There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Official Harbaugh Era QB competition!

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Alex has a legit shot to succed for several reasons
1. Jim Harbaugh
2. Jim Harbaugh
3. Jim Harbaugh
4. Solid O-Line

Exactly. I expect Alex to finish the season with 100+ QB rating, anything less is a disappointment

didn't manning have like a 92 last year? lol

Yep... and Alex had a 91 down the stretch.

3 1/2 games with one of them being a glorified preseason game is just irrelvant. I'll take what he did the rest of the season opposed to that 91 down the stretch.

I'm geeked about him this year, but there's no justifying his play last year. It was below adequate anyway you break it down.

really last 7 games, 11 td's 3 ints. best qb in our division, not to mention only behind rogers in nfl. dont know what u watched. ok he didnt win games. the d didnt make it easy for him... iether way hell be fine. the fans wont new offense short time period theyll boo him on one bad throw regardless.

put him in sanchez position hed be just as good as average ass sanchez with that d.

Yeah he tore up Oak, Carolina, Sea, STL, AZ.

Check out what he did against NO, ATL, KC, SD, PHI... 6 TDs and 8 INTS. He missed the games against TB and GB which he would have stunk it up like usual.

Its easy to make him look good posting his stats against sorry teams that combined for 29-51 records.

Bravo to Smith.

as i have said before our whole team sucked last year hence the record. if d plays better alex wont have to score 6 times to win every game. sanchez is maybe an average qb but doesnt have to do s**t to win. if he can get edwards 900 so can alex.

Yes the team didn't play well but Smith's mistakes contributed to the losses. You can repeatedly point out a plays he made to help the losses.

Yeah in teh ATL game if he scored more then 7 points we win. If he doesn't take that stupid intentional grounding penalty, we win.

Against Philly if he doesn't fumble like an idiot we have a chance to win.

Against NO if he doesn't throw two picks, one in the red zone, we win.

In STL, he had a chance to lead us in the end. What did he do? Fumble.

There are other players who contributed to the losses but the leader of the offense does s**t to hurt the team almost every game and doesn't do much to help.

His 2 INTs in the ATL were complete boneheaded plays. The type that a 6th year vet should not be making. Get ready for Alexcuse #234
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Alex has a legit shot to succed for several reasons
1. Jim Harbaugh
2. Jim Harbaugh
3. Jim Harbaugh
4. Solid O-Line

Exactly. I expect Alex to finish the season with 100+ QB rating, anything less is a disappointment

didn't manning have like a 92 last year? lol

Yep... and Alex had a 91 down the stretch.

3 1/2 games with one of them being a glorified preseason game is just irrelvant. I'll take what he did the rest of the season opposed to that 91 down the stretch.

I'm geeked about him this year, but there's no justifying his play last year. It was below adequate anyway you break it down.

really last 7 games, 11 td's 3 ints. best qb in our division, not to mention only behind rogers in nfl. dont know what u watched. ok he didnt win games. the d didnt make it easy for him... iether way hell be fine. the fans wont new offense short time period theyll boo him on one bad throw regardless.

put him in sanchez position hed be just as good as average ass sanchez with that d.

Yeah he tore up Oak, Carolina, Sea, STL, AZ.

Check out what he did against NO, ATL, KC, SD, PHI... 6 TDs and 8 INTS. He missed the games against TB and GB which he would have stunk it up like usual.

Its easy to make him look good posting his stats against sorry teams that combined for 29-51 records.

Bravo to Smith.

as i have said before our whole team sucked last year hence the record. if d plays better alex wont have to score 6 times to win every game. sanchez is maybe an average qb but doesnt have to do s**t to win. if he can get edwards 900 so can alex.

Yes the team didn't play well but Smith's mistakes contributed to the losses. You can repeatedly point out a plays he made to help the losses.

Yeah in teh ATL game if he scored more then 7 points we win. If he doesn't take that stupid intentional grounding penalty, we win.

Against Philly if he doesn't fumble like an idiot we have a chance to win.

Against NO if he doesn't throw two picks, one in the red zone, we win.

In STL, he had a chance to lead us in the end. What did he do? Fumble.

There are other players who contributed to the losses but the leader of the offense does s**t to hurt the team almost every game and doesn't do much to help.

His 2 INTs in the ATL were complete boneheaded plays. The type that a 6th year vet should not be making. Get ready for Alexcuse #234

like i said he can produce like sanchez. as long as the d keeps the pts down. if d is good we need average qb play... dude d allowed how many pts a gamet atleast what 21.. im being genorous. if they drop it to 17 thats two tds a field goal. 2 tds a game gore or him. and akers gets in. but lets all put losses on smith. whole team plays better well win alex will produce what he needs to.

plus the best sit for kap period is to sit. and we didnt bring anyone in so cheer for smith or shut up. cuz booing and being negative wont help the team win at all
Why do you keep comparing Sanchez to Smith? Sanchez is in a very lucky situation because he has the BEST D IN THE LEAGUE.


