There are 226 users in the forums

Isaac Sopoaga moving to NT

Shop Find 49ers gear online
internetz my b
[ Edited by 5280High on Nov 2, 2011 at 11:29 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I like Sopoaga, but I'd like to see us draft a big bodied NT in rounds 1 or 2 if the value is there. He is playing the position very similar to the way he played DE last year, strong against the run, but not much penetration. Fiago always uses words like "solid" when describing Sopoaga, which is a step down from adjectives he uses to describe guys like Ray, J.Smith, The Twins, A.Smith and Brooks.

I don't see a lot of QB's stepping up into a pocket against us. That's Ike. He isn't getting pushed back to create that front cushion for QB's.

I'm just saying listen to Fiago. He likes Soap, but doesn't mention him with the same wow factor he does the rest of the guys. No one thought we needed to upgrade the DE postion when he was there, but then RayMac took over and the difference was obvious. Besides, our D line is pretty dam thin.

Also, I think you can make an argument that we are good at CB if Rogers resigns. Wasn't there an article recently about our delema regarding which CBs should startt? Brown, Cully, Rogers, Spencer are all showing to be starting material. Of course, it never hurts to upgrade.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
The first time around, they tried him as a 2-gap NT, he didn't do well. Franklin sucked as a 2-gap NT too. Then they changed the scheme to a 1-gap, and Franklin performed well. I believe the scheme is stil a 1-gap (somebody please correct me if i'm wrong), and Sopoaga is showing he can play that position pretty damn well. He also has the benefit of his experience at DE as well as Tomsula's coaching.

Nailed it!
I like the creativity. But i think the dude is starting to take a few many snaps on the offensive side of the ball. Would hate for him to get worn out (or hurt), when he is used as a FB.
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
I like the creativity. But i think the dude is starting to take a few many snaps on the offensive side of the ball. Would hate for him to get worn out (or hurt), when he is used as a FB.

Agree,

I think he's in there for his receiving ability

but i would like to see Dobbs and Boone get some snaps at Jumbo packages
Soap moving to TE!!!!!....................................................................j/k lol.
Forget NT move him to slot receiver the fool is awesome in the passing game !!!
late January 2012 Packer's 37 Niner's 32, Niner's 4th and goal 14 seconds left. Smith back to pass---Packers triple team Soap--Alex passes to a wide open Crabtree--touchdown--Niner's win!! Niner's 40 packer's 37--on to the Super Bowl!
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
late January 2012 Packer's 37 Niner's 32, Niner's 4th and goal 14 seconds left. Smith back to pass---Packers triple team Soap--Alex passes to a wide open Crabtree--touchdown--Niner's win!! Niner's 40 packer's 37--on to the Super Bowl!

Yeah baby !
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
When Sopoaga was first tried at NT he didn't seem to do to well. What has changed for him and what is he doing that is making him better? Does he have a high ceiling or is he just about maxed out?

From 2005 to now, what I've noticed is that off the snap hes much more lower and uses his hands more to get off blocks. Before Tomsula and in college his problem was he would get locked up on one blocker.

So in the end, I was wrong about two players, McDonald and Sopoaga, glad I was wrong.

I was honestly worried when we lost Franklin.

Our defense was KNOWN for stopping the run..and it seemed Franklin did that last year.

Glad our defense has actually improved against the run and we have a solid pass defense as well.
Respect to Soap, who anchors the top rated defense in the NFL in terms of rush yards per game and total points allowed.

• gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Respect to Soap, who anchors the top rated defense in the NFL in terms of rush yards per game and total points allowed.

Share 49ersWebzone