There are 238 users in the forums

The Official Harbaugh Era QB competition!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Done

And well done. I didn't see it until after I posted, though.

No problem! Simultaneous postings...and crop circles...are mysterious events!
If you give Alex Smith a party, he'll want balloons.
Originally posted by classyfan49:

There better be punch and pie too, he only came for the punch and pie.

Do you have kids?

Is this a reference to those childrens books, if you take a mouse to the movies or if you give a moose a muffin?
  • ttime
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Playing more loosely would seem to go against Alex's cautious, deliberate nature, requiring a pretty significant transformation of his psychological makeup. I hope Harbaugh took clinical psych 101!

Alex's nature... as described long ago by Urban Meyer... was that once he is comfortable with the intricacies of the system, he is instinctual and plays loosely. Problem was, he never had a steady and competent scheme long enough to reach that level of comfort. Add to that, the extreme rigidness of Nolan + Singletary, and it is no wonder his instincts and loose play were unattainable.

The only question left is, is the wiring in his brain irrevocably set? I genuinely do not think so. In some people, it would have been. They would have given up or had a Ryan Leaf-esque mental explosion. I don't see that from Alex's actions, words, or known character make-up.

Alex has had plenty of time. He said so himself when he reviewed his play from last year and concluded that he was over thinking, at times. People can say what they want about Sing, but he gave Smith a great deal of support and Smith had his best years under Sing. I can appreciate Alex as he does not make the type of excuses for his play that some make for him. He doe not put the primary blame on the coaches, the players, the OL, VD, or anyone else but himself. He has more character than some of his fans which is why some continue to hope for the best.
  • dj43
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by dj43:

If you truly believe all this team needs is Philip Rivers then I have lost a little respect for your credibility.

This offense needs a RG, a LT, a healthy LT, a TE that can read and adjust, WRs that can run good routes and get separation...and then we come to a defense that can't rush the passer or defend against the pass. Other than that, yes, this team could dominate.

Why lose credibility for me? Think about it for a second. Phillip Rivers was on a 9-7 team and had a phenomenal year. They missed the playoffs because the team sucked. DESPITE THE s**tTY TEAM EFFORT, Rivers was able to put up phenominal stats with his main WR gone most of the season, and his stud TE injured. Also, their OLINE was crap. If their TEAM was better, Rivers' QB play would have been worth a s**t. A.Smith barely puts up stats like this in his career...

Phillip Rivers 2010 Stats:

Comp: 65%
Yards: 4,710 (Smith has yet to hit 3,000 in any one season)
TD: 30 (Smith has 51 in 5 seasons. 6 including the injury season)
Int: 13 (Smith had 9 in the first 5 games)
Sacked: 38 (Bad OL this year but still able to produce)
Rating: 101.8 (Smith has yet to eclipse 85 in any given season)

So yeah. I do think the 49ers need Rivers. I think him and the 9ers would dominate the NFC west. I'll take his 30 tds and skills any day. Despite having no weapons on O for most of the year, and a bad Oline, he was able to produce and play well. His team went 9-7 because he willed them to some victories with sheer great QB play despite all the injuries, suspensions, and drama. And with no RB game to speak of.

So before you bash my cred, think about it.

With Rivers, the 9ers would be a force in the NFC for many years to come.

Hypothetically speaking, yes.

Some people truly don't understand that a great QB can make a lot of holes go away.

You really think a Brees or Rivers would struggle to get the ball to Crabs/Morgan/VD? You think the D would be as bad with all that newfound rest they'd get cuz the O can acutally move the ball?

I'm so sick of people downplaying the talent on this team.

Arizona went from SB contender to worst team in the league in 1 season cuz they lost their QB.

Exactly... Swap Alex Smith for any good to decent QB in the league and we are instantly better, not just at the QB position but as a team. Receivers would get the ball delivered on time with accuracy, the Oline wouldn't have to pass protect as long, the opponents defense wouldn't stack 8-9 guys in the box because they would have some respect for our QB/passing game, our RBs would thrive with a more balanced attack, and like you mentioned, our defense would get off the field for longer and get some much needed rest.

Alex Smith is one of the worst QBs in NFL history and the thought of him playing a 7th season as a 49er is a shame. I wouldn't be surprised if some journey man free agent comes in and beats him for the starting spot like usual.

Your knowledge of football history must be pretty weak if you think he is one of the worst ever. It is quite clear you have lost all objectivity if you honestly believe that.
The Cardinals lost more than just Warner before they fell apart... Also, Alex is not one of the worst in history, there are people like jamarcus russell Akeli smith, Cody Pickett, Ryan Leaf, Danny Wurfeul, Tim Tebow.. etc

Infact, I bet if Alex was on the Cardinals team last year, they make the playoffs and not the seahawks.

