LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Delanie Walker making a position change

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
maybe its me

but doesnt he have problems holding onto the ball?

he definitely does

What WR's on our team doesn't have trouble holding onto the ball?? Crabtree has his problems with drops, so does Ted Ginn... I'm REALLY hoping this Ronald Johnson kid can become a big time possession receiver for us... he sounds like he has a good work ethic the only thing that sucks is our WR's are all very similiar which means 1 or 2 will probably get cut just b/c they all have such similiar skill sets
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Gore, Davis, D-Love, Crabs, Morgan all on the field at once

Can't get too excited. We had all that one the field last year as well. It didn't get us very far.

-9fA

wonder why

JR: My plays are designed to gain only this much!
With me as the OC, any team will only go this far.
I have this much awake time before I need a nap!
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
am i the only one who doesnt like it?

delante walker is a specimen much like VD he is fast and is strong

in jim harbaughs offense we focous a lot on 2 WR 2 TE packages and walker will see much more playing time as a TE

he is a mismatch problems for LBs not so much for a CB

having

vernon davis walker crabtee morgan

on the field is much more scary than

vernon davis ? TE crabtree morgan

and walker come in only occationaly

I love this move Walker will be lined up against a nickel Corner and will be on the field even more.
I dought he has the speed to change to WR...its one thing going against a LB but I don't think he can get any speration on a CB. and at 6.0 ft he's doesn't pose a match up treat for jump balls.

he's better off staying as a TE.
Originally posted by GORO:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
am i the only one who doesnt like it?

delante walker is a specimen much like VD he is fast and is strong

in jim harbaughs offense we focous a lot on 2 WR 2 TE packages and walker will see much more playing time as a TE

he is a mismatch problems for LBs not so much for a CB

having

vernon davis walker crabtee morgan

on the field is much more scary than

vernon davis ? TE crabtree morgan

and walker come in only occationaly

I love this move Walker will be lined up against a nickel Corner and will be on the field even more.

Agreed, it's a good move for a player who wants to be a playmaker. If done correctly, and Im guessing it was, Walker could retain the majority of his muscle while dropping those 10-15 pounds. The loss in mass may hurt his blocking a little bit, but he really wasn't the greatest blocking TE to begin with since he transitioned from WR in college.

We have our quality blocking crew in VD and Byham, and Walker can become an H-back type role. This would offer JH the versatility he wants with his multiple TE sets. Walker can add support as a 3rd TE, line up in the back field, or at WR. The defense sees a personel group of 3 TE's and puts in their big boys... but with Walker and VD the matchups should be in our favor. They gotta give whatever CB or LB lines up on VD safety help, leaving Walker on a LB (hopefully).
I don't think he's making a position change. He may play more in the slot, but he's still a TE.
I like the move. Don't know how much it will change his role though, as I expect Harbaugh to package him all over the field to create mismatches. Seems like nothing more than a change of title.

Walker is definitely a playmaker and I'm intruiged to see how Harbaugh utilizes him. He just needs to take care of the ball and not put it on the ground so much.
DWALKER is our most under-rated player
i dont like this move at all, he is a great as a matchup threat for slow lb's and is always open when slow outside lbs try to cover him
And Byham has dropped 10lbs,now bouncing between 258-260,has been playing BB this off season along with strength and agility training....

Dude fumbles alot and gets injured every 5-10 plays but is A BEAST when he's on.
Originally posted by franklinfan:
And Byham has dropped 10lbs,now bouncing between 258-260,has been playing BB this off season along with strength and agility training....

I think Byham is going to be good for us.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I hope he doesn't make the change and just stays as an H-Back. He's real lumbering and I doubt losing a few pounds is going to make that much of a difference.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I hope he doesn't make the change and just stays as an H-Back. He's real lumbering and I doubt losing a few pounds is going to make that much of a difference.

He is not an effective blocker either way and teams have began to put a FS or Nickle CB on him. So why not let him have a better advantage as a receiver?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Well, this certainly puts a wrinkle in the idea we all had about Harbaugh and his offense. Shows what we know.

It'll be interesting to see it in action.
Share 49ersWebzone