LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 143 users in the forums

MOst hated Defensive player, since mark roman left?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Goldson, Clements or Haralson.

Haralson gets a decent amount of sacks but he is a liability against the run. He gets beat to the outside a lot and don't ask him to cover. He also got a decent deal and sort of fell off after it.

Clements mainly because of the money and yeah he gets beat a lot but he's great against the run. A lot of corners out there are bad at both. Clements has had a lot of nice games for us and has two blocked kicks for TDs. People expected lockdown and Nate thinks of himself as that and it not what he should be portraying or us thinking so. He will get about 45 of that 80 if we cut him but still at about 10 mil a year he is slightly above average and overpaid.

Goldson is decent against the run, he is getting better at tackling but in the past has given up a lot of big plays because he went for the big hit. He is also a liability in coverage and has given up some big catches at bad times. He's not bad for a fourth rounder and I hope the injury was holding him back last year because 1 pick won't get it done. If he thinks he is worth 40 million he can walk. I'd start Reggie and Taylor in a heartbeat... he shouldn't have much leverage besides being able to call plays in the huddle.

IMO these guys are all average to slightly above average. Problem is we have much higher standards than we did 5-7 years ago. If these guys where on our 2-14 team they would be the some if not the best players on it. If you want to take the next step and go from good defense to great you need great players not average. These guys would be welcomed on a lot of teams. Secondly, I don't really think it's one bad player. It's more like the secondary and a lot of the times they take turns having bad plays. One time it's Goldson, next it's Clements, next it's Haralson or Brown or Spencer.

Last year in some of the games I thought we would get killed in, our defense would step up huge. The players you listed though, at key times would falter and then the whole defensive effort would be lost.. Colts game the year before, saints game last year, falcons game last year, titans game.. etc..

OUr secondary is full of overachievers who think way too highly of themselves.
really don't hate but the most over-rated D-player is Harralson.

Toss Clements and him and use their salaries to pick up 2 contributors that would make a difference.
you can't compare anyone on our current team to mark roman
Clements got burned time after time last year especially when left on an island.
98 is not very good at all, 8 coverage sacks is his most productive year and the aint that good. what big play has he ever produced?? i know there are some other candidates but when haralason is 1v1 in open space i already know the outcome of that play
Originally posted by Allx9er:
98 is not very good at all, 8 coverage sacks is his most productive year and the aint that good. what big play has he ever produced?? i know there are some other candidates but when haralason is 1v1 in open space i already know the outcome of that play

Agreed. Haralson always seems to give up the edge on off tackle or outside runs to his side. I am unimpressed with his 8 sack year as well, as there have not been many sacks in under 3 seconds in his tenure here. It seems like every sack he has had as been the result of the QB running right into him. I don't like to say that I hate ANY 49er, but I don't even want to describe the frustration I felt watching dead legs Donovan McNabb outrun him to the edge.

Ahmad Brooks (remember him?) gets the silver medal for wasting so much talent by being a lazy fat boy trapped in a genetic freak's body. If we were nationally televied every week, he might become a player. Maybe Harbaugh reaches this kid, Singletary sure didn't.
Goldson. It practice he's a play maker. In the game he's a play allower.

Haralson. He gets beat up in the run, can't cover, and can't rush the passer. Hopefully Aldon Smith can take his spot.

Lawson is ok with me. He cannot rush the passer at all. He is good against the run and in coverage though.

Our safeties are bad. Real bad.

[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jun 25, 2011 at 10:28:29 ]
I think baalke is hoping that Nate will be serviceable for one more year, I nkow he drafted that college fs to play CB, but I believe he will end up at FS once goldson walks.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Patrick Wilis because he is selfish and makes all the tackles.
Originally posted by susweel:
Patrick Wilis because he is selfish and makes all the tackles.

Don't forget Justin Smith. No one will want to come play us anymore if he keeps making their O-linemen look like weak, uncoordinated children.

Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Haralson. Useless against the run and in coverage. Most of his sacks came from Lawson driving the QB right at him. Few times he missed too. Hopefully Aldon Smith can have more of a impact playing behind J.Smith than Haralson.

If you're going to be crediting someone else for Haralson's sacks, most of them were due to Justin Smith collapsing the line and allowing him a free route to the QB.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Haralson. Useless against the run and in coverage. Most of his sacks came from Lawson driving the QB right at him. Few times he missed too. Hopefully Aldon Smith can have more of a impact playing behind J.Smith than Haralson.

If you're going to be crediting someone else for Haralson's sacks, most of them were due to Justin Smith collapsing the line and allowing him a free route to the QB.

I have seen some of each and, as someone else stated, there were several coverage sacks as well. I think it's fair to agree that he wasn't doing much on his own.
Patrick Willis, hes so awesome he makes the rest of our LBs look not awesome
i know cj is special but i hate this kind of defensive execution.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d8140ff79/Chris-Johnson-Highlight-WK-09-vs-49ers-2009?r_src=ramp

[ Edited by keeferr75 on Jun 25, 2011 at 13:17:50 ]
Either Goldson or Haralson. They both suck balls.
Share 49ersWebzone