Is that the only Mr.Smith can succeed? If he has a top 5 D?
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Why do you keep comparing Sanchez to Smith? Sanchez is in a very lucky situation because he has the BEST D IN THE LEAGUE.


Is that the only Mr.Smith can succeed? If he has a top 5 D?

never said that. i said our team sucked last year not just smith. i said if the team plays better smith wont have to be brady or rogers to win he can be an average qb like dilfer or sanchez. last year alex produced way better than dilfer in 2000. our division is weak. get my average point now.
this thread should actually be about the competition and what we read about or witness in camp or games. talking about last years games is irrelevant. HARBAUGH ERA QB COMPETITION.
Did you guys watch the training camp video. Looked good, alex as always can't feel the pressure and rolled to the right and threw it away. Looked better after that seemed to get his mind right!

Colin looks good for a rookie. I think jim might have his hands full with alex and 2 rookie qb's.
LOL @this becoming another classic alex thread
I think it'll be alright in here.

The main problem I wonder is if we can ever let go of the past. There's a very thin line between remembering greatness, and what we've had for the past 8 years.

When i started in here, i used to get sick of our current team being compared to the team of 5 super bowl rings. Every win or loss we'd be like that wouldnt happen with Mooch, or Young, or Montana, etc. It seems like we finally have managed to just get over that, while at the same time, never forgetting what a winning team and/ or season feels like.

I made this thread just like the guy said above its the Era of Harbaugh competition, and although this is just training camp, some are still failing to see, even if just a glitch of the greatness that we MAY taste again.

Tell me how long its been guys, since we felt this excited, and emotional, and on the edge of our seats, just to hear a word, read a detail, or get a glimpse at our current team under Harbaugh. Not since T.O. and Mooch left for me anyways.

We need to let go of not just Alex, but the entire team of the past. If there is one thing we can agree on, it should be that, this is not the same team that totally seemed lost since 2002. We have a damn good reason to be optimistic, and although some still cant let go of their individual bias's for some reason, i say for the sake of the team we should all be able to support the current regime.

About 95 percent of us admittingly or not, was ready to blow up the FO for their horrendous job of waiting as Baalke said. Now we have a post started saying something to the effect of is this the best free agent class in a long time. We have our big names that some wanted, and although they may not be lights out, everyone we added seems to bring sumthing better than the guy they replaced.

Smith only back for a year, a true No.1 receiver, one of the best if not the best line backer, and TE in the league. And the other main thing, We finally drafted a young Qb, who we can all agree seems to have that *it* factor that many of us said has been lacking. He was taken in the 2nd round for a reason, and how reassuring is it to know that we finally have a coach that knows how to bring the best out in him, all while fine tuning his current skillset.

This is the new Era of Coaching for us, someone who pays attention to detail, someone who knows how to coach to a players strength, and above all someone who's not afraid to go against the grain, and can adjust playcalling at the drop of a dime if need be. (Still dont know if it will translate to the NFL just yet, but we'll find out next week right)

So fellas, like a certain player or not, this is about the QB competition, the real competition, and it's very comfortable in knowing that if kap doesnt start this year, that its not because of some gimmick, but because coach feels he wants him to be great when he takes the reigns, not just average. And if coach feels that he should start for some reason or another, then so be it, and the Kap era will begin.

Lets just look at all the competition, the coaches, and the players without rose colored glasses, and without holding on to past experiences. If we can do that, please believe we will be no longer one of the laughing stock fan bases, that we currently are.

WE all agree lets go niners. Well i say LETS GO FANS, and lets support our team like we all can, and have, TOGETHER in the past. We are a part of the organization as well, and when we can be a driving force, just like in a lot of our road games, DAMN!, just wonder how much we could achieve as a whole, and help our team succeed.
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Aug 7, 2011 at 5:51 AM ]
Good post Jersey9er! The tired old arguments should be put to bed and more info about TC and the new schemes should take their place. We don't need to rehash the past when we have football back.

In another thread a poster questioned Harbaugh's coaching method of mixing up practice and throwing live action at varying times. Have been thinking about this and I love it. This should help all the positions but QBs need to practice with the unknown facing them, kept off balance so when games come they are use to it. What a great practice concept that JH is evidently taking to a new extreme.

