There are 160 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Maiocco's mailbag: add QB's Josh Johnson, Froman to mix...

trade Carr for Johnson
Originally posted by FreddyG:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by FreddyG:
So Josh will come in and do great because he played for Jim? Kinda like Danny Warrful(sp) did with Steve Spurier(sp) thread/

You are missing the point...if Harbaugh, QB expert, wants Josh, then Josh might be better than you think he is. If he is as bad as you say, Harbaugh will say nice things about him (when the CBA is signed) and not try to trade for him. Have to wait and see.

NO the whole point is people keep sayin "oh he played for jim in college so he should be good with him in the pros" and thats just not true.

Some people do say that but many more leave it to Harbaugh to pick the best QBs, and if Josh is chosen I'm OK with that. If the 9ers could get another more experienced FA at a reasonable price, I wouldn't mind that either. They need at least four going into training camp.

Last year Johnson completed 14 of 16 attempts spread over 11 games, none as a starter.

In 2009 he played in 6 games, starting 4 and had a rating of around 50. Not good for a first year, but not bad.

2008 did not play in a game.

2007 (college) he had quite a year--2,988 yards and a school-record 43 touchdowns passing, one interception. This was after Harbaugh left for Stanford.

You may see this as horrible, some might see this as a pretty decent player. And as much as you value your opinion, it is still an opinion.

[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 11, 2011 at 07:21:51 ]
Originally posted by FreddyG:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by FreddyG:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by FreddyG:
So Josh will come in and do great because he played for Jim? Kinda like Danny Warrful(sp) did with Steve Spurier(sp) thread/

You are missing the point...if Harbaugh, QB expert, wants Josh, then Josh might be better than you think he is. If he is as bad as you say, Harbaugh will say nice things about him (when the CBA is signed) and not try to trade for him. Have to wait and see.

NO the whole point is people keep sayin "oh he played for jim in college so he should be good with him in the pros" and thats just not true.

My only point is, you are the only one who knows one way or the other what Johnson will do if/when he gets consistent playing time (which he hasn't yet). Like I said, you are right and he will suck under Harbaugh if given the chance...so for you to speak as if you know for sure what he is or what he will be in the future after only 141 pass attempts in the NFL is right.

FIXED

Are you in 4th grade? You can't seem to engage in a grown-up conversation...so good luck to you.
Well, Johnson definitely wants to be here, at least.

From Eric branch's new blog on sfgate:

Quote:

Q: Would it be OK with you if you ended up in San Francisco?

JJ: Would it be OK? I think that questions kind of answers itself. I'll answer it in a politically correct way. If the opportunity presented itself, I'd get to come home, be with my family, play for a coach that changed my life and play for a team that I grew up loving.
I don't see it happening but I am all for as much competition at that position as possible.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I don't see it happening but I am all for as much competition at that position as possible.

Agreed about a trade probably not happening this year after the lockout. He's a fa next year and I could definitely see him coming in if Alex is gone after this year, tho.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Well, Johnson definitely wants to be here, at least.

From Eric branch's new blog on sfgate:

Quote:

Q: Would it be OK with you if you ended up in San Francisco?

JJ: Would it be OK? I think that questions kind of answers itself. I'll answer it in a politically correct way. If the opportunity presented itself, I'd get to come home, be with my family, play for a coach that changed my life and play for a team that I grew up loving.

He really wants to be here and I hope the team at least considers a trade. I don't claim to know what it would take but does anyone really feel dumping Carr for Johnson would be a bad thing?
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Well, Johnson definitely wants to be here, at least.

From Eric branch's new blog on sfgate:

Quote:

Q: Would it be OK with you if you ended up in San Francisco?

JJ: Would it be OK? I think that questions kind of answers itself. I'll answer it in a politically correct way. If the opportunity presented itself, I'd get to come home, be with my family, play for a coach that changed my life and play for a team that I grew up loving.

He really wants to be here and I hope the team at least considers a trade. I don't claim to know what it would take but does anyone really feel dumping Carr for Johnson would be a bad thing?
Not worth the risk losing a draft pick trying to trade for him, if we already have CK and Alex. Pick him up as a FA next year.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Well, Johnson definitely wants to be here, at least.

From Eric branch's new blog on sfgate:

Quote:

Q: Would it be OK with you if you ended up in San Francisco?

JJ: Would it be OK? I think that questions kind of answers itself. I'll answer it in a politically correct way. If the opportunity presented itself, I'd get to come home, be with my family, play for a coach that changed my life and play for a team that I grew up loving.

He really wants to be here and I hope the team at least considers a trade. I don't claim to know what it would take but does anyone really feel dumping Carr for Johnson would be a bad thing?
Not worth the risk losing a draft pick trying to trade for him, if we already have CK and Alex. Pick him up as a FA next year.

Agreed. A third round pick for a backup QB is too steep. Seems like a slam dunk for FA next year though.
honestly i dont see this happening this year we are gonna resig n alex and we already have our young qb that we drafted in 2nd round i really dont see the opoint in bringing in another young qb if we didnt pick CK then it would make much more sense
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
honestly i dont see this happening this year we are gonna resig n alex and we already have our young qb that we drafted in 2nd round i really dont see the opoint in bringing in another young qb if we didnt pick CK then it would make much more sense

you never know JH could be like Gruden and have like 5 Qbs on the roster
Josh Johnson wants to come to San Francisco!!

Man that would be great...Can you imagine a rotation with Timmy, Cain and JJ...UNSTOPPABLE....move aside Philly...Wait, you mean the QB Josh Johnson....okay, I guess that's cool too!


In all seriousness, his addition would be good for competition, but I would rather see a more established veteran than JJ to compete with Alex Smith. I like Kaep, but I would rather give him time to develop before we just throw him out there.

Would JJ be a good backup though. I think he can be and would be a bit more at ease if Alex went down (assuming he would be the starter). However, I do think JJ still has a lot to prove and would not be comfortable with him being the starter to start the season.

I'm not sure the Niners will be able to acquire another veteran QB to compete with Alex unfortunately, so maybe trading to get JJ wouldn't be that bad of an idea.
[ Edited by elhebrewhammer on Jul 8, 2011 at 3:25 PM ]
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Originally posted by FreddyG:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Smith and Kaep get no playing time in a Niner uniform if Josh Johnson is on our team.....

josh johnson is horrible why do you think they drafted Freemen.

Wrong offense......didnt fit his style of play......but JH's WCO....now thats what he needs to succeed.

I cant believe I'm gonna say this but, rather have Alex than Josh.
Hope we get Kyle Orton
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Originally posted by FreddyG:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Smith and Kaep get no playing time in a Niner uniform if Josh Johnson is on our team.....

josh johnson is horrible why do you think they drafted Freemen.

Wrong offense......didnt fit his style of play......but JH's WCO....now thats what he needs to succeed.

I cant believe I'm gonna say this but, rather have Alex than Josh.
Hope we get Kyle Orton



I just want some serious competition and for the best option to win.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Originally posted by FreddyG:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Smith and Kaep get no playing time in a Niner uniform if Josh Johnson is on our team.....

josh johnson is horrible why do you think they drafted Freemen.

Wrong offense......didnt fit his style of play......but JH's WCO....now thats what he needs to succeed.

I cant believe I'm gonna say this but, rather have Alex than Josh.
Hope we get Kyle Orton



I just want some serious competition and for the best option to win.

I don't want another QB competition to ruin a good rapport between our qb and WR.