LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 195 users in the forums

Actually very optimistic about this season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Considering how close many of the games we lost last year were:
atlanta -2pts, literally had the game won...
saints -3pts
Eagles -3pts, Alex smith had 300+ yds
Panthers -3pts, didnt watch this one, not sure how we lost... wtf

Im VERY optimistic even with Alex Smith as qb, and Im absolutely no fan of his. Looking at our schedule this season, I dont see why we dont at least win the NFC West. Of course however, we were saying this last year. I just think that with a competent offensive strategy that isnt as predictable as the sunrise, and our defense remaining basically the same we wont give away so many games this year.

Here is my take on the 2011 schedule:
Seahawks - 78% win - At home, opening day, we pull it out
Cowboys - 50% - If Romo shows up, we lose
Bengals - 85% win - theyre in complete chaos over there. i see them gunning for Luck
Eagles- 45% - We played them very close last year but i dont see it happening with a healthy Vick
Bucs - 68% win- They stomped us last year with Blount, but we had no offense with sing. probably wont happen again
Lions - 70% win- yes they have a monster DL but the rest of their D still sucks and theyre offense is iffy.
Browns - 70% win- attack McCoy and he folds. hillis wont run over our D (madden curse )
Redskins - 79% win- Who knows what their Qb situation looks like but theyve got other issues. i think we handle them.
Giants - 50% - Depends on what Eli does. Not optimistic about this one
Cardinals - 80% win- Its the cards
Ravens - 35% - harbaugh vs. harbaugh but not likely
Rams - 73% - We beat them last year with Troy Smith, the second game we imploded after J. Smith's ejection. I dont think that happens again.
Cardinals - 80% Its the Cards again
Steelers - 35% Nope.
Seahawks - 65% possible battle for the division, away. will be a good one, but we win (bias)
Rams - 73% We win for the division

This could put us at 11-5 best case senario. I dont see us losing to the cards or rams at all. the Seahwawks could get us late in the season and we could be shocked by either the lions or browns but we would still be over .500. This would constitute a positive season for coach harbaugh in my book, given the hand he's dealt. So Overall im pretty excited about this season even though many will see it as a rebuilding year. Im not at all on the Tank-for-Luck bandwagon, Id like to fly my flags this year without ridicule, and he may not be that great as a pro.

thoughts?

[ Edited by 49glory on May 6, 2011 at 23:29:05 ]
I agree, I have us with an 11-5 ceiling with a 9-7 floor.

[ Edited by 24plus25er on May 6, 2011 at 23:31:27 ]
Let's look at this objectively.

Alex Smith in a new offense

Rookie Head Coach

NFL Lockout (might last until the reg season is scheduled to begin).
Originally posted by aman49:

lol. fair enough...
Originally posted by nflguy49:

Rookie Head Coach

A. Alex Smith is ALWAYS in a new offense, but he has the PB already and is smart enough to get the fundamentals down.

B. Harbaugh may be new to the NFL, but he was a long tenured player and he has been coaching as a head coach for a while so I think he will be fine.

C. Got me there.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Originally posted by nflguy49:

Rookie Head Coach

A. Alex Smith is ALWAYS in a new offense, but he has the PB already and is smart enough to get the fundamentals down.

B. Harbaugh may be new to the NFL, but he was a long tenured player and he has been coaching as a head coach for a while so I think he will be fine.

C. Got me there.

When has Alex ever been good in the first season of a new offense? This time he has the disadvantage of the lockout. I just don't see him performing better under tougher circumstances.
  • Jiks
One game out of the playoffs last season. Same team... People forget that if it wasn't for 3-4 bonehead plays we may have been in. Hopefully with an actual offensive minded coach, and some added discipline I see no reason we shouldn't be 8-8 to 9-7 range.
i think we'll go .500
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
One game out of the playoffs last season. Same team... People forget that if it wasn't for 3-4 bonehead plays we may have been in. Hopefully with an actual offensive minded coach, and some added discipline I see no reason we shouldn't be 8-8 to 9-7 range.

Dude. The Niners started last season with FIVE consecutive losses. They won two consecutive games only once last year (Broncos,Rams). They played musical chairs with a couple of sorry qbs. The Niners defense didn't scare anyone and would fold when it mattered (just ask the Falcons).

This team needs help on both sides of the ball but especially at qb. Alex was his typical medicore self and was even outplayed for a few weeks by a journeyman qb (Troy Smith).

Playing in the NFC West and finishing 6-10 was an embarrassment to this franchise.

Hiring Harbaugh and drafting Kaepernick is a good start but it's not likely to payoff until 2012 (especially with the lockout).

i am fairly optimistic i love our team and agree with you our cieling is around 11-5 but i see our floor as 7-9

keep in mind we have a new HC new OC new DC and our players havent had time to work with them and with the lockout this could be a major problem
Originally posted by YungAce:
i think we'll go .500

I agree. Lockout or not, this is a mediocre team.
The only thing different about the offense will be the coaching. It will come down to how much of an anchor was Singletary/Raye/etc. vs. how much Harbaugh can add. JH has a good track record with QBs as well as tight ends (a team strength). It's likely the playcalling will improve. And the OL could be stronger with increased experience of Iupati and Davis and a RG vet from FA to start if Rachal doesn't improve.

Still, the Niners have no receiver that can stretch the field. IMO, Morgan was starting mainly for his blocking.

The defense will be little different if Franklin or a capable FA NT isn't signed. A FA CB (Nnamdi, Joseph, Ike Taylor) could improve there. Clements' crazy gambling had not only bad immediate consequence but also was a bad influence on other CBs like T. Brown. Nate should go.
Originally posted by 49glory:
Originally posted by aman49:

lol. fair enough...

I don't know? We have huge question marks at QB, CB, FS, SS and our pass rush is far from a sure thing. Plus a RB coming off a serious injury.
Share 49ersWebzone