LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Team Workouts Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Jiks
I don't see what the big deal is. It's good to hear Kaep is fitting right in. I personally think Alex is going to be a much better QB than many here believe he's going to be though. As we've heard many many many times he needs to know his offense. Right now he's instilling the basics to his team. He should know the offense pretty well you'd think. I expect him to be far more accurate and consistent based on his knowledge of the offense alone. We all know that he's a think first guy. Knowing the offense he can play more football, he can be that #1 pick. He's shown he can be a pretty good QB at times. But he's also shown he can make huge mistakes that cost games. Consistency hopefully will come with a consistent offense.

K Sorry...

There is really no need to rush Kaep unless he shows up and wins the job outright in camp. If Alex doesn't show any improvement in this new offense yank him, and start building for the future. It's win-win. Why all the arguing STILL?

We finally may have an offense. We finally have an offensive minded coach, and a seasoned coaching staff behind him. I think that will do wonders for this team. We have a lot of young talent, and if rumor is true Harbaugh plays to players skills. That's what we've always lacked.

I'm just happy no matter who the QB is. If Kaep can overthrow Alex for the starting position, that must mean he played pretty darn well. Again it's win-win in QB land.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Is Delanie Walker converting to WR?? Anyone know for sure?

No on the conversion. Just lining up in the slot more.

he'd be great in the slot
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Sorry if this point has already been stated...

But this Lockout might be the absolute best thing possible for this team. While Harbaugh isn't here to correct Alex's footwork and mechanics, Alex is showing he understands the playbook. Everything about the playbook. If he's teaching it to everyone, he must know the ins and outs. Didn't Urban Meyer say that exact thing? "Alex needs to know the where's, why's and when's of the playbook to be effective.". What better way to make sure you know something than to teach it to your teammates? Harbaugh is a genius!

[ Edited by Ether on Jun 29, 2011 at 02:11:50 ]
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

I'm just happy no matter who the QB is. If Kaep can overthrow Alex for the starting position, that must mean he played pretty darn well. Again it's win-win in QB land.

Hell YES !!!!
Whats up with Morgan cancelling his interview when asked about Crabtree?
Originally posted by jta854:

I saw that. Didn't want to mention it because people here really love crabtree and Everytime I say something bad about dude I get hated on lol
The niners may not be as far along as established teams with the same coaching staff, but I can tell you from most reports the Niner workouts are going allot better and smoother than the Broncos. Not that it's the greatest benchmark, but at least they are progressing and organized.

Probably tired of being the man's so called spokesman and might want folks to ask him about his own progress.

Disagree strongly. Taking Alex Smith's job is NOT something that has been difficult to do, therefore your assumption that Kaep must have "played pretty darn well" is not necessarily accurate.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Probably tired of being the man's so called spokesman and might want folks to ask him about his own progress.

this

i get pissed too when people ask me the same thing again and agin

Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
From what Staley's been saying, Kaep is already starting to show a strong sense of leadership amongst even 5-7 year-old veterans at the mini-camps.

-This lockout is really good for Kaep, cause he has a full shot at taking control of things (earning leadership/trust amongst the vetran players) without assistant coaches cock-blocking him because of his 2nd round 'draft' status (with Smith in front of him).
Staley is great. I can tell he see's the changes we need to make. I just hope CK is starting week one. I'm sure by the end of the preseason he will be out playing the second tier qb's we have on the team. It's really great to see these lesser qb's helping the rookie. great team spirit!

lmao. Alex Smith is running this s**t himself, there's no need for another player to mention how much leadership he is showing by doing all this work.

Your right! There is no need for staley to mention to the player how much leadership he has shown. Its never worked before. The player is being a good team mate by helping out CK. Thats great!

