There are 149 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Pick 1 of these FA's to keep.

Pick 1 of these FA's to keep.

IMO Ray McDonald, Takeo Spikes, David Baas and Alex Smith will all be 49ers this year so I am leaving them off the list. But the other 3 guys are going to have options and will explore them. Aubrayo Franklin is most likely gone, unless we shell out the big money. Goldson and Lawson are both going to be offered money from other clubs but I don't think they will be as in demand as Franklin, leaving them both with more of a chance to sign back with the 49ers.

If you had to pick one of the three, who and why?

I pick Manny Lawson. My reasons are the fact that we don't have a lot of talent at OLB after him. Aldon Smith needs time to learn and our other guys are situational players at best. Manny plays the run well, drops into coverage well, pressures the QB and in my opinion can get the sacks with the right defense.

Goldson has a ton of potential and even though he dropped off last year, he did call all the defensive signals and I am sure that had a lot to do with his drop off. I see him getting better, not worse. He could be a top 15 safety in the league if he improves on just a couple points of his game. I would love to see us resign him if the price is right.

Franklin would be nice but honestly, the Redskins or someone will pay him some absurd contract and I don't see us even giving him a second look and our defensive line does have a lot of depth.
ManLaw
Franklin, who does the thankless job of clogging up the middle.

We can afford to let Lawson go. Throw Laboy on the outside, mix in Brooks, and slowly let Aldon take over.

Put in Reggie Smith in place of Goldson, which is admittedly a band-aid, but it works for at least a year.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

We can afford to let Lawson go. Throw Laboy on the outside, mix in Brooks, and slowly let Aldon take over.

Put in Reggie Smith in place of Goldson, which is admittedly a band-aid, but it works for at least a year.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

You do realize that Franklin would require us to break the bank right?
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chief:

Smith2Davis'd

True. I voted Franklin, but only for the right price.
None of them are leaders. You don't need talent to win, you need leadership.

Release them all.
Originally posted by LeadershipYes:
None of them are leaders. You don't need talent to win, you need leadership.

Release them all.

Of course you need talent to win. Coaching and talent are more important to winning than leadership is.
Also what makes none of them leaders? You dont have to be seen yelling at other players and getting in their faces to be a leader.
Originally posted by cwilson830:

True. I voted Franklin, but only for the right price.
"Pick 1 of these FA's to keep"

No.
I believe Franklin makes a bigger impact for our defense than Goldson or Lawson so I voted for him. It's gonna be pricey, but I'm hoping he won't receive any offers similar to what a guy like Vince Wilfork got ( 5 years, $40 million, $25 million guaranteed ). Vince is a Pro Bowler and All-Pro, Franklin doesn't have any Pro Bowls on his resume. A team like the Redskins or Texans might get desperate and break the bank for him.

[ Edited by SofaKing on Jun 21, 2011 at 15:02:47 ]
If either were willing to take a 1 year deal for 4-5 million, then sign me up for Franklin first.... then Manny.

I'd rather sign Manny to a long-term deal over Franklin though. I see "injuries" and lackadaisical play in Franklin's future, if he signs a monster deal.

Where else are we spending that money anyway? I see your point though.

If he can be replaced, that's fine. But do you think Soap or RJF can do the same job?
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I believe Franklin makes a bigger impact for our defense than Goldson or Lawson so I voted for him. It's gonna be pricey, but I'm hoping he won't receive any offers similar to what a guy like Vince Wilfork got ( 5 years, $40 million, $25 million guaranteed ). Vince is a Pro Bowler and All-Pro, Franklin doesn't have any Pro Bowls on his resume. A team like the Redskins or Texans might get desperate and break the bank for him.

I don't think there is any question about that. However, which Franklin will show up after the big pay day. The guy has been in the league for 7 years I think. And out of those 7 years he's only produced at a high level 1.5 years.