LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 332 users in the forums

Delanie Walker making a position change

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I hope he doesn't make the change and just stays as an H-Back. He's real lumbering and I doubt losing a few pounds is going to make that much of a difference.

He is not an effective blocker either way and teams have began to put a FS or Nickle CB on him. So why not let him have a better advantage as a receiver?

Heck, why not. I'm sure he can beat out Ziegler or something. I'm saying Zieglar because he still will not be 100%, coming off that ACL tear.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Well, this certainly puts a wrinkle in the idea we all had about Harbaugh and his offense. Shows what we know.

It'll be interesting to see it in action.

I have a feeling Byham will be good for us as he has shown he can also catch. Also, unlike our other idiot coaches who felt having Vernon mostly block was a great idea, JH probably wants to use his ability as a pass catcher more and less as a blocker.

We will still use a 12 package but it will be a Big 12 package on passing downs. If Delanie is successful, then we can have Byham and Vernon as the tight ends with Delanie as a WR.

That would be prime for passing and very solid for running.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Well, this certainly puts a wrinkle in the idea we all had about Harbaugh and his offense. Shows what we know.

It'll be interesting to see it in action.

I have a feeling Byham will be good for us as he has shown he can also catch. Also, unlike our other idiot coaches who felt having Vernon mostly block was a great idea, JH probably wants to use his ability as a pass catcher more and less as a blocker.

We will still use a 12 package but it will be a Big 12 package on passing downs. If Delanie is successful, then we can have Byham and Vernon as the tight ends with Delanie as a WR.

That would be prime for passing and very solid for running.

Byham can catch, he just can't run. He's pretty damn slow. He could be like Eric Johnson, but can block, lulz.

I like the formation, very good mismatch. Now all we nee to do is wait and see if there's going to be a season and if there is one, if they use the formation.

I'm tired of teh lockoutz.
Delanie was a terrible TE. I get upset that the Niners have not drafted a pass catching TE to back uip VD once they got Delanie. Delanie is the worst KR/PR and to me a waste of a roster spot.

He is a webzone favorite, but I think if the team wants to move forward, Delanie is not part of the plan.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
Delanie was a terrible TE. I get upset that the Niners have not drafted a pass catching TE to back uip VD once they got Delanie. Delanie is the worst KR/PR and to me a waste of a roster spot.

He is a webzone favorite, but I think if the team wants to move forward, Delanie is not part of the plan.

Delanie Walker has been the one holding the offense back all this time? Now I've heard it all!

Originally posted by 9erred:

First and foremost. He most learn not to fumble to make all this speculation work. He has fumbled at some really bad times in his short career.
I can't wait to see what Harbaugh does with this offense. Walker like Vernon are match up nightmares for defensive coordinators. I expect Harbaugh and company to take full advantage of that.
Originally posted by S2000:
I am excited by this move. It shows that the coaching staff has the creativity to utilize the player strengths to create favorable mismatches. The staff took what he did best and now will ask him to do more of it. He's gone from being an undersized situational TE on passing downs to a big & fast WR to threaten defenses on a more regular basis. This is a good sign.

If Walker can run 4.47 at 242, he might be running in the 4.3s at 227! Pretty exciting for a guy who is probably the most natural RAC receiver on the roster.

The lockout needs to end soon so our coaching staff can really get to work!

the coaching staff is talking to the players?

[ Edited by RonMexico on Jun 8, 2011 at 13:02:00 ]

I am excited by this move. It shows that the coaching staff has the creativity to utilize the player strengths to create favorable mismatches. The staff took what he did best and now will ask him to do more of it. He's gone from being an undersized situational TE on passing downs to a big & fast WR to threaten defenses on a more regular basis. This is a good sign.

If Walker can run 4.47 at 242, he might be running in the 4.3s at 227! Pretty exciting for a guy who is probably the most natural RAC receiver on the roster.

Uh...slow down there dude. LOL. WHo's to say he would be any faster at all at 227? He lasted as long as he did in the draft because he was slow and teams were afraid he couldn't separate. Same deal now.

I think we are making a big deal out of nothing. I think he is still a TE. I think he's gonna be used all over the place and I think he will get some time in the slot. So will Vernon Davis, but he's not converting into a WR.
  • S2000
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Uh...slow down there dude. LOL. WHo's to say he would be any faster at all at 227? He lasted as long as he did in the draft because he was slow and teams were afraid he couldn't separate. Same deal now.

I think we are making a big deal out of nothing. I think he is still a TE. I think he's gonna be used all over the place and I think he will get some time in the slot. So will Vernon Davis, but he's not converting into a WR.

It's been a very slow offseason. Maybe some articles will come out in the next few months about him gaining speed by dropping weight. If not, he will still be the same player, just used more effectively.

All the TEs will be used in the slot,different situations,formations,Running,passing, long,short yardage...thinking outside the box and the TEs are excited and ready to start..
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Umm... where did you read that he was slow? History lesson.
Share 49ersWebzone