Wonder what those guys would look like if they got 6 years of time rather than 1, 2 or 3 years.
Also, how is Tim Tebow on the list? I don't really like Tebow, but in his limited time in the league, he's looked decent. A hell of a lot better than Alex did in his rookie season.

the Tebow part was sarcasm, or a failed attempt at a joke. As far as the bolded part goes, Alex was not as bad as any of those other QB's, it was clear they werent even good enough to be backups. That is probably my only guess at why The niners have an addiction to Smitty. (That and any of the other FA QB's out there, aren't really a huge upgrade, or could possibly be worse.)

Alex's stats in his first 2 seasons were very similar to Ryan Leaf's. Leaf was just a douchebag and his teammates hated him.

Cody Pickett? He was a 7th round pick...he doesn't qualify...the team invested nothing in him.

Akili Smith? His rookie season numbers were better than Alex's. Thing is, he was never a good prospect and Cincy cut their ties with him.

Wuerfel was a 4th round pick. He doesn't qualify.

Alex had one of the worst rookie seasons in recent memory. He got better in his 2nd year and slightly improved every year after that.

But, if he wasn't a 1st pick and the Yorks weren't cheapskates, he would have either been cut or replaced with another QB of the future after his 2nd/3rd year and he'd be mentioned in the same sentence as Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus.

He's lucky as hell that the franchise stuck with him, because no other franchise would have.

So again, I wonder if the guys I listed got the chance that Alex did, if any of them would have succeeded. Jamarcus and Ryan Leaf probably wouldn't have since they had attitude issues and weren't hard workers...but what about the others? hmm
A question that needs an answer:

Do you recall reading multiple pro observers noting that the 2006 49ers had less talent than the 1st year expansion Houston Texans?
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ttime:
Playing more loosely would seem to go against Alex's cautious, deliberate nature, requiring a pretty significant transformation of his psychological makeup. I hope Harbaugh took clinical psych 101!

Alex's nature... as described long ago by Urban Meyer... was that once he is comfortable with the intricacies of the system, he is instinctual and plays loosely. Problem was, he never had a steady and competent scheme long enough to reach that level of comfort. Add to that, the extreme rigidness of Nolan + Singletary, and it is no wonder his instincts and loose play were unattainable.

The only question left is, is the wiring in his brain irrevocably set? I genuinely do not think so. In some people, it would have been. They would have given up or had a Ryan Leaf-esque mental explosion. I don't see that from Alex's actions, words, or known character make-up.

Alex has had plenty of time. He said so himself when he reviewed his play from last year and concluded that he was over thinking, at times. People can say what they want about Sing, but he gave Smith a great deal of support and Smith had his best years under Sing. I can appreciate Alex as he does not make the type of excuses for his play that some make for him. He doe not put the primary blame on the coaches, the players, the OL, VD, or anyone else but himself. He has more character than some of his fans which is why some continue to hope for the best.

Excellent post.
promised to never post while drunk, so I'll at least try to delete.....
[ Edited by oldman9er on Jul 8, 2011 at 9:44 PM ]
Originally posted by Otter:
Originally posted by ttime:

Excellent post.

His usually are...
Originally posted by sdninerfan:

Do you have kids?

Is this a reference to those childrens books, if you take a mouse to the movies or if you give a moose a muffin?

Bingo! I presume you do as well!!

promised to never post while drunk, so I'll at least try to delete.....

You and me both. There have been times that I remember waking up thinking, "did I really post that?"
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I will happily eat crow and allow everyone to say "I told you he just needed better coaching." I honestly would like to be wrong about the guy.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by bigmike55:

If you truly believe all this team needs is Philip Rivers then I have lost a little respect for your credibility.

This offense needs a RG, a LT, a healthy LT, a TE that can read and adjust, WRs that can run good routes and get separation...and then we come to a defense that can't rush the passer or defend against the pass. Other than that, yes, this team could dominate.

Why lose credibility for me? Think about it for a second. Phillip Rivers was on a 9-7 team and had a phenomenal year. They missed the playoffs because the team sucked. DESPITE THE s**tTY TEAM EFFORT, Rivers was able to put up phenominal stats with his main WR gone most of the season, and his stud TE injured. Also, their OLINE was crap. If their TEAM was better, Rivers' QB play would have been worth a s**t. A.Smith barely puts up stats like this in his career...

