Originally posted by FreddyG:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Originally posted by ttime:
Im all for it.......that man is a line mover......he is sole reason why Justin Smith is a Pro Bowler.

I disagree with this. He has absolutely nothing to do with Justin Smith being a pro-bowler. Soap gets zero penetration and due to this, make it easier for the offense to block Manny or who ever else in playing next to him. He holds the line well and enables Willis to make plays, but as far as him being a play maker, he is the strongest weakest link on the DL.

The strongest weakest link.....what does that even mean,....he's the Merlin Olsen to the Deacon Jones.

how many times he benched 225 at the combine...hes strong...but a weak player...*sigh*

and this is coming from........probably a guy who doesnt even weigh 225......a weak player the man has been a consistent starter in the NFL, you gotta be a strong player to do that.....

225 would be way too big for me im 5'10 175 but back on topic... yeah dude is garbage.

Dude is not garbage.....

how is he not?

Nobody moves him on the line......he does all the dirty work...... like occupie space..... takes him self along with two OL out of the play.....stats and camera angles following the ball doesnt really show what he does for our D-Line. The man may not be All Pro materiel but hes not garbage, I bet if he leaves and we go as is our D-line gets really crappy.

i doubt it hes not football smart. yeah hes strong but hes never around the ball making plays

.. Sopoaga is not asked to be a play-making DE. Wow. Come on now. He has a specific purpose and that is space-eating and containment and he does an excellent job of both. From time to time, you will see him put in a situation where he can make a play, and he has made some, but that's not his primary responsibility.

Guys like Brett Keisel (PIT), Kedrick Golston (WASH), Luis Castillo (SD), Sione Pouha (NYJ), and Marcus Spears (DAL) all play virtually the same role with their teams. Some of these guys aren't more well-known because of it, but make no mistake, they're highly valued by their teams.

Sopoaga has been doing a fine job for a long time and people need to understand that just because he's not in there racking up enormous sack numbers, that doesn't mean he's a terrible player all of a sudden. Our line would be MUCH worse without him.

Containment??? How about this? He is asked to contain because he can not make plays! A play maker commands the opponent's attention and thus no need to simply contain. A container holds while others have to make the play. He is not a container by choice; it's due to lack of ability.

Every player has a role. And it's very rare that you field a team with 11 superstars. We have two or three superstars on our defense. J. Smith, P. Willis and A. Franklin (if he stays).

On any given play Soap's role can change. I think saying something like "he's asked to contain because he can't make plays" is a little off the mark. In general, given the fact that he is a 3-4 end Soap's primary responsibility is to maintain the line and stuff the run. It's not a flashy position and Soap isn't going to be a season after season Pro Bowler. But he carries his weight.

Weather he can do it at the NT position is a different question entirely.

Agreed. Hes plays a key role to help key players.
Originally posted by PTulini:
DE Sopoaga says he'd be OK with move back to middle

Quote:
“To be honest, I would love for Aubrayo Franklin to be back with us,” Sopoaga said. “But whatever comes through, I don’t mind doing it because I did it my first four years … I’m a happy guy. It doesn’t matter where they put me. I say I’m ‘The Bullet.’ Just load me in and just go. I’m comfortable playing nose tackle or D-end. As long as it’s on the D-line area, I’m fine.”

Quote:
“To me, 320 as a nose tackle is heavy enough,” Sopoaga said. “I’d rather be comfortable than being just a big guy. I want to chase plays, beat the guy in front of me before the quarterback can hand off the ball to the running back … I used to be that (big) guy my first four years when I played at 335 or 330. It was OK, but it was not fun. It’s fun making plays on the line of scrimmage, but it’s a greater feeling when you make plays in the backfield. That’s my thing.”

Great quotes and even more of why I want him to STAY at LDE where he has found a home. In Manusky's defense, Sopoaga was not exactly turned loose to penetrate and get up field and make plays in the running game or collapse the pocket. In Fangio's defense, he will and for a man that big, he is very quick and athletic. I think we have not utilized him 100% correctly yet...'bout 70%. I'm hoping he can stay at LDE and be turned loose more to utilize his athleticism, quickness and strength to disrupt the QB and the RB's behind the LOS! I agree with everyone else that I am very surprised we didn't draft a NT. No doubt, Fangio got the 1st pick in the draft but your four attacking LBers are nothing without the guys in front of them!
I'm in favor of him moving to NT...he can help mentor Jean-Francois and between the two of 'em, they should be able to hold the point. Moving him to NT also enables Aldon Smith to be on the field more...and that's going to be a good thing. Justin Smith has needed a true bookend DE and now he has one. They still have Evans and Tukuafu for depth/mentoring Aldon Smith. Franklin disappointed me last season...I also don't think he's worth the kind of money he's seeking. So, I think it's time to turn the page and move on without him.
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
Over the past three seasons, Aubrayo Franklin has started 47 of 48 games at nose tackle between for the 49ers, playing between ends Isaac Sopoaga and Justin Smith.

Franklin played last season under the one-year franchise tag and is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent when the 2011 league year begins. If he were to depart, Sopoaga is willing to move back to the middle, reports Eric Branch of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat.

“To be honest, I would love for Aubrayo Franklin to be back with us,” Sopoaga said. “But whatever comes through, I don’t mind doing it because I did it my first four years. I’m a happy guy. It doesn’t matter where they put me. I say I’m ‘The Bullet.’ Just load me in and just go. I’m comfortable playing nose tackle or d-end. As long as it’s on the d-line area, I’m fine.”

A 2004 fourth-round pick out of Hawaii, Sopoaga totaled 63 tackles and three quarterback sacks as a part-time starter his first four seasons in the league. In the three seasons since signing a five-year, $20 million contract, the 6-foot-2, 320-pound Sopoaga has extended his consecutive games streak to 73, and has 95 tackles and 3.5 quarterback sacks in 48 games.

