tag, but he sucked for the first few weeks. It seems that most of the dirtbag big money FA flops are big guys (DL or OL). Some guys don't make it because their skill set doesn't translate to a new scheme, but it seems like a lot of big guys get paid and quit trying.

As far as Snyder goes, I think they need an NT, and they know it. Mebane is a maybe, as he's been in a 4-3 his whole career, so Abrayu is the best option for Washington (I am of the mind that they need to dump Haynesworth for whatever they can get).

Any guy who has to put in work as a backup for 6 years before they get a chance to start has a good work ethic.

I dont think that' neccessarily true, Pete. Some guys are motivated because financially they need to be. Once they get paid, the motivation is gone. That's not just true of sports, that's true of almost any business.

If I was the staff I'd be willing to offer him money, but only after I investigated his work ethic the last couple of years. If possible, i would secrectly meet with guys like Willis and J.Smith.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 19, 2011 at 3:14 PM ]
It's possible that Manny tests the FA waers, and the money that he expected is not out there. Under that scenario, maybe he comes back. If Snyder really wants Franklin, he will shovel money at him, and Abrayu will get fat and happy.

Nate refusing to restructure could be another possibility; that dude seems pretty proud, and accepting a pay cut is a serious shot to the ego.

I think that if Snyder is out of the Franklin sweep stakes there is a good chance we resign him. It's likely Houston will go after a big name CB, in which case they wont go after Franklin. Outside of that, I think we can complete with any other 3-4 team. I just dont know that I want him. Age and talent isn't the problem, it's the dedication. I worried about anyone that is strictley after the money.

Yeah, I think he is a case of "happy fat guy" waiting to happen. Last year, everyone said he was training hard on his own while he sat out practices w/ his Franchise Tag, but he sucked for the first few weeks. It seems that most of the dirtbag big money FA flops are big guys (DL or OL). Some guys don't make it because their skill set doesn't translate to a new scheme, but it seems like a lot of big guys get paid and quit trying.

As far as Snyder goes, I think they need an NT, and they know it. Mebane is a maybe, as he's been in a 4-3 his whole career, so Abrayu is the best option for Washington (I am of the mind that they need to dump Haynesworth for whatever they can get).

Any guy who has to put in work as a backup for 6 years before they get a chance to start has a good work ethic.

I dont think that' neccessarily true, Pete. Some guys are motivated because financially they need to be. Once they get paid, the motivation is gone. That's not just true of sports, that's true of almost any business.

Yeah but to stay in the league for 6 years as a journeyman and then finally get your shot as a starter and never look back requires a good work ethic. Its not like he was ever guaranteed any money anywhere before Nolan traded for him. Nolan was notorious for wanting to bring in lunch pale guys with extrodinary work ethic. I don't think Franklin has shown anything besides a little rust post-holdout.

Yeah but to stay in the league for 6 years as a journeyman and then finally get your shot as a starter and never look back requires a good work ethic. Its not like he was ever guaranteed any money anywhere before Nolan traded for him. Nolan was notorious for wanting to bring in lunch pale guys with extrodinary work ethic. I don't think Franklin has shown anything besides a little rust post-holdout.

Then I hope we sign him and I hope you're right....
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 19, 2011 at 3:26 PM ]
Carson Palmer gets Traded to Sea!

I hope we sign him too. We have the cap room and we need him. I really don't understand why theres a hesitation to pay him. Maybe they really believe in Soap and RayMac as starters.

I hope we sign him too. We have the cap room and we need him. I really don't understand why theres a hesitation to pay him. Maybe they really believe in Soap and RayMac as starters.

1 gap NT`s like Franklin are a dime a dozen. Its a 2 gap NT thats hard to replace. He is getting his walking papers and we wont skip a beat with our current roster.
Originally posted by PiratePete:

1 gap NT`s like Franklin are a dime a dozen. Its a 2 gap NT thats hard to replace. He is getting his walking papers and we wont skip a beat with our current roster.

If they were a dime a dozen every 3-4 team would be running a 1 gap scheme. Our defense looks alot worse when Franklin is not in the game so I don't know why you think we will be just as good with our current roster minus Franklin. Our defense was also best at stopping the run, something that a 2gap scheme is supposed to be better suited to do, with Franklin as one of our best players.

Name 3 players on our defense that are better than Franklin. You can't. You don't lose one of your best players and then "don't miss a beat" with the remainder of your current roster. That doesn't even make sense.
[ Edited by RichmondPete on Jul 19, 2011 at 3:50 PM ]

If they were a dime a dozen every 3-4 team would be running a 1 gap scheme. Our defense looks alot worse when Franklin is not in the game so I don't know why you think we will be just as good with our current roster minus Franklin. That makes no sense.