I'm glad to hear it, but lets keep in mind that Staley is also saying he thinks Crabs is doing on all the right things. Staley knows the media game.
  • dj43
I don't see what the big deal is. It's good to hear Kaep is fitting right in. I personally think Alex is going to be a much better QB than many here believe he's going to be though. As we've heard many many many times he needs to know his offense. Right now he's instilling the basics to his team. He should know the offense pretty well you'd think. I expect him to be far more accurate and consistent based on his knowledge of the offense alone. We all know that he's a think first guy. Knowing the offense he can play more football, he can be that #1 pick. He's shown he can be a pretty good QB at times. But he's also shown he can make huge mistakes that cost games. Consistency hopefully will come with a consistent offense.

K Sorry...

There is really no need to rush Kaep unless he shows up and wins the job outright in camp. If Alex doesn't show any improvement in this new offense yank him, and start building for the future. It's win-win. Why all the arguing STILL?

We finally may have an offense. We finally have an offensive minded coach, and a seasoned coaching staff behind him. I think that will do wonders for this team. We have a lot of young talent, and if rumor is true Harbaugh plays to players skills. That's what we've always lacked.

The importance of the work Alex Smith is doing now in terms of preparation for the season should not be overlooked.

Anyone who has ever had to make a presentation or teach a class knows that the preparation necessary to teach that class brings a FAR greater understanding of the material than one who only listens and studies.

We have heard and read ad nauseum about "how long it takes Alex Smith to learn an offense." I won't go into all that again as it has been beat to death here. I will only say that Smith has had a fair amount of exposure to the WCO under McCarthy and now teaching it to his teammates will prepare him in a much better way than if he were only in TC getting it from Roman and Harbaugh.

In the end, this will be a net plus for Smith and the team, both in terms of execution and leadership.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
MY 49ERS! Still getting work done. Imma go to SJSU
http://www.csnbayarea.com/06/29/11/Live-blog-Davis-sees-Smith-taking-charge/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=538172&feedID=5936

Quote:
"He's more of a leader than he's ever been at this point," Davis said. "I've never seen Alex like this, 'taking charge' is what I call it. It's Alex taking charge. He's in the classroom walking us through everything, talking about all the plays. He's taking all the snaps. And he's really being a leader out there. That's what Alex should've been doing. But it takes time for some guys to get to where you need to be." Davis said he was impressed with Smith's ability to get so many of the offensive players to come to the Bay Area for the workouts. On Tuesday, 20 of the 49ers' offensive players were in attendance for the session designed to familiarize them with the new 49ers' playbook. "He'll send out a mass text and tell us where he wants us, what time," Davis said. "I've never seen Alex like this. He really cares about his career, and he knows he's on his last straw, so he has to be exact and precise."
Originally posted by oldman9er:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/06/29/11/Live-blog-Davis-sees-Smith-taking-charge/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=538172&feedID=5936

Quote:
"He's more of a leader than he's ever been at this point," Davis said. "I've never seen Alex like this, 'taking charge' is what I call it. It's Alex taking charge. He's in the classroom walking us through everything, talking about all the plays. He's taking all the snaps. And he's really being a leader out there. That's what Alex should've been doing. But it takes time for some guys to get to where you need to be." Davis said he was impressed with Smith's ability to get so many of the offensive players to come to the Bay Area for the workouts. On Tuesday, 20 of the 49ers' offensive players were in attendance for the session designed to familiarize them with the new 49ers' playbook. "He'll send out a mass text and tell us where he wants us, what time," Davis said. "I've never seen Alex like this. He really cares about his career, and he knows he's on his last straw, so he has to be exact and precise."

I wish this all meant more than ... well, nothing. Not until we actually get into camp and see all the pieces in motion.

However, I do not discount Alex's leadership qualities during the lockout. He has FAR surpassed my expectations and I really do hope he has a good (borderline Pro-Bowl) season this year. I think giving Kaep 2 full seasons of seasoning () would be very helpful as well.

But anyway you break it down, Alex Smith is keeping this team relevant during the lockout and potentially rectifying his career. Good for him and good for us. Only time will tell if it all equates to more W's.
Share 49ersWebzone