Sopoaga doesn’t think a move inside would necessitate adding the 10-to-15 pounds to get back to the weight he played at from 2004-07.

“To me, 320 as a nose tackle is heavy enough,” Sopoaga said.

LINK
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'm in favor of him moving to NT...he can help mentor Jean-Francois and between the two of 'em, they should be able to hold the point. Moving him to NT also enables Aldon Smith to be on the field more...and that's going to be a good thing. Justin Smith has needed a true bookend DE and now he has one. They still have Evans and Tukuafu for depth/mentoring Aldon Smith. Franklin disappointed me last season...I also don't think he's worth the kind of money he's seeking. So, I think it's time to turn the page and move on without him.

- I agree with Franklin being somewhat disappointing last season, and am also not excited about paying him the type of contract he will demand.

- This bolded part confuses me. Do you then think Aldon will be bulked up and inserted in as the LDE? I thought the plan for him was stay around 270 and be our rush LB?

I like the idea of Sopoaga and RJF spending time on the field together at NT/LDE. We can have RayMac rotate at LDE, but we still would need some quality depth at NT or DE, depending on the particular rotation/involvement of the others mentioned.

- That was a good article with Sopo and I also liked the quotes.
Starting to look like an inevitability. Aubrayo will be overpaid by the Redskins, and our FA money will go to A.Smith, D.Bass, T.Spikes, R.McDonald, and maybe D.Goldson.

The starting 3-4 will most likely look like:

J.Smith - I.Sopoaga - R.McDonald
A.Smith - P.Willis - T.Spikes - P.Haralson
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Starting to look like an inevitability. Aubrayo will be overpaid by the Redskins, and our FA money will go to A.Smith, D.Bass, T.Spikes, R.McDonald, and maybe D.Goldson.

I think Bowman earned a starting role over Spikes. With Willis out last season, Bowman stepped in and played great.
Originally posted by strickac:

I think Bowman earned a starting role over Spikes. With Willis out last season, Bowman stepped in and played great.

I doubt Spikes would take a backup role, so if Bowman take the starting role, then they would probably let Spikes walk (I just don't see that happening). I think Spikes has the job until an injury or Bowman outplays him.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Spikes will probably start, but Bowman will get plenty of PT on special teams
and as 4-2 Nickle LB, and also get a series or two as base 3-4 ILB

I really hope we sign Franklin and leave Sopo as LDE
with McDoanld, Francois and Tukuafu adding solid depth

I doubt Spikes would take a backup role, so if Bowman take the starting role, then they would probably let Spikes walk (I just don't see that happening). I think Spikes has the job until an injury or Bowman outplays him.

Agreed, Spikes will start because when healthy he is still the best we got next to Willis, but during passing situations I think you'll see Bowmen giving Spikes some rest and some rotations based off of the offensive personel in the game.

I think Soap is more than capable now that he has more league experience and that they made the NT a one gap responsibility... remember neither NT was all that effective until they switched up the NT responsibilities, then Franklin started to break out. I still wouldn't count out RJF as either a NT or replacing Soap as a DE rotating with McDonald again based on the offensive personnel. Throw in some good preseason showings from Tukuafu and we have a little bit of depth, though Im sure they will add another DE in FA for depth and competition.

Still the front 7 never really worries me on this team... its the back 4 we need to address.

Originally posted by 5280High:

Agreed, Spikes will start because when healthy he is still the best we got next to Willis, but during passing situations I think you'll see Bowmen giving Spikes some rest and some rotations based off of the offensive personel in the game.

I think Soap is more than capable now that he has more league experience and that they made the NT a one gap responsibility... remember neither NT was all that effective until they switched up the NT responsibilities, then Franklin started to break out. I still wouldn't count out RJF as either a NT or replacing Soap as a DE rotating with McDonald again based on the offensive personnel. Throw in some good preseason showings from Tukuafu and we have a little bit of depth, though Im sure they will add another DE in FA for depth and competition.

Still the front 7 never really worries me on this team... its the back 4 we need to address.

This
Originally posted by oldman9er:

- I agree with Franklin being somewhat disappointing last season, and am also not excited about paying him the type of contract he will demand.

- This bolded part confuses me. Do you then think Aldon will be bulked up and inserted in as the LDE? I thought the plan for him was stay around 270 and be our rush LB?

I like the idea of Sopoaga and RJF spending time on the field together at NT/LDE. We can have RayMac rotate at LDE, but we still would need some quality depth at NT or DE, depending on the particular rotation/involvement of the others mentioned.

If we can have J. Smith, Soap. and Ray Mac on the field at the same time with Aldoron able to line up whenever and P Willy roaming around, there will be matchup nightmares for the other offense. Aldoron shines inside and out. He could be the real deal and a one of a kind stud. Hopefully he pans out. The guy has some wicked powerful swim and club moves. Its like his arms are independent of his body and strong as legs.

[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jun 22, 2011 at 22:49:47 ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

If we can have J. Smith, Soap. and Ray Mac on the field at the same time with Aldoron able to line up whenever and P Willy roaming around, there will be matchup nightmares for the other offense. Aldoron shines inside and out. He could be the real deal and a one of a kind stud. Hopefully he pans out. The guy has some wicked powerful swim and club moves. Its like his arms are independent of his body and strong as legs.

Sure hope so. I didn't watch all that much of Aldon. I did watch a half-dozen Missouri games (just to evaluate Gabbert, mostly), but it wasn't often I saw Aldon stand out. I know he was coming off an injury, and he has shown that power you speak of a times.

Am so hoping he can turn out to be our next Charles Haley.
meh
Share 49ersWebzone