LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 410 users in the forums

Warren Sapp talks Aldon Smith on NFL Total Access

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I am a life long Niner fan from Missouri and also watch my Missouri Tigers religiously. I promise you guys this was absolutely no reach. Aldon Smith is the stud duck of pass rushers in this class. He is just 20 years old and can easily fit another 20 lbs on his frame. The head coach Gary Pinkel could not even believe he got Aldon Smith to Mizzou when he was recruiting. Had he stayed for one more year everyone would have heard about him and had he not had a break in his leg, he was well on his way to setting big 12 records. This kid blew up everyone in the Big 12, there was not an offensive lineman out there that could handle him. I am so happy the NINERS drafted a true gifted pass rusher. Our DBs who are pretty darn good finally wont be left on the so called Island so long. Good Luck Aldon
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by GORO:
Two very good former NFL DEFENSIVE PLAYERS giving advice and good reviews of Aldon Smith, just makes you excited for this Lock out to end.

I really hope Aldon Smith starts to work out with Justin Smith.

Team Mizzery.

Niners have the most Smiths of any team.

Justin, Aldon, Reggie, and A***
The only thing that worries me is that he is so young. You never see the Pats draft young guys and its because, when they get their money they are more likely to become complacent and not care as much.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by FreddyG:
The only thing that worries me is that he is so young. You never see the Pats draft young guys and its because, when they get their money they are more likely to become complacent and not care as much.

Well hopefully the rookies contracts arent as big as they were in the past.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by GORO:
Two very good former NFL DEFENSIVE PLAYERS giving advice and good reviews of Aldon Smith, just makes you excited for this Lock out to end.

I really hope Aldon Smith starts to work out with Justin Smith.

Team Mizzery.

Niners have the most Smiths of any team.

Justin, Aldon, Reggie, and A***

We are actually ties for most with Balt.
Originally posted by susweel:

Or we could learn how to draft better stop taking guys who have "potential" and can just play.

Or we could learn how to draft better stop taking guys who have "potential" and can just play.

facepalm.jpg

so you didnt want peterson miller quinn prince

o wait everyone
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

o wait everyone

So you are sayin that Smith was just as good as Peterson and Miller coming into the draft?

o wait everyone

So you are sayin that Smith was just as good as Peterson and Miller coming into the draft?

he may have been 15 sacks in freshman year had 2 sacks in his first game as a sophmore than got injured and came back in 3 wekks in an injury that usually takes 2 months to come back from

o wait everyone

he may have been 15 sacks in freshman year had 2 sacks in his first game as a sophmore than got injured and came back in 3 wekks in an injury that usually takes 2 months to come back from

*Sigh*

o wait everyone

*Sigh*

what von miller didnt produce till his junior year peterson didnt start till his sophmore year and play in his freshman year

aldon smith brooke the sack record in his freshman year

[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on May 7, 2011 at 16:01:16 ]
Originally posted by TheSaboteur:
Sapp did a great job showing a few plays of Aldon and why he is a beast. He has some VICIOUS hands. He can bend around the edge and he's a disruptive force wherever you put him.

LMAO at fans like Susweel "hating the pick" because "he wasnt projected to go to the 9ers" or "they had never heard of him".

Football ignorance, lol. Watch the tape crybabies.

Whatever dude nobody heard of that dude before. Everybody was expecting Prince or Quinn. He may turn out to be a good player but it was still a big reach at the time.

False. He was projected by many to go to the Redskins at 10 or Texans at 11. Many people who ACTUALLY WATCH AND EVALUATE PROSPECTS have heard of the guy. Only people who don't have a clue about the draft hadn't heard of him because ESPN wasn't slurping his jizz.

Watch the tape please.

Aldon is raw, but he was the best pass rusher in the draft.

Everytime I watched him in cfb he was a total beast
With Aldon and Kaep I'm very excited for this upcoming season. Even with the stupid lockout I can't help but be giddy to see how this team progresses with this coaching staff.

I still don't think we have a very good season because it will take some time to implement things and coaches to coach up these guys but the future is bright.

I love how well Aldon uses his hands.

For guys worried about his combine numbers they're quite similar to Tamba Hali who has done quite well after being switched over to a 3-4 OLB last 2 years.
Sapp did a great job showing a few plays of Aldon and why he is a beast. He has some VICIOUS hands. He can bend around the edge and he's a disruptive force wherever you put him.

LMAO at fans like Susweel "hating the pick" because "he wasnt projected to go to the 9ers" or "they had never heard of him".

Football ignorance, lol. Watch the tape crybabies.

Whatever dude nobody heard of that dude before. Everybody was expecting Prince or Quinn. He may turn out to be a good player but it was still a big reach at the time.

False. He was projected by many to go to the Redskins at 10 or Texans at 11. Many people who ACTUALLY WATCH AND EVALUATE PROSPECTS have heard of the guy. Only people who don't have a clue about the draft hadn't heard of him because ESPN wasn't slurping his jizz.

Watch the tape please.

Man I aint got time to watch tapes, all I go off of is what the "experts" say in their mock drafts. The dude was projected to go any where from 12-20 and we picked him at 7. I still doubt he will become an all pro player, if he does then Baalke will look a genious and if he's anything short Baalke will look like an idiot.

I was waiting for you to say you were being sarcastic but I see you never did...yikes.

Every "expert" that you love so much knew Aldon Smith and many of them had him going in the top 15 picks. The 49ers tried to trade down from #7 overall but felt they weren't getting enough in return. Kept the pick and drafted the player they felt could help the team and had a lot of potential for growth.

I personally would've preferred Robert Quinn but there were concerns with him medically and the fact that several 3-4 teams passed on him as well does add to the thought process that he was not a good fit for a 3-4 OLB conversion.

Drop the reach crap. You want a big reach? Look no further than last year with the Jaguars drafting Tyson Alualu. THAT was a reach as he was projected to be a low 1st/early 2nd round pick by almost everyone.

Know how that pick turned out? Very well. He was a very good rookie for the Jaguars.

It's not a reach if the guy produces.
Share 49ersWebzone