LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Isaac Sopoaga moving to NT

Shop Find 49ers gear online
*likes*
glad we didn't pay fat ass to stay
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
not a fan of Isaac. to me he should have been cut long time ago.

Soap is not a "get the QB" player like Justin is. He is a "hole clogger" that holds the line of attack for the LB's to do their jobs. I think Abrauyo was the same.

I agree.
Still early but I think he's doing a good job so far. It would have been bad, really bad for us, had Soap not step up.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 27, 2011 at 7:09 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Still early but I think he's doing a good job so far. It would have been bad, really bad for us, had Soap not step up.

He's doing very well. They finally gave him a role that fits his abilities.
He plays the position much better than his first go at it.
Yep. Sopo is handling his business well. I thought he would be asked to mindlessly crash an A gap... but not so much... he's having to be more disciplined and this time, he's doing much better with it.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Well I mean, Nolan did try him out at NT during his tenure and it didn't work out so well... With Soap it just took him a while to understand how to play in the NFL.. It happens.. Some peeps get it right away, some peeps take a while and some never get it.. Glad Soap eventually got it though. He's doing a good job at the nose...
Franklin who?
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
not a fan of Isaac. to me he should have been cut long time ago.

Soap is not a "get the QB" player like Justin is. He is a "hole clogger" that holds the line of attack for the LB's to do their jobs. I think Abrauyo was the same.

I agree.

ya just put it this way, casey hampton is a 5x probowl NT. and has 9 career sacks and is in his 11th season.

we're 1st in run D (fingers crossed that it holds up as the season goes), and that starts with the NT.

Originally posted by Eduardo75:

Well I mean, Nolan did try him out at NT during his tenure and it didn't work out so well... With Soap it just took him a while to understand how to play in the NFL.. It happens.. Some peeps get it right away, some peeps take a while and some never get it.. Glad Soap eventually got it though. He's doing a good job at the nose...

what, in his rookie year?
Originally posted by Eduardo75:

what, in his rookie year?

AND, as a 2-gap NT. The team switched to a 1-gap when neither Soap or Franklin could play that position.
Just more as an FYI, but Sopoaga lost his first year due to a nasty back injury.

... and we HAD to go with a 1-gap NT, since Franklin was pretty terrible at anchoring the LOS vs double teams.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Just more as an FYI, but Sopoaga lost his first year due to a nasty back injury.

... and we HAD to go with a 1-gap NT, since Franklin was pretty terrible at anchoring the LOS vs double teams.

Would you be opposed to drafting another NT next year or do you have faith in Williams and RJF?

I personally think we should draft a monster in the mid rounds
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Would you be opposed to drafting another NT next year or do you have faith in Williams and RJF?

I personally think we should draft a monster in the mid rounds

I know your asking oldman9er, but I wouldn't mind drafting another NT in 2012. The problem is, this years class seems rather weak, I think we'll know more when the Juniors start declaring. But I wouldn't mind developing Ian Williams either.
Share 49ersWebzone