To be or NOT to be - Crabtree

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Why does Peyton Manning make his WR's look like pro bowlers?

i would've said "Ball Placement"

It does help if you don't have to dive backwards or jump 3 feet in the air to catch a screen pass.

i dont know what you guys are talking about

ok im not comparing manning to alex first off

dallas clark and VD around same production level

reggie watne he is a pro bowler first round pick (i think top 20) but has work ethic like no other (unlike crabtree)

garcon only had 50 more yards than morgan and morgan had his worst games when troy smith was qb so in fact morgan may have out performed garcon if alex played whole season

both were 6th round picks

Manning is against any cutbacks in OTA's, he states that is when the WR's and QB's get on the same page, that is why he is throwing to the correct spot and the WR knows the spot, our guys do not get the reps.
He's average. His attitude and work ethic are much below that. I don't think he will ever be great.
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
I think hes produced nicely considering Jimmy Raye was the mastermind of our offense and he has been catching passes from a ridiculously fluid combination of Shaun Hill/Alex Smith/Troy Smith over 2 seasons.

Lets let these guys get on the field under a competent coach before we start talking about trades.

Someone who knows WTF they're talking about.

How can you look at the system, OC and QB....and then compare Crabs to elite players who have pro bowl QB's, legendary OC's and great systems?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's average. His attitude and work ethic are much below that. I don't think he will ever be great.

You know nothing of greatness
Originally posted by JayBee:
I think hes produced nicely considering Jimmy Raye was the mastermind of our offense and he has been catching passes from a ridiculously fluid combination of Shaun Hill/Alex Smith/Troy Smith over 2 seasons.

Lets let these guys get on the field under a competent coach before we start talking about trades.

How can you look at the system, OC and QB....and then compare Crabs to elite players who have pro bowl QB's, legendary OC's and great systems?

Simple, like this:
So apparently we should have:

a) Traded Vernon after his 2nd season
b) Traded Anthony Davis after his 1st season
c) Traded Crabtree after his 2nd season
d) Let Dashon go after a bad year
e) Let Sing go after his 2nd year
f) Let Raye go after his 1st year

e) Give Alex Smith a 7th year to play like a competent QB.

I truly don't understand 9er fans.

The first e) as well as f) seem reasonable.
Crabtree held out an entire camp and when he finally got on the field put up very good number for a rookie with very limited practice time. As we all know if he had played the entire season he was on track for 1000 yards.

Last year he did get cocky and like many rookies who have a decent year thought that he didn’t need the reps and yes he was stuck with Raye who is still wanting to play 1970’s football and a QB carousel of Smith and Smith. Crabtree has a lot to work on in college and in the pros his route running is sloppy, he tries to put to many moves on a CB which messes with the timing of routes and his concentration is poor.

This year Harbaugh will be on his a@@ and since Harbaugh is a former NFL QB he will not put up with dropped balls, poor routes, and lack of concentration, that will make his QB look bad. With having an OC and offensive minded coach Crabtree should take a huge leap this year. Even if Crabtree has the same year he had last year he is still with us for at least 2 years due to the lockout, Harbaugh wanting to see what the guy can do and having a six year contract.
Originally posted by 49erFan:

They do...What I was trying to highlight was fans seem to have little patience with anyone except (for some reason) the QB.

What evidence makes you think he will be great?
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Why does Peyton Manning make his WR's look like pro bowlers?

i would've said "Ball Placement"

Originally posted by 49erFan:

They do...What I was trying to highlight was fans seem to have little patience with anyone except (for some reason) the QB.

... because many fans know how to watch and assess blame appropriately.

Perhaps you should reflect on the likelihood that you do not have that ability and that this is the reason for your frequent confusions?

What evidence makes you think he will be great?

I didn't say he WILL be great. You stated he is below average and will never be great. The guy has played 2 seasons with below average coaching, below average QB play and has still been our leading WO in those two seasons. What else do you expect to see out of a guy who is still a young player?

What I do see out of him is probably the most fluid athlete we have on offense with natural hands and very good open field moves. He needs seasoning, but I think we've all seen flashes of an above average WO.
[ Edited by RichmondPete on Jun 2, 2011 at 3:41 PM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:

Simple, like this:

Its called an uncover-able player. 6'6 235 and runs in the 4.3's. You can't compare any player to Calvin Johnson. We might as well be comparing all 3nd year running backs to Adrian Peterson
[ Edited by RichmondPete on Jun 2, 2011 at 3:43 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone