There are 186 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Traffic After 49ers Games at Candlestick

Of course, the Bay Area can have very bad traffic. That's just how it is in a big city.

I was just thinking about how bad it is after a game at Candlestick. It feels like you could be trapped there for hours. I've never been to any other stadium, so I was just curious about how bad other places are.

Do other stadiums in other metropolitan areas have similar traffic? Or is Candlestick and the surrounding areas just not properly designed to handle the massive amount of people leaving the game?
[ Edited by Wubbie on Jul 6, 2011 at 1:57 PM ]
Every event where literally thousands of people are leaving a small area relatively around the same time, will result in terrible traffic. However, Candlestick's location makes matter even worse and the idea that you really only have one major outlet going south and north (the 101) creates a bigger mess. (I know, I know you can take the 280, but you still need to get on the 101 at some point.)

Personally, we always just hang out in the parking lot after the games and wait for traffic to die down. More BBQ and one last drink never hurt anyone (okay, that last part may not be true, but it sounds like it should be true).
[ Edited by elhebrewhammer on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:13 PM ]
solution = afterglow.

Its pretty easy to get out of the park. Not too bad if youre going south on 101 either. If youre going north though prepare to wait a while.
if you have a yellow parking pass which allows you to park in the main cement lot, you can get onto 101 in about 20 minutes, even in the thick of it. if you have to park in one of the exterior lots, be prepared to spend at least an hour in traffic before you get on 101.
I've never had any problems with traffic after the games. I park down on Tunnel Rd right near the freeway. Its so easy after games and its free. Get on the freeway in two seconds.
Been to Ralph Wilson Stadium multiple times, and its the worst traffic imaginable. 60,000+ exiting onto a small two lane road. The position of the stadium is odd, sparce residential area, then the stadium.
Park far away from the stadium, closer to the 101 exits that you take. Don't park in the actual stadium parking lots, or you will be forced to go the "long" way, which will take at least an hour. The "short" way will take about 5 minutes.
I've been to a handful of other stadiums, and it's been just as bad at all of them.

Just post-tailgate.
Step 1: Save one quarter to one half of the pregame tailgate beer, plus a fat hoo-hoo.
Step 2: After the game, fire up some talk radio and crack open a frosty one whilst the sober driver drinks water and frustrated traffic haters honk at each other.
Step 3: Call said talk radio station with an excellent point, only to be put on hold while some other jackass makes the same point less eloquently.
Step 4: Shake it off and calmly leave the now empty parking lot stress free. Pure zen.

Leaving Raider games is even worse. I mean traffic is better, but, dude, you just watched the Raiders.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
That dirt field parking lot is a joke, where its like a free for all to get out
Well At the Medowlands stadium in jersey isnt bad at all because half the people leave with the train so the traffic is spaced out and there is many exits
At the London game, they had everyone out and on their ways within about 20 minutes. That was also 75,000 PEOPLE! Granted nobody really drives to the soccer games in Europe.

I sure hope the new stadium being right by lightrail alleviates the congestion. I will likely take public transportation to every game once they move.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
At the London game, they had everyone out and on their ways within about 20 minutes. That was also 75,000 PEOPLE! Granted nobody really drives to the soccer games in Europe.

I sure hope the new stadium being right by lightrail alleviates the congestion. I will likely take public transportation to every game once they move.

London game was still atrocious... at least on the public transportation side. over 15000 people going up 1 road to a train all bad but ya i dont really experience much traffic at away games. Alot of the reason is most stadiums have some sort of public train system and more then 1 or 2 ways out lol.
Originally posted by Druckenmiller14:
I've never had any problems with traffic after the games. I park down on Tunnel Rd right near the freeway. Its so easy after games and its free. Get on the freeway in two seconds.

Is there an actual parking out there or is it just along the road? Seems like a good spot, but do you think you could tailgate out there? And how long is the walk? Sorry for so many questions, I'm sort of a rookie at going to these games.