This formula for best OL is so flawed

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FreddyG:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I like the fact that some of the o-lineman have dropped their weight down this off-season. I know Staley and Snyder have dropped down from 320-325 to around 300. It might allow them to be more nimble on their feet and quicker off the snap.

I'm also hoping that we make more of an effort to establish the passing game early. Get our offense in a rhythm, put up some points, and protect the lead with the run game late.

or it might allow the defense to get more push on an already weak line

Nah...

IMO, both players were better when they played at a lighter weight. Snyder went from a sluggish swing G/T to a pure guard. Staley played better his rookie and sophomore years, then he seemed off balance to me and injuries started.

I can only see positive things from the lost weight. Prime among them is that it signals a change in philosophy.

what kinda running plays would you want your line-men to be light for? pulling trapping?

Firstly, they aren't light... they're average.

Second, zone blocking schemes utilize smaller more athletic linemen. Solari is a zone scheme guy, IIRC. I don't know as much about blocking schemes as I'd like, so I won't pretend to know more than what I've heard.

Lastly, it isn't all about the running game. You need balance in your offense. We were built to be one dimensional and linemen losing weight is a sign to me that we will be utilizing a more balanced scheme. Positive.

3 words......... ANTHONY DAVIS BUST! (yes, already)
Originally posted by AlexIsClass:
We have the worst line in the NFL. Alex is constantly running for his life and/or having to throw the ball before he wants to. When's the last time Alex has gotten a good 8-10 seconds to throw the ball?

Is it any wonder he has only been occasionally brilliant as opposed to consistently great? Get him a halfway decent line and he's in the Pro Bowl every year. Oh yeah, and a decent supporting cast that doesn't all have the dropsies.

8-10 seconds, pass over whatever you are smoking.... The average qb gets 2.4 seconds to throw. This is WHY alex looks so bad, he holds onto the ball for 4-8 seconds, too long. Manning gets it out in record time.

" The key for a quarterback to do that is to get a lot of time or enough time to throw. Now, in the NFL, the average amount of time a quarterback has to throw the ball is 2.4 seconds - not a lot. So, what the line has to do -what the guys in front of him have to do - is hold their blocks for that time or longer
Originally posted by asyouwere:

Rookie year = the best he can possibly be

He is in better shape and has a full season under his belt. Honestly, he is not as much of a concern as RG. If Snyder can man the ship, then the O-line should be serviceable this year, with a really high ceiling in a few years.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

He is in better shape and has a full season under his belt. Honestly, he is not as much of a concern as RG. If Snyder can man the ship, then the O-line should be serviceable this year, with a really high ceiling in a few years.

from what...tweeting?
Originally posted by 9erred:
We have the worst line in the NFL. Alex is constantly running for his life and/or having to throw the ball before he wants to. When's the last time Alex has gotten a good 8-10 seconds to throw the ball?

Is it any wonder he has only been occasionally brilliant as opposed to consistently great? Get him a halfway decent line and he's in the Pro Bowl every year. Oh yeah, and a decent supporting cast that doesn't all have the dropsies.

8-10 seconds, pass over whatever you are smoking.... The average qb gets 2.4 seconds to throw. This is WHY alex looks so bad, he holds onto the ball for 4-8 seconds, too long. Manning gets it out in record time.

" The key for a quarterback to do that is to get a lot of time or enough time to throw. Now, in the NFL, the average amount of time a quarterback has to throw the ball is 2.4 seconds - not a lot. So, what the line has to do -what the guys in front of him have to do - is hold their blocks for that time or longer

You just made that stat up.

When I watch other NFL quarterbacks, I see them getting 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 seconds to throw.

When I watch other NFL quarterbacks, I see them getting 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 seconds to throw.

Really??? On the average???

Show me.

. . . oh mercy . . . that's funny!
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

. . . oh mercy . . . that's funny!

A link for the person who thinks qb's get 8-12 seconds. Happy Reading.

Hopefully we can get our big guys some help.

Gore, VD, and Crab should take the pressure off the line. The WCO should allow whoever is in at QB to get the ball out ASAP.

When the line does hold up, the QB has to make an accurate read and pass because there won't be that many opportunities.

A link for the person who thinks qb's get 8-12 seconds. Happy Reading.

no one gets 8 to 10 seconds but ive seen most qbs (on top teams) sit in the pocket for about 4 to 5 seconds on average we get about 3 seconds before pocket collapses

i like your optimism in the matter, so i cant knock you for that! but he was ranked dead last in the league last year in pass protection, and really showed no signs of ever amounting to anything but a rg's version of jamarcus russell. rookies like p. willis, sam bradford, p manning, a peterson, c johnson etc all show right off the bat that they have something special. thats why theyre nfl super stars. but at least we got upati, so 1 out of 2 aint bad. i just pray we dont have to go another 7 years like we did with alex smith. uggghhh!

from what...tweeting?

considering he finished dead last by a mile in pass protection, id rather have him tweet for us than pass protect a guy who already cant hit the target if it was that football arcade game at chuck e cheese, even if he had a minute to throw it.(alex smith) bring in barry simms. he actually ranked top 15
Originally posted by kidash:

Really??? On the average???

Show me.

Don't feed the troll, lol.
Share 49ersWebzone