Because we have a coaching staff that wont be sleeping in the press box( Raye ) and openly admitting that they have never heard of Brian westbrook. Saying he would need to watch tape to see how good he was and if how we could use him. Or a HC who not only hires such a scrub, but actually puts the idiot in charge of the offense. All while instilling his family crap and only working 8-10 hrs a day when every other HC is putting in 100 hr work weeks.

Soap was asked to play a 2 gap scheme when he was our NT. Assuming we stick with a one gap scheme Soap is much quicker, stronger and more explosive then Franklin.

If they were a dime a dozen every 3-4 team would be running a 1 gap scheme. Our defense looks alot worse when Franklin is not in the game so I don't know why you think we will be just as good with our current roster minus Franklin. That makes no sense.

Because we have a coaching staff that wont be sleeping in the press box( Raye ) and openly admitting that they have never heard of Brian westbrook. Saying he would need to watch tape to see how good he was and if how we could use him. Or a HC who not only hires such a scrub, but actually puts the idiot in charge of the offense. All while instilling his family crap and only working 8-10 hrs a day when every other HC is putting in 100 hr work weeks.

Soap was asked to play a 2 gap scheme when he was our NT. Assuming we stick with a one gap scheme Soap is much quicker, stronger and more explosive then Franklin.

What does Jimmy Raye have to do with the defense? If Soap is so much more suited to play nose in a 1 gap then why didn't he play nose last year? We could have started Smith-Soap-RayMac last year if that was the case but we didn't. We franchised Franklin instead and payed him top dollar instead. Why would the team do that if he can be replaced so easily by a guy we already have under contract? And don't blame it on Sing because he didn't decide who got the franchise tag.
[ Edited by RichmondPete on Jul 19, 2011 at 4:01 PM ]

What does Jimmy Raye have to do with the defense? When Soap played nose in a 2 gap scheme WE SUCKED.

It shows how stupid our HC was last year. You know the guy who runs the team.

As I said before, assuming we stay with a 1 gap scheme Soap is much quicker, stronger and more explosive then Franklin. As evident by his 330lb ass playing DE which requires a bit of agility.
[ Edited by PiratePete on Jul 19, 2011 at 4:02 PM ]

What does Jimmy Raye have to do with the defense? When Soap played nose in a 2 gap scheme WE SUCKED.

As I said before, assuming we stay with a 1 gap scheme Soap is much quicker, stronger and more explosive then Franklin.

If Soap is so much more suited to play nose in a 1 gap then why didn't he play nose last year? We could have started Smith-Soap-RayMac last year if that was the case but we didn't. We franchised Franklin and payed him top dollar to start instead. Why would the team do that if he can be replaced so easily by a guy we already have under contract? And don't blame it on Sing because he didn't decide who got the franchise tag.
[ Edited by RichmondPete on Jul 19, 2011 at 4:02 PM ]
BATTLE OF THE PETERs

Sounds like gay porn.....
I would be shocked if Lawson resigned with us. I wish he would have the view of wanting to be part of this defense that has Willis and (J)Smith leading. I just dont think he has the big picture of winning with us in mind. He is just as important in us being dominant.

I think he is set on going because of Aldon getting drafted, but i would hope that Manny isnt thinking like that, but more along the lines of a fiery coordinator in Fangio who is bringing a new, and exciting scheme. And maybe Fangio can see that a Lawson opposite Smith would establish a force on either side on any given play--other than....

We dont know what this new coaching staff thinks of Manny; but J. York better not be calling this shot regarding our pass rush. It has to be JH and VF making this call and who knows, #99 may be top priority come Friday. Especially with his versatility.

The grass isnt always greener on the other side, but does he accept a deal if low ball him? No, I personally think he will get an offer from the Saints, if we dont lock him up.

Iwill be watching for a couple moves this weekend but listen my Niner brothers, its a bad sign if for us if Manny Lawson is not retained

If Soap is so much more suited to play nose in a 1 gap then why didn't he play nose last year?

- Manusky was happy to have Sopoaga play LDE... he was our best option at that spot.

- Franklin had flashes of excellence in 2009 and we didn't yet know where his ceiling was.

- We don't know for sure if Sopoaga will thrive in a 1-gap NT role... but looking at his skill-set, it stands to reason that he can do it well.

As I said before, assuming we stay with a 1 gap scheme Soap is much quicker, stronger and more explosive then Franklin.

If Soap is so much more suited to play nose in a 1 gap then why didn't he play nose last year? We could have started Smith-Soap-RayMac last year if that was the case but we didn't. We franchised Franklin and payed him top dollar to start instead. Why would the team do that if he can be replaced so easily by a guy we already have under contract? And don't blame it on Sing because he didn't decide who got the franchise tag.

Dont blame it on Sing? Sing makes the final call on who plays. The same Sing who started Troy Smith over Alex and costed us the playoffs. Wasnt it also Scotty M who was fired btw, the one who franchised Franklin?

They havent gave Franklin a contract yet and they wont because he isnt worth it.
Share 49ersWebzone