There are 322 users in the forums

49ers 2011 Roster/Depth Chart Predictions

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Here's my current take through the Raider game . . .

OFFENSE (25)
QB (3): A.Smith, C. Kaepernick, J. McCown
RB (4): F.Gore, K. Hunter, A. Dixon, B.Miller (FB)
WR (6): B.Edwards, M.Crabtree, J.Morgan, T. Ginn, K. Williams, R. Johnson
TE (3): V.Davis, D.Walker, K. Reuhland
OT (4): J.Staley, A. Davis, A. Boone, A.Snyder (C/OG/OT)
OG (4): M.Lupati, C.Rachal, D.Kilgore, Wragge
C (1): J.Goodwin

DEFENSE (25)
DL (6): J.Smith, R.McDonald, I.Sopoaga, R.Jean-Francois, D.Dobbs, W.Tukuafu
OLB (4): A.Brooks, P. Haralson, A. Smith, A. Applewhite
ILB (4): P.Willis, N.Bowman, L.Grant, B. Costanzo
CB (6): C.Rogers, S.Spencer, C.Culliver, T.Brock, T. Brown, P. Adams
S (5): D.Whitner, D.Goldson, R.Smith, M. Williams, C.Spillman

SPECIAL TEAMS (3)
K: D.Akers
P: A.Lee
LS: B.Jennings

PRACTICE SQUAD
I. Williams - DT
M. Person - OT/OG
K. Kristick - ILB
M. Person - OG/OT
C. Jones - SS
P. Davis - CB
K. Jurovich - WR
J. Masoli - QB/RB

I agree 100%. EXCEPT, I don't think Ian Williams will make it to the practice squad??

How about switching Ian Williams for Ronald Johnson? I agree that Ian Williams will be snatched up by someone else.

I'd have no problem with that. Now that you mention it NT's are a lot harder to find than 5th or 6th WR's. With Vernon and Walker we pretty much have two extra WR's when we need them.

Plus from everything I've ready, Kyle Williams has a unique skill set, where RonJon looks like a poor-mans Josh Morgan

Typically, the Niners have exactly 25 on both offense and defense. You might see Ian Williams for Philips Adams. But based on playing time against Oakland, I believe Lance Long is the favorite over Ronald Johnson.
Updated prediction:

Offense

QB - Smith, Kaepernick, McCown
RB - Gore, Dixon, Hunter, M.Norris (FB)
TE - Davis, Walker, Bruce Miller (TE/FB/H-Back)
WR - Edwards, Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn, Williams
OL - Staley, Boone, Iupati, Goodwin, Kilgore, Wragge, Snyder, Rachal, Davis

Defense
DL - McDonald, J.Smith, Sopoaga, Jean-Francois, Dobbs, Tukuafu
OLB - Brooks, Aldon, Haralson, Applewhite
ILB - Willis, Bowman, Grant, Costanzo
CB - Rogers, Spencer, Brown, Brock, Culliver, Adams
FS - Goldson, Madieu Williams, Spillman
SS - Whitner, Reggie Smith

Special Teams
Akers, Lee, Jennings

PRACTICE SQUAD:
DL Ian Williams
OL Mike Person
TE Konrad Reuland
SS Colin Jones
WR Ronald Johnson
CB Phillip Davis
LB Monte Simmons
WR Tyler Beiler

--------------------------

Now I have 52 on the roster, because I think they are waiting until the regular season to put Byham on IR. I believe it has to do with waivers. If we put him on IR now, he can be snatched by another team.
I'm really hoping we keep the 6 cb's like you guys are predicting. Would hate to see either Brock or Adams leave.
I think Konrad Reuland makes the 53 man roster as the 3rd TE.
Originally posted by comeatmebrah:
I'm really hoping we keep the 6 cb's like you guys are predicting. Would hate to see either Brock or Adams leave.

I'm hoping the depth chart is:

Starters: Rogers, Spencer
Nickel: Brock
Dime: Brown, Culliver, Adams
Quarter: Culliver, Adams

Why Brock over Brown? Brown got torched by Andre Johnson -- Then they sent out Brock and he was actually able to cover him more often than not.
Originally posted by PTulini:
I think Konrad Reuland makes the 53 man roster as the 3rd TE.

