LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 389 users in the forums

49ers 2011 Roster/Depth Chart Predictions

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • ttime
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
The last several seasons we have lost the X's & O's battle due to incompetent coaching that couldn't game plan or make adjustments. I like our chances in this area with the Harbaugh staff.

We also have built a roster that looks better on paper, IMO

We'll see... Starting next week.

I totally agree Dave,in fact I think the biggest upgrade is that we have a coach that understands offense and QB's which is something we should have had when we decided to draft a project qb with the #1 pick.

I agree with the both of you here. Playing well vs the Saints and Eagles; but getting blown out by Seattle and KC made no sense at all. That type of inconsistency had to be attributed in significant part to coaching. The new coaching staff is very experienced, talented and hopefully creative and insightful enough to produce.
Originally posted by ttime:
The last several seasons we have lost the X's & O's battle due to incompetent coaching that couldn't game plan or make adjustments. I like our chances in this area with the Harbaugh staff.

I totally agree Dave,in fact I think the biggest upgrade is that we have a coach that understands offense and QB's which is something we should have had when we decided to draft a project qb with the #1 pick.

I agree with the both of you here. Playing well vs the Saints and Eagles; but getting blown out by Seattle and KC made no sense at all. That type of inconsistency had to be attributed in significant part to coaching. The new coaching staff is very experienced, talented and hopefully creative and insightful enough to produce.

I think a lot of this has to do with poor coaching staff last year, we didn't play to win, we played to survive. Thats why i didn't like Sing, he needed to be more aggressive.
  • ttime
Originally posted by Derek23:

I think a lot of this has to do with poor coaching staff last year, we didn't play to win, we played to survive. Thats why i didn't like Sing, he needed to be more aggressive.

That is a perfect example!!!!
Originally posted by Derek23:

That is a perfect example!!!!

Playing to survive and playing *not* to lose is the worst thing teams can do. Simply, it's the most frustrating thing to watch as a fan. Hopefully Harbaugh makes the most impact in this area the fastest.

I remember b***hing about Mariucci being so conservative, but Singletary took that to a whole different level.

Hopefully we can maintain a higher level of success just by improving the coaching staff, because *most* of the team failures over the past couple of years can be placed on the coaching staff.....Well at least that's what I saw when I "broke down the film"...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
My Sleeper to make the 53 man roster:

Watch #95

Quote:

“At this point, an undrafted rookie you can almost put in three phases: No.1, this guy’s got no chance, No. 2, this guy’s got a chance or No. 3, we might have found something here,” Fangio said. “He’s got a chance.”

Link

The thing I love about this guy, if you watch, is he NEVER gets pushed backwards. Not once did I see him get plowed through. He's a wall out there, and at worst he's holding his ground. He's a great developmental NT. Definitely not a penetrator-type DT, and his burst off the line is not all that consistent because that is simply not his strong suit, nor what his role typically was at Notre Dame, but I think he has a chance to earn a DL spot. At worst, he should make the PS.

guys like him can be tough to hide on the practice squad, eventually someone would pick him up

I was just gonna post that, but your right, there's no way we can hide him on the PS. I picture it looking like this:

LDE - Ray Mac, Tukuafu

NT - Sopoaga, Ian Williams

RDE - Smith, RJF

I'm willing to bet Ian Williams gets snatched up the second hes waived (cross my fingers hes not though). Especially if he caught the eye of Fangio.
Yeah, no way we can put Williams on the PS. He will be gone if he gets put there. Unless we sign another DE/NT he is probably safe for NT backup. RJF can go back to DE backup.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Yeah, no way we can put Williams on the PS. He will be gone if he gets put there. Unless we sign another DE/NT he is probably safe for NT backup. RJF can go back to DE backup.

We hear things like this every year.. Williams has yet to even step foot on the freaking field to play a game. Can we all settle down and wait a little bit?

Not only do you have to consider Williams' game play, but you have to consider that when final cuts are made, other teams will be trying to get their own guys on their own practice squads, as well as looking at a PLETHORA of other players that are likely to be better than Williams, to add either to their active roster or PS.

Unless Williams is a MONSTER in the pre-season, it is highly unlikely that someone plucks him off waivers to add to their active roster. If he's not good enough to make our team, with our poor DL depth to begin with, that would make me believe even less that after sifting through the scraps, some other team would add him to their active roster, preventing us from putting him on our PS.

Not only do you have to consider Williams' game play, but you have to consider that when final cuts are made, other teams will be trying to get their own guys on their own practice squads, as well as looking at a PLETHORA of other players that are likely to be better than Williams, to add either to their active roster or PS.

