LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 210 users in the forums

No doubt in my mind Niners will be SB contenders for 2012 season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Okie5a:
I'm like a lot of people who sees that Smith can play and has a lot of potential. I know that 'potential' does not win games. I just know that he has lacked some of the very basics from the start (consistent OC and OL) that are essential to be successful in this 'cut throat' league. Forget about having great receivers . . . . without consitent offensive coaching and pocket protection, NO ONE can be successful.

I am optomistic. I'm not making excuses for him, just reciting the history. Best of all is that Alex does not make excuses. He has character, and with that as his foundation, he is bound to succeed. And I for one, am hoping it is with SF.

Bad QB-ing can make an Oline look awful and a good coach look pathetic and vice versa.

Shaun Hill had the same coaching, had diff OC's, same line, same receivers, etc and outperformed Alex. Where are Shaun's excuses? 23TD-11INTs QB Rating >85%? Maybe the 9ers can bring him back.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by Snider8706:
Alex smith=doubt

Alex Smith= FAIL

In the guy's defense, how many other QB's would have done well given what he had to go through. As a 21 year old, he took over for a 2-14 team, played behind an awful line, and had an awful receiving corps. Played well as a 22 year old in '06 (even with no dangerous weapons at his disposal) and looked to have a skyhigh limit. Started off 2-1 with a horrible OC in '07 and then injuries wiped the rest of that year and '08. Actually played some decent ball in '09 and '10- hell, he was better last year than Kevin Kolb (who some team will give up a king's ransom to acquire)- look it up. And that's with a ton of well thrown balls that were tipped and intercepted and always facing head from whoever Anthony Davis was blocking. And you can't disregard he played for Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary and Jimmy Raye and Jim Hostler who had no idea about how to have a successful offense or develop a QB. And a new OC EVERY year of his career. Peyton Manning had the same OC from '98-'10. Who else would have done well if they were in his shoes. He's got some legitimate excuses IMO, and even with them has played decently. People also need to make sure they omit from their memory banks the 3 starts he was awful in in the middle of '07 when he came back from the shoulder before they realized he needed to shut it down. His shoulder was shredded- can't judge him on those games.

Sounds like a bunch of Alexcuses to me. You can argue and come up with plenty of excuses for any player in the league that hasn't done well in their career, but at the end of the day it's all about production. Other than one mediocre season in 2006, Alex Smith has not produced anything. As a number one overall pick, you are expected to produce and have a positive impact on your team almost immediately (e.g. Sam Bradford). This is going to be year 7 for Alex and he has not proven that he is the franchise QB that he was expected to be when he was drafted. I'm not knocking the guy's work ethic or character, but I just don't see or believe he has what it takes to be an elite or even good QB in the NFL.

Totally disagree. Alex Smith's biggest problem is that he was chosen #1 in '05. Had he been picked later in the round or in the 2nd, there would be more tolereance for the up and down performance. Fact is, he HAS HAD 7 OCs, injuries and a slew of defensive minded HCs. My take is that under Harbuagh, he will continue to improve. My take: 2011 record- 9-7 (49ers make playoffs) Alex's passer rating will be top 15; he re-signs for another 2 years. 2012 record - 12-4 contend for NFC title . . . .

Alex biggest problems = Alexcuses
A couple more points:

Ever thought he might have been part of the reason why they had so many OC's? Just saying.” Kind of like why Urban Meyer went from Utah to Florida . . . . Florida has a national championship because of Alex Smith . . . just saying.

“. . . the issue is Alex was selected 1st overall when he should have been selected far later. With that said, he would not be on this team if he was picked #2. Only reason he's here is because the Yorks have invested a LOT of money in him and wanted to still give him a shot.” If Alex were selected in the 2nd round, he would still be on this team because of his talent and potential – it would be much easier to keep him under contract because they would have had less money invested in him.

It is a results based league, but thank goodness there are people with reason out there who have patience and will cultivate talent - Thanks to Bill Walsh for throwing a life preserver to Steve Young. In a ‘cut throat’ league he may have never made it with another team, but he was given another chance . . . just saying.
"Alex biggest problems = Alexcuses"

One last point -- Alex has not made any excuses. He has taken responsibility for his failures, and often give credit to others for his successes. dude has character - he also has a great future - go Niners.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Alex Smith throwing for over 4K?

To hit 4K, he'd need to add 35 yards per game to what he did last year. I think that could be do-able...then again, you never know with the lockout...
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Alex Smith throwing for over 4K?

To hit 4K, he'd need to add 35 yards per game to what he did last year. I think that could be do-able...then again, you never know with the lockout...

That may seem innocuous, but that could also be the difference between 7-9 and 10-6. NFL players are really good! There's not much that differentiates the elite from the rest.

35+ yards means at least of few more completions, which more than likely requires fewer interceptions. Essentially, just improving one stat may seem fairly easy, but TDs and INTs are also connected.

I think Alex Smith will play most of the season, until he gets hurt (maybe November). Colin comes in and has really good moments and really bad moments and we hold .500 with him and sneak into the playoffs where anything can happen.
hopefully we win it all, seeing as how the world ends on dec. 20, 2012

One last point -- Alex has not made any excuses. He has taken responsibility for his failures, and often give credit to others for his successes. dude has character - he also has a great future - go Niners.

But some of the fans on this board have made plenty of excuses for him.
  • Jiks

But some of the fans on this board have made plenty of excuses for him.

Just as some of the fans have made plenty of excuses against him. It's not just one sided. For every single excuse people have used to support Alex, there has been a counter excuse for the other side bashing Alex. Reminds me of politics really. Both sides are equally annoying IMO.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
hopefully we win it all, seeing as how the world ends on dec. 20, 2012

Thought it was the 21st?

Altough I've also heard the 23rd.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We have huge question marks before we are contenders.

~ QB
~ CB
~ FS
~ SS
~ OLB pass rusher

~ HC - I like Harbaugh a lot but he hasn't proven anything in the pros yet.

Give it a little time.

Realistically looking at it we should be an ascending team from 2013 - 2015. But by then we are looking at having to replace Frank Gore.

The most important things for us would be for Harbaugh to work out and for a QB to step up. The rest will solve itself in a few offseasons of drafting and FA.

Might as well Offensive Line in there.....how will we pass block? Will Davis continue to give up the most sacks in the league?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Homer Koolaid is Greeeeaaaat!!!!
puff, puff, pass.....
lets make da playoffs for the first time in 8 years b4 talking super bowl.
"you may say that I'm a dreamer....but I'm not the only one"- Lennon
Share 49ersWebzone