LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 298 users in the forums

Pick 1 of these FA's to keep.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Pick 1 of these FA's to keep.

Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Franklin, who does the thankless job of clogging up the middle.

We can afford to let Lawson go. Throw Laboy on the outside, mix in Brooks, and slowly let Aldon take over.

Put in Reggie Smith in place of Goldson, which is admittedly a band-aid, but it works for at least a year.

You do realize that Franklin would require us to break the bank right?

And so would Lawson. He will want a Bart Scott deal, and quite frankly he hasn't earned it.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

We can afford to let Lawson go. Throw Laboy on the outside, mix in Brooks, and slowly let Aldon take over.

Put in Reggie Smith in place of Goldson, which is admittedly a band-aid, but it works for at least a year.

And so would Lawson. He will want a Bart Scott deal, and quite frankly he hasn't earned it.

AB can you put some guess numbers behind the choices?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Gotta face facts... all three of these guys will want more money than they really deserve... and they'll probably get it.

Just remember that it isn't your money.

Now let the spending frenzy begin!
Franklin - Gone
Lawson - Gone
Goldson - Most Likely Gone

Goldson may not be able to get "paid" like he wants, and then signs a short contract with the 9ers. But I would say the highest probably would be all three guys walk.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Franklin - Gone
Lawson - Gone
Goldson - Most Likely Gone

Goldson may not be able to get "paid" like he wants, and then signs a short contract with the 9ers. But I would say the highest probably would be all three guys walk.

For the sake of argument, which team in the NFL is going to pay for Goldson?

I think his performance last season sunk his hopes of getting paid like he wanted.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I think Goldson will be the cheapest to keep.

Compared to other deals in past yrs, I see Franklin comanding in the area of $7M a yr or more, considering he was under the franchise tag in 2010 at 7M, I can see him taking less a yr, over a longer deal, say 5 yrs, but I wouldn't give him more than 3 yrs, so I think he is as good as gone.

Lawson, had been rumored to want in the area of $45M over 5yrs, similar to Bart Scott numbers, but his stats dont add up. Now I am not saying to just ignore re-signing him, cause of the 3 I would want Lawson back. But with the potential of getting a better deal on the open market, might be tempting to Manny.

Goldson has had 1 good season, and I think anything over 4.5M a yr is way to much, even at 4.5M i would be worried.

What has gotten me sick to my stomach is seeing Haralson, T.Brown, Snyder and Spencer get new deals, ranging from 8M all the way to 20M over 3-5 yrs. Is they had a good contract yr, then get the deal and their play is down. Which worries me about Aubrayo. He never was good before hand, he was average in Baltimore, played decent in SF, but after 2009 campaign, and getting tagged in 2010, he seemed to become a star all of a sudden.

Conclusion wise, I would sign Lawson, Goldson and then Franklin. But I have a funny feeling we may lose all 3. And personally I would rather give the money to Alex, TKO, Ray McDonald and Baas. And then say use the other money for a CB like Ike Taylor or Jonathan Joseph. And a vet QB like Bulger. Now if Lawson/Goldson/Aubrayo would take less than What i think they may demand, then id bring them back, but i doubt all 3 or even 2 of them will take a discount.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cwilson830:

True. I voted Franklin, but only for the right price.

This
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I think Goldson will be the cheapest to keep.

Compared to other deals in past yrs, I see Franklin comanding in the area of $7M a yr or more, considering he was under the franchise tag in 2010 at 7M, I can see him taking less a yr, over a longer deal, say 5 yrs, but I wouldn't give him more than 3 yrs, so I think he is as good as gone.

Lawson, had been rumored to want in the area of $45M over 5yrs, similar to Bart Scott numbers, but his stats dont add up. Now I am not saying to just ignore re-signing him, cause of the 3 I would want Lawson back. But with the potential of getting a better deal on the open market, might be tempting to Manny.

Goldson has had 1 good season, and I think anything over 4.5M a yr is way to much, even at 4.5M i would be worried.

What has gotten me sick to my stomach is seeing Haralson, T.Brown, Snyder and Spencer get new deals, ranging from 8M all the way to 20M over 3-5 yrs. Is they had a good contract yr, then get the deal and their play is down. Which worries me about Aubrayo. He never was good before hand, he was average in Baltimore, played decent in SF, but after 2009 campaign, and getting tagged in 2010, he seemed to become a star all of a sudden.

Conclusion wise, I would sign Lawson, Goldson and then Franklin. But I have a funny feeling we may lose all 3. And personally I would rather give the money to Alex, TKO, Ray McDonald and Baas. And then say use the other money for a CB like Ike Taylor or Jonathan Joseph. And a vet QB like Bulger. Now if Lawson/Goldson/Aubrayo would take less than What i think they may demand, then id bring them back, but i doubt all 3 or even 2 of them will take a discount.

Thanks!

We must be way under the cap.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Franklin for the right price.
Originally posted by Amir:
Franklin for the right price.

Franklin...and lets hope we're getting 09 Franklin and not 2010 Franklin

[ Edited by Hitman49 on Jun 21, 2011 at 18:55:47 ]

Considering cost, I would go with Goldson. Lawson will probably be overpaid for because he's a much more established player than Goldson, who has a lot of question marks. Franklin plays a pretty slim and unique position and someone will pay to have him. I believe we can deal with Soapoaga(sp?s) at NT and starting Mcdonald. We need to invest in a young NT the upcoming draft(s).

Not considering money, I would keep Lawson because he plays his position at a very above average level, except getting sacks. I really believe he has suffered more than anyone with our conservative and predictable style defense we have been running. I don't expect him to be great at getting sacks, but I think a change in philosophy and being used differently will do wonders for him. I honestly expect him to excel at another better coached team.

*Just to be clear, I don't consider myself to be a "Manny Lawson Apologist" HAHA*
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elhebrewhammer:

*Just to be clear, I don't consider myself to be a "Manny Lawson Apologist" HAHA*

Too late! You're forever marked now!

NC is gonna getcha!

Oh, yeah... I voted for Lawson.
i voted for lawson

soap can make a good NT and ray mac is a great pass rushing DE (we will still need some depth there)

and i want parys to see the field as little as possible lawson is also great in coverage and great in run

also i think he leads the league in almost sacks

id rather have lawson aldon smith and laboy as a 3 man wrecking crew at OLB
It all comes down to the money. I would want to pay Goldson out of that group. Not because he is my favorite player, but because the price should be right.

Paying Franklin would be way too high, and unfortunately, paying Lawson is going to be a little too high as well.
Manny Lawson is no secret. If a 4-3 team wants him, they will be able to offer him a huge contract to be an every-down OLB. Paying him the same money to be a part-time 3-4 OLB is not economical.
With the salary cap, you must get the most bang for the buck. We can't commit huge dollar's to an OLB who can't get to the quarterback consistently.

Manny Lawson is a great player, and he will be fantastic within a 4-3 team willing to pay him a giant contract.
lawson's only 26.

[ Edited by YungAce on Jun 21, 2011 at 19:57:20 ]
Share 49ersWebzone