Harbaugh also sneaks up on players, I hope the QBs included, and tries to knock the ball out of their hands. This may seem like a small, silly action but it sets a fun tone--don't let down your guard during practice--later the game. Love this as well.

Also, I'm noticing that the D seem to be playing at a better level than last years TC, according to the accounts I've read. This will help the QBs as well. Practice against a known D can cause a false comfort level, but having Fangio mixing things up will keep QBs from being complacent. Aldon Smith getting to the QB and Whitner flying around the field presents something the team did not see enough in past years.

Of course, this is still too early to take these as omens but it is exciting!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 7, 2011 at 8:23 AM ]
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
this thread should actually be about the competition and what we read about or witness in camp or games. talking about last years games is irrelevant. HARBAUGH ERA QB COMPETITION.
TC news to date shows that Harbaugh has a much better scheme for the offense that will actually give QBs some decent reads and options. In the latest fan observation the change in checkdown routes was noted. That will make a huge change in the effectiveness of whoever winds up at QB. The routes Nolan/Sing used were mostly throw aways that gained very little even when run well.

All good news so far....
Originally posted by dj43:
TC news to date shows that Harbaugh has a much better scheme for the offense that will actually give QBs some decent reads and options. In the latest fan observation the change in checkdown routes was noted. That will make a huge change in the effectiveness of whoever winds up at QB. The routes Nolan/Sing used were mostly throw aways that gained very little even when run well.

All good news so far....

I agree and it cracks me up that people criticize for checkdowns as that WAS the WCOs most potent weapon--the dink until they fall asleep concept, then down the field for a big gain. Now with the checkdowns being down field instead of RB behind the LOS it will be back where it belongs and the QBs will look much better. Great observation from poster!
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Alex has a legit shot to succed for several reasons
1. Jim Harbaugh
2. Jim Harbaugh
3. Jim Harbaugh
4. Solid O-Line

Exactly. I expect Alex to finish the season with 100+ QB rating, anything less is a disappointment

didn't manning have like a 92 last year? lol

Yep... and Alex had a 91 down the stretch.

3 1/2 games with one of them being a glorified preseason game is just irrelvant. I'll take what he did the rest of the season opposed to that 91 down the stretch.

I'm geeked about him this year, but there's no justifying his play last year. It was below adequate anyway you break it down.

really last 7 games, 11 td's 3 ints. best qb in our division, not to mention only behind rogers in nfl. dont know what u watched. ok he didnt win games. the d didnt make it easy for him... iether way hell be fine. the fans wont new offense short time period theyll boo him on one bad throw regardless.

put him in sanchez position hed be just as good as average ass sanchez with that d. s**t knbr said he was better than dilfer in 2000.

You're cherry picking stats. Smith didn't play 7 straight games. He got benched and when he came back he played 3 1/2 games. Before his benching here's what he did. Against Philly he turned the ball over 3 times and got booed out of the stadium. Against Oakland and Carolina he had a 87.4 rating but mediocre play none the less. Got benched at halftime in the Carolina game too.

5 of those 11 touchdowns came in 2 games 1 of them being the preseason game.

He had a great meaningful game against Seattle, if you say anything other than you have no clue what you're talking about. Nothing more than average in the rest of them, and even that's being about generous as can be.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Aug 7, 2011 at 9:00 AM ]
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
I think it'll be alright in here.

The main problem I wonder is if we can ever let go of the past. There's a very thin line between remembering greatness, and what we've had for the past 8 years.

When i started in here, i used to get sick of our current team being compared to the team of 5 super bowl rings. Every win or loss we'd be like that wouldnt happen with Mooch, or Young, or Montana, etc. It seems like we finally have managed to just get over that, while at the same time, never forgetting what a winning team and/ or season feels like.

I made this thread just like the guy said above its the Era of Harbaugh competition, and although this is just training camp, some are still failing to see, even if just a glitch of the greatness that we MAY taste again.

Tell me how long its been guys, since we felt this excited, and emotional, and on the edge of our seats, just to hear a word, read a detail, or get a glimpse at our current team under Harbaugh. Not since T.O. and Mooch left for me anyways.

We need to let go of not just Alex, but the entire team of the past. If there is one thing we can agree on, it should be that, this is not the same team that totally seemed lost since 2002. We have a damn good reason to be optimistic, and although some still cant let go of their individual bias's for some reason, i say for the sake of the team we should all be able to support the current regime.

About 95 percent of us admittingly or not, was ready to blow up the FO for their horrendous job of waiting as Baalke said. Now we have a post started saying something to the effect of is this the best free agent class in a long time. We have our big names that some wanted, and although they may not be lights out, everyone we added seems to bring sumthing better than the guy they replaced.

