There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Isaac Sopoaga moving to NT

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Just more as an FYI, but Sopoaga lost his first year due to a nasty back injury.

... and we HAD to go with a 1-gap NT, since Franklin was pretty terrible at anchoring the LOS vs double teams.


Would you be opposed to drafting another NT next year or do you have faith in Williams and RJF?


I personally think we should draft a monster in the mid rounds

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed, but I am leaning towards not having NT as a priority. I'd like to re-sign Sopoaga for a few years, and I do have faith in furthering RJF and Williams' development. Really like the three we have, and I think RJF is closer to starting caliber than probably many others do.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Just more as an FYI, but Sopoaga lost his first year due to a nasty back injury.

... and we HAD to go with a 1-gap NT, since Franklin was pretty terrible at anchoring the LOS vs double teams.


Would you be opposed to drafting another NT next year or do you have faith in Williams and RJF?


I personally think we should draft a monster in the mid rounds

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed, but I am leaning towards not having NT as a priority. I'd like to re-sign Sopoaga for a few years, and I do have faith in furthering RJF and Williams' development. Really like the three we have, and I think RJF is closer to starting caliber than probably many others do.

Agree. Would rather keep these three and draft stud cover corners
I'm glad that we didn't pay Aubrayo Franklin. Has he gotten any playing time with the Saints?
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Would not be happy about this at all.

Spend the damn money and re-sign Franklin. Don't understand why they even entertain the notion of letting him go.

And RJF isn't nearly ready to be the starter, so don't go their either.

1.) You don't know if Franklin even wants to stay here (he's a UFA and can go anywhere)
2.) Franklin is good, but he's not THAT good that you just pay him what he wants (this is the issue)
3.) You don't know if RJF is ready or not, but this post is about Soap starting...not RJF

He's one of the best and most over looked NTs in the entire league. I'm not saying to overpay for him, but to even entertain the notion of letting him go without giving him a fair long term offer is simply dumb - especially when there is NO suitable replacement for him.

And Soap has already started at NT before, and wasn't impressive.

^ haha, nice...



So, where would everyone rank the starting 3-4 NTs of 2011 right now?

Top NTs

current ESPN run D ranking = {#}
current FO mid/guard run D ranking = the 2nd [#]

B.J. Raji - Green Bay {#15} [#5]
Jay Ratliff - Dallas {#2} [#1]
Isaac Sopoaga - San Francisco {#3} [#16]
Terrence Cody - Baltimore {#1} [#2]
Kyle Williams - Buffalo {#25} [#22]
Casey Hampton - Pittsburgh {#20} [#19]
Sione Pouha - New York Jets {#28}
Barry Cofield - Washington {#12} [#15]
Paul Soliai - Miami {#16} [#30]
Kelly Gregg - Kansas City {#21} [#24]
Antonio Garay - San Diego {#17} [#26]
Dan Williams - Arizona {#8} [#28]
Shaun Cody - Houston {#11}[#32]
Sopoaga has been playing much better than I was expecting so far this year!
When you look at Sopoaga's build and strength, I was always surprised that anyone around here DIDN'T think he could be a good NT. And, I just love the way Harbaugh has been using him on offense. Prediction: if and when the Niners make the playoffs, if they find themselves at about the five yard line, Sopoaga will slip off of a block, drift out into the flat and catch a touchdown pass. Nobody will be near him.
When Sopoaga was first tried at NT he didn't seem to do to well. What has changed for him and what is he doing that is making him better? Does he have a high ceiling or is he just about maxed out?
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
When Sopoaga was first tried at NT he didn't seem to do to well. What has changed for him and what is he doing that is making him better? Does he have a high ceiling or is he just about maxed out?

Experience, health, and confidence.
I like Sopoaga, but I'd like to see us draft a big bodied NT in rounds 1 or 2 if the value is there. He is playing the position very similar to the way he played DE last year, strong against the run, but not much penetration. Fiago always uses words like "solid" when describing Sopoaga, which is a step down from adjectives he uses to describe guys like Ray, J.Smith, The Twins, A.Smith and Brooks.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I like Sopoaga, but I'd like to see us draft a big bodied NT in rounds 1 or 2 if the value is there. He is playing the position very similar to the way he played DE last year, strong against the run, but not much penetration. Fiago always uses words like "solid" when describing Sopoaga, which is a step down from adjectives he uses to describe guys like Ray, J.Smith, The Twins, A.Smith and Brooks.

I don't see a lot of QB's stepping up into a pocket against us. That's Ike. He isn't getting pushed back to create that front cushion for QB's.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
When Sopoaga was first tried at NT he didn't seem to do to well. What has changed for him and what is he doing that is making him better? Does he have a high ceiling or is he just about maxed out?

The first time around, they tried him as a 2-gap NT, he didn't do well. Franklin sucked as a 2-gap NT too. Then they changed the scheme to a 1-gap, and Franklin performed well. I believe the scheme is stil a 1-gap (somebody please correct me if i'm wrong), and Sopoaga is showing he can play that position pretty damn well. He also has the benefit of his experience at DE as well as Tomsula's coaching.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
When Sopoaga was first tried at NT he didn't seem to do to well. What has changed for him and what is he doing that is making him better? Does he have a high ceiling or is he just about maxed out?

Experience, health, and confidence.

And competent coaching.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I like Sopoaga, but I'd like to see us draft a big bodied NT in rounds 1 or 2 if the value is there. He is playing the position very similar to the way he played DE last year, strong against the run, but not much penetration. Fiago always uses words like "solid" when describing Sopoaga, which is a step down from adjectives he uses to describe guys like Ray, J.Smith, The Twins, A.Smith and Brooks.

I don't see a lot of QB's stepping up into a pocket against us. That's Ike. He isn't getting pushed back to create that front cushion for QB's.

With the trends of the NFL going towards more passing offenses, Ice is a good blend of size and athleticism. The giant plugging NT is starting to become outdated for more athletic instinctual NT's like Ratliff. Spend the 1st pick on a DB, get another NT/DE tweener in the mid rounds if there is value.
doubled
[ Edited by 5280High on Nov 2, 2011 at 11:28 AM ]