Unless Williams is a MONSTER in the pre-season, it is highly unlikely that someone plucks him off waivers to add to their active roster. If he's not good enough to make our team, with our poor DL depth to begin with, that would make me believe even less that after sifting through the scraps, some other team would add him to their active roster, preventing us from putting him on our PS.

I respect your opinion OTC but you know he was one of the top UDFAs out there. He had other offers... think like 5 teams wanted him. If we use a spot for a backup NT only guy he has to beat out is RJF who should probably stick to DE anyways. You are right though if he can't make it on our team with the backup DL we have that's not good. Even then don't see why one of those other 4 teams wouldn't take a look at him. You could be right though... we have had Kory Sheets, Thomas Clayton and Nate Davis as our pre-season heroes that we all became outraged that they didn't make the team. They probably weren't as good as everyone thought but you never know since none of them started a regular season game for us.
Our WR depth is really impressive this year, usually we cannot find enough f**king WRs talented enough to fill any spots (cause they couldn't meet Sing's 'run-blocking' pleasures).
My best pre-preseason games guess:

QB: A Smith, Kaepernick
RB: Gore, Dixon, Hunter
FB: Norris, Miller
WR: Crabtree, B Edwards, Morgan, Ginn, R Johnson, Zeigler
OL: Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Rachal, A Davis, Snyder, Wragge, Boone, Kilgore

DL: J Smith, Sopoaga, McDonald, Jean Francois, I Williams, Tukuafu
ILB: Willis, Bowman, McKillop, Grant
OLB: Haralson, A Smith, Brooks, Applewhite, Gibson
CB: Spencer, Rogers, P Adams, T Brown, Culliver
S: R Smith, Whitner, M Williams, Spillman, Mays

K: Aikers
P: Lee
LS: Jennings

Extra Spots: K Williams, C Taylor, C Beeler

Usually, I have a pretty hard time figuring out how to get all the players I like onto a 53 man roster. This year it's not that hard, which makes me a little worried about the quality of our roster. And certainly, some of these positions that look a little thin, like QB and DL. So I would not be surprised if some of those "extra spots" are taken up a third QB and a 7th D lineman.

Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

Usually, I have a pretty hard time figuring out how to get all the players I like onto a 53 man roster. This year it's not that hard, which makes me a little worried about the quality of our roster. And certainly, some of these positions that look a little thin, like QB and DL. So I would not be surprised if some of those "extra spots" are taken up a third QB and a 7th D lineman.

How is Ziegler going to make the team if his torn ACL isn't even healed enough for him to participate in a single pre-season game?

I am completely dumbfounded and absolutely astonished when I see his name posted here in some peoples' depth chart predictions.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 6, 2011 at 3:46 PM ]

How is Ziegler going to make the team if his torn ACL isn't even healed enough for him to participate in a single pre-season game?

I am completely dumbfounded and absolutely astonished when I see his name posted here in some peoples' depth chart predictions.

Is he not back and healthy?

Well, obviously if he's not healthy then I'm wrong on that one.

I put him there because I figured we might be starting the season without Crabtree or Edwards. And with them out, Zeigler becomes out 3rd most experienced WR.

But if he's not ready to play then he's probably not making the team....

Is he not back and healthy?

Well, obviously if he's not healthy then I'm wrong on that one.

I put him there because I figured we might be starting the season without Crabtree or Edwards. And with them out, Zeigler becomes out 3rd most experienced WR.

Zeigler is on the PUP with the Torn ACL.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Gore_21:

We hear things like this every year.. Williams has yet to even step foot on the freaking field to play a game. Can we all settle down and wait a little bit?

I'm not just hyping him up just because hes any ole DT. I'm just basing my opinion off of the few times I was able to watch him, and his performance at the Senior Bowl. The NT is a tough position to learn and takes time to develop there, unless of course your Vince Wilfork or Casey Hampton. But even if he shows that he can stand his ground without racking up stats, I still feel he'll be picked up once waived. If healthy I think he would be a real good future replacement at the NT position. Stout NT aren't easy to find either as you could see he does play with some pretty good leverage.

So far he is on the PUP, not sure if he will be back in time for any of the pre-season. Even if he is that still puts him a lot of practices behind everyone else. He's had I think 4 years here and he's hanging on by a thread. It's time for new blood. If we didn't have good depth or so much promise at WR then I say potentially keep him and wait it out. It's not like 04 anymore though. We have 3 starters... Ronald Johnson has shown promise, going to be tough to get rid of Ginn Jr and then we got some unknowns in Kyle Williams and Kevin Jurovich. We have 7 guys who could make the roster but we will only keep 5/6. Zeigler is in a hole but like someone said we should cut him early and let him have a chance somewhere else. Still tough for him to do that being injured.
Share 49ersWebzone