Smith only back for a year, a true No.1 receiver, one of the best if not the best line backer, and TE in the league. And the other main thing, We finally drafted a young Qb, who we can all agree seems to have that *it* factor that many of us said has been lacking. He was taken in the 2nd round for a reason, and how reassuring is it to know that we finally have a coach that knows how to bring the best out in him, all while fine tuning his current skillset.

This is the new Era of Coaching for us, someone who pays attention to detail, someone who knows how to coach to a players strength, and above all someone who's not afraid to go against the grain, and can adjust playcalling at the drop of a dime if need be. (Still dont know if it will translate to the NFL just yet, but we'll find out next week right)

So fellas, like a certain player or not, this is about the QB competition, the real competition, and it's very comfortable in knowing that if kap doesnt start this year, that its not because of some gimmick, but because coach feels he wants him to be great when he takes the reigns, not just average. And if coach feels that he should start for some reason or another, then so be it, and the Kap era will begin.

Lets just look at all the competition, the coaches, and the players without rose colored glasses, and without holding on to past experiences. If we can do that, please believe we will be no longer one of the laughing stock fan bases, that we currently are.

WE all agree lets go niners. Well i say LETS GO FANS, and lets support our team like we all can, and have, TOGETHER in the past. We are a part of the organization as well, and when we can be a driving force, just like in a lot of our road games, DAMN!, just wonder how much we could achieve as a whole, and help our team succeed.

I'm sure we will let go of the past when we put up a winning season.

I stated the other day I don't like Alex Smith the QB however I will support him because that is the 49er fan in me. This thing about "let's support the team" stuff. Who isn't doing that? I'm sure the posters that come to this website are true 49er fans so I don't understand the support the team statement.

Now there are going to be 49er fans that don't like Alex Smith but are hoping he will turn it around for the sake of the team! There are other players on this team that fans do not like. There are fans that have their favorite players. These are the reasons they are Niner fans bottom line regardless of bias.

The positive or negative comments about a player (Alex) shouldn’t bring into question a fans loyalty to his team or have any effect on that fans view on that player. All of us will not agree on every aspect of this team. (This is for both extremist in the Alex debate).

So don’t make blanket statements that we are “One of the laughing stock fans in the NFL” because fans are tired of Alex Smith! Other team fans say otherwise because we keep giving him chances. So what! Look at like this if Alex doesn’t work out that means we will most likely have a losing season and fans will boo and be upset! If he is successful, most likely we’re successful and fans will cheer and be excited… simple!

As far as Harbaugh’s QB competition? There isn’t one just like every other year. Alex Smith is going to be the starter barring injury. Go NINERS!
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
I think it'll be alright in here.

The main problem I wonder is if we can ever let go of the past. There's a very thin line between remembering greatness, and what we've had for the past 8 years.

When i started in here, i used to get sick of our current team being compared to the team of 5 super bowl rings. Every win or loss we'd be like that wouldnt happen with Mooch, or Young, or Montana, etc. It seems like we finally have managed to just get over that, while at the same time, never forgetting what a winning team and/ or season feels like.

I made this thread just like the guy said above its the Era of Harbaugh competition, and although this is just training camp, some are still failing to see, even if just a glitch of the greatness that we MAY taste again.

Tell me how long its been guys, since we felt this excited, and emotional, and on the edge of our seats, just to hear a word, read a detail, or get a glimpse at our current team under Harbaugh. Not since T.O. and Mooch left for me anyways.

We need to let go of not just Alex, but the entire team of the past. If there is one thing we can agree on, it should be that, this is not the same team that totally seemed lost since 2002. We have a damn good reason to be optimistic, and although some still cant let go of their individual bias's for some reason, i say for the sake of the team we should all be able to support the current regime.

About 95 percent of us admittingly or not, was ready to blow up the FO for their horrendous job of waiting as Baalke said. Now we have a post started saying something to the effect of is this the best free agent class in a long time. We have our big names that some wanted, and although they may not be lights out, everyone we added seems to bring sumthing better than the guy they replaced.

Smith only back for a year, a true No.1 receiver, one of the best if not the best line backer, and TE in the league. And the other main thing, We finally drafted a young Qb, who we can all agree seems to have that *it* factor that many of us said has been lacking. He was taken in the 2nd round for a reason, and how reassuring is it to know that we finally have a coach that knows how to bring the best out in him, all while fine tuning his current skillset.

