LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Isaac Sopoaga moving to NT

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Im all for it.......that man is a line mover......he is sole reason why Justin Smith is a Pro Bowler.

The sole reason? He's a rotational guy on the other end of the line
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Im all for it.......that man is a line mover......he is sole reason why Justin Smith is a Pro Bowler.

THE SOLE REASON!!!!
Originally posted by RichmondPete:

THE SOLE REASON!!!!

What a beast
  • ttime

I disagree with this. He has absolutely nothing to do with Justin Smith being a pro-bowler. Soap gets zero penetration and due to this, make it easier for the offense to block Manny or who ever else in playing next to him. He holds the line well and enables Willis to make plays, but as far as him being a play maker, he is the strongest weakest link on the DL.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Would not be happy about this at all.

Spend the damn money and re-sign Franklin. Don't understand why they even entertain the notion of letting him go.

And RJF isn't nearly ready to be the starter, so don't go their either.

1.) You don't know if Franklin even wants to stay here (he's a UFA and can go anywhere)
2.) Franklin is good, but he's not THAT good that you just pay him what he wants (this is the issue)
3.) You don't know if RJF is ready or not, but this post is about Soap starting...not RJF

He's one of the best and most over looked NTs in the entire league. I'm not saying to overpay for him, but to even entertain the notion of letting him go without giving him a fair long term offer is simply dumb - especially when there is NO suitable replacement for him.

And Soap has already started at NT before, and wasn't impressive.

You don't think they've been talking to him and have tried to work out a deal that works for both sides? By all accounts, the team has tried to sign him, but he wants to test the free agent market and see what he can get...he's earned that right, but I don't see how you can fault the club for this.

Soap started at NT in his first few seasons as a pro (without any 3-4 NT experience before that, and very little technique to speak of), and that was essentially 5 years ago. You REALLY don't think he's learned anything since then or become a more refined technician at all, especially with Tomsula as his d-line coach for the past few years???

I'll put it this way, there might be a reason that the team didn't draft a NT at all last month and why they didn't franchise Franklin again even though they could have. IMO, they either feel REALLY comfortable with the talent they already have (minus Aubrayo), they feel confident they can sign a veteran starter (Franklin or others) or they're incredibly stupid...and guys like Harbaugh/Fangio/Tomsula/Baalke don't strike me as incredibly stupid.
Originally posted by ttime:

I disagree with this. He has absolutely nothing to do with Justin Smith being a pro-bowler. Soap gets zero penetration and due to this, make it easier for the offense to block Manny or who ever else in playing next to him. He holds the line well and enables Willis to make plays, but as far as him being a play maker, he is the strongest weakest link on the DL.

The strongest weakest link.....what does that even mean,....he's the Merlin Olsen to the Deacon Jones.

The strongest weakest link.....what does that even mean,....he's the Merlin Olsen to the Deacon Jones.

how many times he benched 225 at the combine...hes strong...but a weak player...*sigh*
Originally posted by FreddyG:

how many times he benched 225 at the combine...hes strong...but a weak player...*sigh*

and this is coming from........probably a guy who doesnt even weigh 225......a weak player the man has been a consistent starter in the NFL, you gotta be a strong player to do that.....
Would not be happy about this at all.

Spend the damn money and re-sign Franklin. Don't understand why they even entertain the notion of letting him go.

And RJF isn't nearly ready to be the starter, so don't go their either.

1.) You don't know if Franklin even wants to stay here (he's a UFA and can go anywhere)
2.) Franklin is good, but he's not THAT good that you just pay him what he wants (this is the issue)
3.) You don't know if RJF is ready or not, but this post is about Soap starting...not RJF

He's one of the best and most over looked NTs in the entire league. I'm not saying to overpay for him, but to even entertain the notion of letting him go without giving him a fair long term offer is simply dumb - especially when there is NO suitable replacement for him.

And Soap has already started at NT before, and wasn't impressive.

You don't think they've been talking to him and have tried to work out a deal that works for both sides? By all accounts, the team has tried to sign him, but he wants to test the free agent market and see what he can get...he's earned that right, but I don't see how you can fault the club for this.

Soap started at NT in his first few seasons as a pro (without any 3-4 NT experience before that, and very little technique to speak of), and that was essentially 5 years ago. You REALLY don't think he's learned anything since then or become a more refined technician at all, especially with Tomsula as his d-line coach for the past few years???

I'll put it this way, there might be a reason that the team didn't draft a NT at all last month and why they didn't franchise Franklin again even though they could have. IMO, they either feel REALLY comfortable with the talent they already have (minus Aubrayo), they feel confident they can sign a veteran starter (Franklin or others) or they're incredibly stupid...and guys like Harbaugh/Fangio/Tomsula/Baalke don't strike me as incredibly stupid.

That's acutally a fact. I remember reading an article that said Franklin wants to test the waters.

and this is coming from........probably a guy who doesnt even weigh 225......a weak player the man has been a consistent starter in the NFL, you gotta be a strong player to do that.....

225 would be way too big for me im 5'10 175 but back on topic... yeah dude is garbage.

225 would be way too big for me im 5'10 175 but back on topic... yeah dude is garbage.

Dude is not garbage.....

Dude is not garbage.....

how is he not?

Dude is not garbage.....

how is he not?

Nobody moves him on the line......he does all the dirty work...... like occupie space..... takes him self along with two OL out of the play.....stats and camera angles following the ball doesnt really show what he does for our D-Line. The man may not be All Pro materiel but hes not garbage, I bet if he leaves and we go as is our D-line gets really crappy.

Dude is not garbage.....

how is he not?

Nobody moves him on the line......he does all the dirty work...... like occupie space..... takes him self along with two OL out of the play.....stats and camera angles following the ball doesnt really show what he does for our D-Line. The man may not be All Pro materiel but hes not garbage, I bet if he leaves and we go as is our D-line gets really crappy.

i doubt it hes not football smart. yeah hes strong but hes never around the ball making plays

[ Edited by FreddyG on May 9, 2011 at 18:28:34 ]
soap is all washed up. plain and simple, he is garbage
Share 49ersWebzone