There are 197 users in the forums

To be or NOT to be - Crabtree

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Why does Peyton Manning make his WR's look like pro bowlers?

i would've said "Ball Placement"

It does help if you don't have to dive backwards or jump 3 feet in the air to catch a screen pass.
Originally posted by Pfield9er:
so much hate for crabtree?? he's our best wr...alot of players are not participating in these "mini camps"...i believe he'll be there when it matters..when u watch film he is always down field blockin and celebrating other guys td's with them..but he gets called shelfish..i dont get it

It's nice to think this way, but as has been pointed out in another thread, what makes anybody think he is going to "show up"? He's missed both pre-seasons so far through an ill-advised hold out and an "injury". He has pissed off team mates regarding his practice routine (VD as an absolute minimum), and while he is supposedly in the bay area and has been contacted, he can't be bothered to show up and work out with teamates.
Beginning to think that "primadonna" label that he gained before the draft was accurate.
I think hes produced nicely considering Jimmy Raye was the mastermind of our offense and he has been catching passes from a ridiculously fluid combination of Shaun Hill/Alex Smith/Troy Smith over 2 seasons.

Lets let these guys get on the field under a competent coach before we start talking about trades.
[ Edited by RichmondPete on Jun 2, 2011 at 11:15 AM ]
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Why does Peyton Manning make his WR's look like pro bowlers?

i would've said "Ball Placement"

It does help if you don't have to dive backwards or jump 3 feet in the air to catch a screen pass.

i dont know what you guys are talking about

ok im not comparing manning to alex first off

dallas clark and VD around same production level

reggie watne he is a pro bowler first round pick (i think top 20) but has work ethic like no other (unlike crabtree)

garcon only had 50 more yards than morgan and morgan had his worst games when troy smith was qb so in fact morgan may have out performed garcon if alex played whole season

both were 6th round picks
3rd year in the NFL......I say like your Jr. year in college......got the first 2 years to get adjusted......now its time to shine.....I beleive he will have a pro bowl year with this new offense.
Oh yeah, let him go. Thats smart.........NOT!
Crabtree is in desperate need of a serviceable QB. He is not the problem here, the problem is at the QB position. Get this guy a good QB then make a decision based on his performance. When has his attitude become such a problem? He isn't the only player missing these minicamps. Vernon Davis has yet to show his face. What about Kyle Williams our Dominique Zeigler, they have yet to show up. Even Patrick Willis hasnt come through. Crabtree has not displayed any type of attitude problems since being signed! Everything being said about him in the media is opinionated BULLSH!!!T!!!!! How many times does he need to play catch with Smith for something to click? They just dont have the chemistry. Are we going to blame Crabtree for that? Or the guy who we just keep making excuses for no matter how many times he fails to be the guy we drafted him to be. Im sorry, but give it up. We wasted our #1 overall pick in 2005 on an average QB nothing more.
do any of you remember brandon lloyd?? its his 8th year and he is tearing it up. so give tree some time
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
So first this

and now we want everyone to go to the AS lead workouts? Please people, at least Crabtree isn't pulling pulling a JaMarcus on us. Gore is at full health but I have yet heard about he and VD going to these workouts. Why don't people get on their cases too?

Get real here. Peyton Manning? So some people think that Alex Smith is like Peyton Manning? The reason why the Colts receivers go to Peyton for guidance is because he's earned the respect of the league that he knows what he's doing. What part of Smith's career says "Follow me to the playoffs"?

The only thing great about Alex Smith in this coming season is that we'll bee a good spot in next year's great QB class. Luck, Barkley, Moore, L. Jones, and T. Pryor are better than this whole class from this year. Sorry Colin, but it looks like you could get the Clausen treatment. It's Alex's fault
[ Edited by TheNef77 on Jun 2, 2011 at 12:43 PM ]
Player development is the ugly word around here. Has he disappointed? Absolutely. So has this entire team. Let's see how he does for the next 4 years (the remaning time he has on his contract) in a real offense. I'm not prediciting 1000 yards, but considering that he had over 600 in limited action as a rookie and 700 last year, it's highly likely that he should do better than that in his first year under Harbaugh.

• cgida
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pfield9er:
so much hate for crabtree?? he's our best wr...alot of players are not participating in these "mini camps"...i believe he'll be there when it matters..when u watch film he is always down field blockin and celebrating other guys td's with them..but he gets called shelfish..i dont get it

To say that Crabtree is our BEST WR is cruel hit agains VD. Yes I know VD is a TE but he is the best WR we truly have on our roster. Having been a WR in college you get discouraged when you are working hard but the QB play is not up to par. In the NFL this frustration has got to be exponentially more frustrating since everyone made it to the "bigs". Let Harbaugh work with this group for a season and I am confident that the offense will look like Manning is running it. Players play harder for Great coaches.
Michael Crabtree = Michael Westbrook

If this punk doesn't get his game together, he's the next Michael Westbrook. I hate this dudes attitude and the fact that he's a Cowboys fan.

Michael Westbrook's Attitude Problem

Originally posted by prime21:
Oh yeah, let him go. Thats smart.........NOT!
Crabtree is in desperate need of a serviceable QB. He is not the problem here, the problem is at the QB position. Get this guy a good QB then make a decision based on his performance. When has his attitude become such a problem? He isn't the only player missing these minicamps. Vernon Davis has yet to show his face. What about Kyle Williams our Dominique Zeigler, they have yet to show up. Even Patrick Willis hasnt come through. Crabtree has not displayed any type of attitude problems since being signed! Everything being said about him in the media is opinionated BULLSH!!!T!!!!! How many times does he need to play catch with Smith for something to click? They just dont have the chemistry. Are we going to blame Crabtree for that? Or the guy who we just keep making excuses for no matter how many times he fails to be the guy we drafted him to be. Im sorry, but give it up. We wasted our #1 overall pick in 2005 on an average QB nothing more.

2005 is ancient history, get over it! Yeah, the QB has been PART of the problem, but wouldn't that slacker Crabtree being at camp and maybe playing in a couple preseason only help that?!? THAT is on HIM, not Smith or anyone else. Him and him alone! He's not doing anything to help the situation, but he's doing plenty to hurt it!
We would've been laughed at, just like the Raiders were laughed at for passing up on him. We really had no choice but to draft him. Would I rather draft, AJ Green, Dez Bryant, or even Jones? Even with hindsight I say yes. Compare him to the elite WR in the leagues, he not as fast, or as quick, or as big, or as strong. With the correct attitude, he can be good. But, he's never gonna be a Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson; All I see, best case scenario - Isaac Bruce.
WR's do need time to develop. His holdout sucked but i think most players would have because it was a weird situation with the raiders drafting Heyward Bey. Last year he got in a scrap with Vernon which is kind of funny because Vernon was a Diva before Sing got a hold of him. He said he was hurt so i'll take his word. This year, there's a lockout so that's not his fault.
He will show up in shape and he will more than likely be at Alex's organized minicamps. Our offense has been disfunctional but with all of the negative stats on him, isn't important to note that he was the leading WR behind Vernon. That's pretty good since he has been in a run first-Jimmy Raye scheme and a Qb carousel for 2 years with Alex and Troy... He's gonna get better with Harbs who knows how to create mis-matches...
Share 49ersWebzone