This is the new Era of Coaching for us, someone who pays attention to detail, someone who knows how to coach to a players strength, and above all someone who's not afraid to go against the grain, and can adjust playcalling at the drop of a dime if need be. (Still dont know if it will translate to the NFL just yet, but we'll find out next week right)

So fellas, like a certain player or not, this is about the QB competition, the real competition, and it's very comfortable in knowing that if kap doesnt start this year, that its not because of some gimmick, but because coach feels he wants him to be great when he takes the reigns, not just average. And if coach feels that he should start for some reason or another, then so be it, and the Kap era will begin.

Lets just look at all the competition, the coaches, and the players without rose colored glasses, and without holding on to past experiences. If we can do that, please believe we will be no longer one of the laughing stock fan bases, that we currently are.

WE all agree lets go niners. Well i say LETS GO FANS, and lets support our team like we all can, and have, TOGETHER in the past. We are a part of the organization as well, and when we can be a driving force, just like in a lot of our road games, DAMN!, just wonder how much we could achieve as a whole, and help our team succeed.

I'm sure we will let go of the past when we put up a winning season.

I stated the other day I don't like Alex Smith the QB however I will support him because that is the 49er fan in me. This thing about "let's support the team" stuff. Who isn't doing that? I'm sure the posters that come to this website are true 49er fans so I don't understand the support the team statement.

Now there are going to be 49er fans that don't like Alex Smith but are hoping he will turn it around for the sake of the team! There are other players on this team that fans do not like. There are fans that have their favorite players. These are the reasons they are Niner fans bottom line regardless of bias.

The positive or negative comments about a player (Alex) shouldn’t bring into question a fans loyalty to his team or have any effect on that fans view on that player. All of us will not agree on every aspect of this team. (This is for both extremist in the Alex debate).

So don’t make blanket statements that we are “One of the laughing stock fans in the NFL” because fans are tired of Alex Smith! Other team fans say otherwise because we keep giving him chances. So what! Look at like this if Alex doesn’t work out that means we will most likely have a losing season and fans will boo and be upset! If he is successful, most likely we’re successful and fans will cheer and be excited… simple!

As far as Harbaugh’s QB competition? There isn’t one just like every other year. Alex Smith is going to be the starter barring injury. Go NINERS!

Wow just wow, id rather u had not even commented, bruh. No where in that statment did i say laughing stock because of Alex Smith. And thats what im talkin bout. You see what u wanted to see out of all that. I also pointed out, how many of us were ready to kill the F/O for not doing what some thought they should, then when they did, we were happy as hell. Take the issue with Crabs, some are saying bust, and for another team, and some are like give the guy a chance.

All that i wrote was towards those fans that make it about one player, and one player only, whether Smith, Crabs, or anyone else on the team, and if u fall into that category then so be it.

If you read before i posted this original comment, this was turning into a just about alex smith thread, and thats not why this post was made. it was made to discuss Alex, and Kap, and our no 3 qb, and how they are looking (now 2011). Not how alex did in the past with this, or kap did in college, or anything else. Its about the 2011 harbaugh qb competition, and if it serves me correctly, this is his first year, so i could care less how he looked with dingleberry, or Nolan as our HC.

Obviously u took offense to something i guess, which is why everything u wrote just reverted about Smith, just proved exactly what i was talking about. I'll give u a good example, witout saying any names a zoner wrote that Kap will start sooner than later, and that when he went to practice he saw Smith looked horrible. many fans wrote back and said that well even tho u feel like that, we have about 99% of others that felt the opposite way, including reporters, columnists, and papers alike, so who was right, and who was wrong.

This post once again was saying debate, talk about the positives and negatives. Who did this and who did that, but this year, not years before. As far as im concerned the whole team is new, and the production they had in seasons end is erased in my eyes. Does this mindset go for everyone out there, hell nah, which is why we have the zone.

But like i said my parents taught me, u cant ever do anything to change how a person thinks, and people just read this post, or didnt, and moved on, but u felt the need to write all u did, and just focus on smith for about 90% of your response.

Also, i mean seriously u act like none of our fanbase is bias in any way to the point in which their entire judgement on any player, coach, or team aspect is clouded completely by the past. Some of us were even worried that any moment, during TC that there were gonna be boos, and such, and there were not (all stemming from the past). I should of said laughing stock as an entire organization in the past, and as i said at the end of my post when talking about the positives, that we are also apart of the organization.

I said whether with Smith, or Crabs, or Davis, or Gore, lets focus on now. And once again this thread is about The Harbaugh Era QB competition only. Anything else, and someone can just start another thread about the past this or that, or past competitions, or TC's.

We can go back and forth brotha, but ill end it here and maybe we can agree on one thing if at all..... Go Niners!
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Aug 7, 2011 at 10:18 AM ]