Phillip Rivers 2010 Stats:

Comp: 65%
Yards: 4,710 (Smith has yet to hit 3,000 in any one season)
TD: 30 (Smith has 51 in 5 seasons. 6 including the injury season)
Int: 13 (Smith had 9 in the first 5 games)
Sacked: 38 (Bad OL this year but still able to produce)
Rating: 101.8 (Smith has yet to eclipse 85 in any given season)

So yeah. I do think the 49ers need Rivers. I think him and the 9ers would dominate the NFC west. I'll take his 30 tds and skills any day. Despite having no weapons on O for most of the year, and a bad Oline, he was able to produce and play well. His team went 9-7 because he willed them to some victories with sheer great QB play despite all the injuries, suspensions, and drama. And with no RB game to speak of.

So before you bash my cred, think about it.

With Rivers, the 9ers would be a force in the NFC for many years to come.

Hypothetically speaking, yes.

Some people truly don't understand that a great QB can make a lot of holes go away.

You really think a Brees or Rivers would struggle to get the ball to Crabs/Morgan/VD? You think the D would be as bad with all that newfound rest they'd get cuz the O can acutally move the ball?

I'm so sick of people downplaying the talent on this team.

Arizona went from SB contender to worst team in the league in 1 season cuz they lost their QB.

Exactly... Swap Alex Smith for any good to decent QB in the league and we are instantly better, not just at the QB position but as a team. Receivers would get the ball delivered on time with accuracy, the Oline wouldn't have to pass protect as long, the opponents defense wouldn't stack 8-9 guys in the box because they would have some respect for our QB/passing game, our RBs would thrive with a more balanced attack, and like you mentioned, our defense would get off the field for longer and get some much needed rest.

Alex Smith is one of the worst QBs in NFL history and the thought of him playing a 7th season as a 49er is a shame. I wouldn't be surprised if some journey man free agent comes in and beats him for the starting spot like usual.

Your knowledge of football history must be pretty weak if you think he is one of the worst ever. It is quite clear you have lost all objectivity if you honestly believe that.
The Cardinals lost more than just Warner before they fell apart... Also, Alex is not one of the worst in history, there are people like jamarcus russell Akeli smith, Cody Pickett, Ryan Leaf, Danny Wurfeul, Tim Tebow.. etc

Infact, I bet if Alex was on the Cardinals team last year, they make the playoffs and not the seahawks.

Wonder what those guys would look like if they got 6 years of time rather than 1, 2 or 3 years.
Also, how is Tim Tebow on the list? I don't really like Tebow, but in his limited time in the league, he's looked decent. A hell of a lot better than Alex did in his rookie season.

the Tebow part was sarcasm, or a failed attempt at a joke. As far as the bolded part goes, Alex was not as bad as any of those other QB's, it was clear they werent even good enough to be backups. That is probably my only guess at why The niners have an addiction to Smitty. (That and any of the other FA QB's out there, aren't really a huge upgrade, or could possibly be worse.)

Alex's stats in his first 2 seasons were very similar to Ryan Leaf's. Leaf was just a douchebag and his teammates hated him.

Cody Pickett? He was a 7th round pick...he doesn't qualify...the team invested nothing in him.

Akili Smith? His rookie season numbers were better than Alex's. Thing is, he was never a good prospect and Cincy cut their ties with him.

Wuerfel was a 4th round pick. He doesn't qualify.

Alex had one of the worst rookie seasons in recent memory. He got better in his 2nd year and slightly improved every year after that.

But, if he wasn't a 1st pick and the Yorks weren't cheapskates, he would have either been cut or replaced with another QB of the future after his 2nd/3rd year and he'd be mentioned in the same sentence as Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus.

He's lucky as hell that the franchise stuck with him, because no other franchise would have.

So again, I wonder if the guys I listed got the chance that Alex did, if any of them would have succeeded. Jamarcus and Ryan Leaf probably wouldn't have since they had attitude issues and weren't hard workers...but what about the others? hmm
A question that needs an answer:

Do you recall reading multiple pro observers noting that the 2006 49ers had less talent than the 1st year expansion Houston Texans?

i remember them saying that, and I also remember watching the product on field. What's funny though, as much as we got blown out, we also hung tough in some games that we should have been destroyed.

With proper coaching...

[ Edited by 49ersMan420 on Jul 10, 2011 at 4:54 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:

With proper coaching...

Hypothetically, Mark Zuckerberg could have a higher Wonderlic score than Alex. And, I hear he's an extremely hard worker. I say we go with Alex, Kaepernick and Zuckerberg this fall.
Share 49ersWebzone