LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

Team Workouts Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Listening to a Barrows interview with KNBR. http://www.knbr.com/portals/3/podcasts/razormrt/0629barrows.mp3

- discussing Crabtree's situation with attitude and lack of participation. Barrows claims Crabtree told him, "you guys are just making that foot stuff up, I'm fine." Says Crabtree obviously hates talking to the media. Is Crabtree a jerk? "uh... yeah, he certainly doesn't like talking to media" Says he was frustrated by the QB back-n-forth changes last year.

- who started calling these practices "Camp Alex"? MB thinks the players started it, but then said he thinks perhaps Maiocco coined the term. Discusses the appreciation of all that Alex has been doing to get the practices functional.

- would Alex be in SF if not for lockout? Harbaugh had a number of possibilities. He went over the tape, and there was something there on film that attracted him to Alex.

- thoughts on Kap? "big, tall, put on some muscle... rifle arm, athletic..." expects Jim to find a way to put him on the field in certain situations.

- what will they really get outta these camps? It's all been about routes and passing... the arrangement, terminology, and familiarization so they won't be starting at square one. Thinks they are valuable.

- discusses how much we need to sign Baas. Talks about the playbooks that these guys have and yet still may not be 49ers this year. No control over where these playbooks may end up... calculated risk from Harbaugh.

Thanks for the summary Oldman.
Well from reading the news out of Camp alex, and everyones thoughts on it.. Sounds like we are on our way to being preseason champs again.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Well from reading the news out of Camp alex, and everyones thoughts on it.. Sounds like we are on our way to being preseason champs again.

....only to go 0-6, to start the regular season....yeah, right!!!20-0 next season(thats including preseason) with Harbs runnning the show
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Leadership is measured when your down 4 points with 3 minutes left in the game and you get the W. Right now this is nothing more then a practice organizer.

Your example is certainly an exemplar of leadership but not the only measurement. Montana pointing out John Candy, Joe Capp getting off the turf after being hammered to lead the team to a TD, Smith teaching a room full of 9ers the new playbook at his own expense on his own time. There are many ways to show leadership and the last small example is welcome, if not completely convincing. You are correct that Smith will need to win in order to complete the picture.

To me leadership on the field is the measure-the walk the walk, put up or shut up, otherwise it is like playing horse in basketball and a real game. You may be good in horse but suck in a real game when their is heat on you, and the weight of the football team is like a ton of bricks. Do you you relish it or do you blink.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Leadership is measured when your down 4 points with 3 minutes left in the game and you get the W. Right now this is nothing more then a practice organizer.

Your example is certainly an exemplar of leadership but not the only measurement. Montana pointing out John Candy, Joe Capp getting off the turf after being hammered to lead the team to a TD, Smith teaching a room full of 9ers the new playbook at his own expense on his own time. There are many ways to show leadership and the last small example is welcome, if not completely convincing. You are correct that Smith will need to win in order to complete the picture.

To me leadership on the field is the measure-the walk the walk, put up or shut up, otherwise it is like playing horse in basketball and a real game. You may be good in horse but suck in a real game when their is heat on you, and the weight of the football team is like a ton of bricks. Do you you relish it or do you blink.
  • Jiks

Only difference is we won't be running our whole playbook the first drive.

[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Jun 30, 2011 at 10:37:18 ]

the last offensive drive of the Saints game last year was pretty good example of this happening.That was an impressive drive. I hate the D couldn't stop the Saints one more time, but that doesn't change the fact that the qb took the team on his shoulders and marched them right down the field against a Superbowl bound D.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

Only difference is we won't be running our whole playbook the first drive.

we ran 5 of our 6 offensive plays on our first preseason drive last year. Jimmy Raye saved the 1 WR flea flicker for later in the season.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

the last offensive drive of the Saints game last year was pretty good example of this happening.That was an impressive drive. I hate the D couldn't stop the Saints one more time, but that doesn't change the fact that the qb took the team on his shoulders and marched them right down the field against a Superbowl bound D.

Perhaps, but he also put them in a hole with a safety and 2 interceptions. The saints D, was not a SB D, never were, their offense is off the charts, last year they were off.

Perhaps, but he also put them in a hole with a safety and 2 interceptions. The saints D, was not a SB D, never were, their offense is off the charts, last year they were off.

What? Safety wasn't his fault. It was a tremendously high snap from the center and he did the smart thing and swatted it out of the back, it would have been a defensive touchdown if he had waited any longer. No way you can blame that on him.

As for the interceptions, one was a pass to Gore that Gore tipped into the defenses hands and the other was a ball that was tipped near the line of scrimmage. the throw to Gore was just a little bit too high but the tip near the line was just an amazing play by the defense. Wouldn't get mad at Alex for either of them though.

Are these workouts open to the public

I think Baas probably deserves most of the blame for that particular safety.
Originally posted by BHulman:

I think Baas probably deserves most of the blame for that particular safety.
Yeah baas gets the blame on that, or maybe the blame goes on niner leadership for not starting wragge there ( i believe at that point last year he was the only one who had actually played center, yet they let baas start)
Am I the only one ready for some fricken football!!!!!????
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Am I the only one ready for some fricken football!!!!!????

I'm ready for us to start 5-0.
Last season 0-5
Season before didnt we start like 3-1? before failing?
Season before we were like 3-2 before failing?

I hope we do it right this year.
Share 49ersWebzone