It is possible. I think it'll be a tough choice -- they may try to release and re-sign him after putting Byham on IR. But I don't think he's a HUGE risk to be signed to another team's ACTIVE roster, so trying such a move would not be all that farfetched.

I do agree we will try and keep him on this team in some form. If he's not on the 53-man, he'll be on the PS for sure (assuming he clears waivers).
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 28, 2011 at 11:38 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Why Brock over Brown? Brown got torched by Andre Johnson -- Then they sent out Brock and he was actually able to cover him more often than not.

Honestly Brown can get cut and I wont really care, the kid is mediocre at best.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Honestly, I wouldn't shed a tear over his departure either. Brock, Culliver, and Adams have way more upside -- with Brock already being ahead of Brown in my mind as far as performance during this off-season/pre-season.

Honestly, I wouldn't shed a tear over his departure either. Brock, Culliver, and Adams have way more upside -- with Brock already being ahead of Brown in my mind as far as performance during this off-season/pre-season.

Do you see Adams making a stronger comeback next year because of the injury...or is this it for him?
  • Silky
  • Veteran
For some reason while I was looking through your defense depth chart I said Ronald McDonald in my head

Do you see Adams making a stronger comeback next year because of the injury...or is this it for him?

Hopefully he has shown he's pretty much gotten his strength back. I think as the season moves along -- if he makes the team -- he'll show more and more that he's got his legs fully back. Experience will help him for next year, but I expect us to try to draft a #1 corner within the first few rounds.

Hopefully he has shown he's pretty much gotten his strength back. I think as the season moves along -- if he makes the team -- he'll show more and more that he's got his legs fully back. Experience will help him for next year, but I expect us to try to draft a #1 corner within the first few rounds.

CB better be #1 as of now
Updated prediction:

Offense

QB - Smith, Kaepernick, McCown
RB - Gore, Dixon, Hunter, M.Norris (FB)
TE - Davis, Walker, Bruce Miller (TE/FB/H-Back)
WR - Edwards, Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn, Williams
OL - Staley, Boone, Iupati, Goodwin, Kilgore, Wragge, Snyder, Rachal, Davis

Defense
DL - McDonald, J.Smith, Sopoaga, Jean-Francois, Dobbs, Tukuafu
OLB - Brooks, Aldon, Haralson, Applewhite
ILB - Willis, Bowman, Grant, Costanzo
CB - Rogers, Spencer, Brown, Brock, Culliver, Adams
FS - Goldson, Madieu Williams, Spillman
SS - Whitner, Reggie Smith

Special Teams
Akers, Lee, Jennings

PRACTICE SQUAD:
DL Ian Williams
OL Mike Person
TE Konrad Reuland
SS Colin Jones
WR Ronald Johnson
CB Phillip Davis
LB Monte Simmons
WR Tyler Beiler

--------------------------

Now I have 52 on the roster, because I think they are waiting until the regular season to put Byham on IR. I believe it has to do with waivers. If we put him on IR now, he can be snatched by another team.

Awesome OTC, perfect. I would add Ian Williams, but if not no biggie.

And yes, we need to wait till final cuts and then we can put Byham on IR, Bogan and Holcomb were waived and past waivers thus going to IR.

while we save very little this yr, and nothing next, I am all for cutting Brown.

He is beaten all the time.

Personally our 4 best are, Rogers, Spencer, Brock and Culliver.

Adams and Brown IMO are fighting for a spot. But i can see like OTCs roster, all 6 making it.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Awesome OTC, perfect. I would add Ian Williams, but if not no biggie.

And yes, we need to wait till final cuts and then we can put Byham on IR, Bogan and Holcomb were waived and past waivers thus going to IR.

Here's why I think Dobbs makes it over Williams (in addition to the fact that he's stood out more). In pass-rushing situations, we already have 4 DT, so we have plenty of depth there and that's not Ian Williams strong suit anyway. However, when we move our best DT's inside in the nickel, we don't have much else on the outside. However, with Dobbs we can have this look for the 4-man front:

Dobbs - McDonald - Justin Smith - Aldon Smith
Share 49ersWebzone