LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

This formula for best OL is so flawed

Shop Find 49ers gear online
While statistics show trends it can also be skewed pretty easily to show different players... you guys honestly think this is the first formula they came up with? Highly unlikely. They probably kept adding and taking away different items till it showed who they think are the top offensive tackle in the league and then made their assumptions from there.

It's way too early to jump on A. Davis, he was a rookie playing next to the worst person on the line and was thrown into the fire. If we wanted to field the best line last year it would of been Sims/Iupati/Baas/Snyder/Staley from the start. But the one thing Sing did right was try to prepare for the future. A. Davis has a year under his belt, he knows the speed of the game and he knows what to expect from the loudest fields in the NFL. He's revamped his body and is now conditioning at an NFL level, form your judgments this year.

Also you can tell there are flaws in this list because VD and Gore also rank near the bottom in pass protection categories and we all know that ain't true. VD has consistently shut down opponents top pass rushers when asked to, and Gore knocks the spit out of anyone blitzing for the QB. As with all statistics, they are meant to add to an argument not to be the basis of one. There is no statistic that takes into account the offensive mastermind who came up with run, run, 3rd & long pass, punt.
Originally posted by 5280High:
While statistics show trends it can also be skewed pretty easily to show different players... you guys honestly think this is the first formula they came up with? Highly unlikely. They probably kept adding and taking away different items till it showed who they think are the top offensive tackle in the league and then made their assumptions from there.

It's way too early to jump on A. Davis, he was a rookie playing next to the worst person on the line and was thrown into the fire. If we wanted to field the best line last year it would of been Sims/Iupati/Baas/Snyder/Staley from the start. But the one thing Sing did right was try to prepare for the future. A. Davis has a year under his belt, he knows the speed of the game and he knows what to expect from the loudest fields in the NFL. He's revamped his body and is now conditioning at an NFL level, form your judgments this year.

Also you can tell there are flaws in this list because VD and Gore also rank near the bottom in pass protection categories and we all know that ain't true. VD has consistently shut down opponents top pass rushers when asked to, and Gore knocks the spit out of anyone blitzing for the QB. As with all statistics, they are meant to add to an argument not to be the basis of one. There is no statistic that takes into account the offensive mastermind who came up with run, run, 3rd & long pass, punt.

Why are you guys complaining so much about this "formula." It's not like the author is claiming its an end all be all formula that we should all adhere too. Also, he makes it very clear that he agrees a major problem was actually the predictability of the offense as well.

Since rival defenses were able to load up against the run in 2010 while opposing a predictable offensive pattern, the 49ers often faced defenses that had a good idea what was coming on passing downs. The results show that the 49ers struggled almost to a man in these circumstances.
Truth be told the line was bad. However the analysis formula is flawed. While Davis was bad, someof it is because of Rachal. Also wasn't as good as the formula says. While the writer acknowledges the offensive system was predictable, it does not figure into the formula, which it can't be. Or the QB play.
It's a measurement to compare with other O-lines throughout the league and no formula developed to take into consideration schemes and coaching.

It shouldn't be seen as a complete analysis, but only a way of viewing the issues the Niners faced. No one could argue that the Niners didn't get good push in the running game and struggled in the passing game. The formula shows that. The formula does not show why and I doubt the inventor ever intended it to show why.
We have the worst line in the NFL. Alex is constantly running for his life and/or having to throw the ball before he wants to. When's the last time Alex has gotten a good 8-10 seconds to throw the ball?

Is it any wonder he has only been occasionally brilliant as opposed to consistently great? Get him a halfway decent line and he's in the Pro Bowl every year. Oh yeah, and a decent supporting cast that doesn't all have the dropsies.
Would settle for 3 seconds of pass protection and a fairly unmolested pocket for throwing lanes and less batted passes.
Alex Smith makes our O-line look worse than it really is because he holds the ball for too long.
I like the fact that some of the o-lineman have dropped their weight down this off-season. I know Staley and Snyder have dropped down from 320-325 to around 300. It might allow them to be more nimble on their feet and quicker off the snap.

I'm also hoping that we make more of an effort to establish the passing game early. Get our offense in a rhythm, put up some points, and protect the lead with the run game late.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I like the fact that some of the o-lineman have dropped their weight down this off-season. I know Staley and Snyder have dropped down from 320-325 to around 300. It might allow them to be more nimble on their feet and quicker off the snap.

I'm also hoping that we make more of an effort to establish the passing game early. Get our offense in a rhythm, put up some points, and protect the lead with the run game late.

or it might allow the defense to get more push on an already weak line

Originally posted by FreddyG:

Other teams got great push and penetrated the backfield because of the predictability of our offense. All of our lineman were 320+. Their brute strength really was not the issue, it was Singletary's "we WILL run the ball" philosophy that had us running into a brick wall. That crap won't fly in today's NFL.

Other teams got great push and penetrated the backfield because of the predictability of our offense. All of our lineman were 320+. Their brute strength really was not the issue, it was Singletary's "we WILL run the ball" philosophy that had us running into a brick wall. That crap won't fly in today's NFL.

Im with you on that but JH likes to run the ball a lot too and I dont want our guys getting pushed around.

Im with you on that but JH likes to run the ball a lot too and I dont want our guys getting pushed around.

I hear you. I have no idea what this offense is going to look like week 1. I just think it's interesting that some of our lineman lost so much weight.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Nah...

IMO, both players were better when they played at a lighter weight. Snyder went from a sluggish swing G/T to a pure guard. Staley played better his rookie and sophomore years, then he seemed off balance to me and injuries started.

I can only see positive things from the lost weight. Prime among them is that it signals a change in philosophy.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Nah...

IMO, both players were better when they played at a lighter weight. Snyder went from a sluggish swing G/T to a pure guard. Staley played better his rookie and sophomore years, then he seemed off balance to me and injuries started.

I can only see positive things from the lost weight. Prime among them is that it signals a change in philosophy.

what kinda running plays would you want your line-men to be light for? pulling trapping?
Share 49ersWebzone