There are 87 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers 2011 Roster/Depth Chart Predictions

Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Yeah, Goodell passed out his 'spankings' today (all of them), and Edwards wasn't anywhere near the consideration of suspension.

-Edwards is definitely our starting Flanker next Sunday, and there's a good chance Crabtree's been ready to play for almost 2 weeks (but we've been hiding him), and he could start at Split-End.

Maybe, but I'll be very surprised if he sees more than 5-7 snaps during the game. He'll be rusty as hell, have no timing with his QB, and probably be favoring his foot, even if it's supposedly fully healed.

Don't see him playing as a starter with the limited practice he's had, but hope he is totally healed and ready to go.
I'm worried about having Crabtree out on the field with that foot so soon, after a second stress fracture in it. For our sake, we need him to be fully healed, because Morgan and Ginn won't cut it as #2's.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I'm worried about having Crabtree out on the field with that foot so soon, after a second stress fracture in it. For our sake, we need him to be fully healed, because Morgan and Ginn won't cut it as #2's.

I share your worries about Crabtree.

My worry is that two stress fractures on the same foot might be an indication of ongoing chronic problem.
If this becomes a chronic problem, it might curtail his career.

I am not a doctor and have no medical training so my concern has no real basis, but nevertheless I remain concerned.
Originally posted by buck:

My worry is that two stress fractures on the same foot might be an indication of ongoing chronic problem.

I am not a doctor and have no medical training so my concern has no real basis, but nevertheless I remain concerned.

My guess is it depends where the fracture is. I mean, I understand it is only a hairline fracture, but they've got to find a way to successfully prevent it. From what I understand, stress fractures are very preventable.
  • buck
  • Veteran

My guess is it depends where the fracture is. I mean, I understand it is only a hairline fracture, but they've got to find a way to successfully prevent it. From what I understand, stress fractures are very preventable.

i hope that you are right.

I have heard they are caused when the muscles fatigue and no longer able to relieve the pressure on the foot. The pressure goes to bone and the stress on the bones causes hairline fractures.
I don't think Crabtree will be 100% ready to play Week 1, mainly because of his lack of chemistry and reps in the offense. I still think he'll get significant playing time, not just 5-7 reps like someone else predicted. I bet he will be used as a slot receiver with Edwards and Morgan starting. I am not too worried about not having Crabtree fully ready because it's the Seahawks and IMO, Braylon, Morgan, Ginn, VD, and Walker make for a solid crew if Alex has time. However, we will need Crabtree in the starting line up after Week 1, as things will start to get more difficult against the Cowboys and week 4 vs the Eagles.
I saw Grant Cohn mention that he thinks Kyle Williams will usurp Morgan and Ginn for the slot receiver spot by the end of the year. That's pretty impressive! And that means we have a big-body receiving #1, a good route runner/crisp #2, and a quick, small #3 .

The receiving position will be an interesting story throughout the year.
Damn, 49ers didn't even offer RoJo a spot on the PS lol
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I saw Grant Cohn mention that he thinks Kyle Williams will usurp Morgan and Ginn for the slot receiver spot by the end of the year. That's pretty impressive! And that means we have a big-body receiving #1, a good route runner/crisp #2, and a quick, small #3 .

The receiving position will be an interesting story throughout the year.

This.

I am excited to see how everything plays out. And I agree with everyone on the concern for Crabtree's foot. Why not just let him sit until it is fully healed...? Why rush him back?

i hope that you are right.

I have heard they are caused when the muscles fatigue and no longer able to relieve the pressure on the foot. The pressure goes to bone and the stress on the bones causes hairline fractures.

Bill Walton was the poster athlete for foot fractures and it really hindered his career. I agree with both of you that it's more important for him to heal properly than get on the field right away. He no doubt feels pressure after the past three years but I hope Harbaugh will be smarter than Nolan was with Smith and not apply extra pressure.