There are 229 users in the forums

Grade the 49ers 2011 Draft Class

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Shaj:
C, with the possibility to go to an A or an F. Ask me again in 3 years.

Day after draft - C.

If Kaepernick ends up being our franchise QB - A.

If Aldon Smith ends up being a pass-rushing terror - A+

All the other players are gravy in my opinion, mostly ST players with one or two of them becoming starters down the road.

I'm really excited about this draft class, much more than I have been about one in a long time. We just have to give these players, especially Aldon Smith, a few years to develop. I think Kaepernick seems to have everything we want in a QB and wouldn't be surprised if he supplants Alex (or other) by the end of the year. I'm very impressed with how he conducts himself and he has all the tools...

Championship
B-
  • kray28
  • Veteran
You guys will like Ronald Johnson if you haven't seen him play. Very good route runner, great hands, and excellent speed. He also returned punts for SC.

Overall, I can't really grade the draft. It wasn't a great draft to begin with, and it might take some time to see how these prospects pan out. In the case of a weak draft, you just ask how much lemonade your team made from the pile of lemons it had to choose from.

[ Edited by kray28 on May 1, 2011 at 15:02:30 ]
LOL Grade a draft where NOBODY has even had a chance to even practice yet... I wonder how many Pats fans gave them an A Grade when they got T Brady in the 80th round...LOL not much at the time but now?
NBCSports Team Draft Grades - 49ers = B+

Quote:
It's hard not to like Jim Harbaugh's first draft. Contrary to some belief, pass rush was San Francisco's most pressing need, and Aldon Smith draws DeMarcus Ware comparisons for explosive disruptiveness and a freakish wingspan. He gives the 49ers a legitimate double-digit sack threat in year one. Colin Kaepernick is set up for success under quarterback guru Harbaugh. Kendall Hunter, Colin Jones, Bruce Miller, and Mike Person were all noticeable value choices. Chris Culliver has medical and character flags. Ronald Johnson is also brittle. Curtis Holcomb was a throwaway pick.
Originally posted by PTulini:
NBCSports Team Draft Grades - 49ers = B+

Quote:
It's hard not to like Jim Harbaugh's first draft. Contrary to some belief, pass rush was San Francisco's most pressing need, and Aldon Smith draws DeMarcus Ware comparisons for explosive disruptiveness and a freakish wingspan. He gives the 49ers a legitimate double-digit sack threat in year one. Colin Kaepernick is set up for success under quarterback guru Harbaugh. Kendall Hunter, Colin Jones, Bruce Miller, and Mike Person were all noticeable value choices. Chris Culliver has medical and character flags. Ronald Johnson is also brittle. Curtis Holcomb was a throwaway pick.

I'll go with B. Throwing away a pick on the FAMU CB when we could of gotten Kynoskie is puzzling. Love the safety from TCU. Glad to hear JH is gonna give the DE we drafted to be FB a chance at OLB. Both lineman seem like good depth, one with attitude and the other was Montana's athlete of the year.

This class needs development but if we finally have the legit coaching staff we were looking for then I have no problem grabbing developmental players.
D, horrible, we drafted noone that can have an immediate impact on our team. how are we any different than last year?
The day after a draft, I try to simply look to see if we addressed team needs.

As most people are aware, we went into the draft with the key area of need being QB, CB, and Passrusher. We addressed pass rusher and QB at the top with quality(my opinion, doesn't have to be yours), and addressed CB/secondary later with quantity, hoping for one of those GB/Atl diamond-in-the-rough pass defenders maybe.

Secondary needs of interior offensive line and complimentary running back were addressed, as was the need for a more athletic FB(well, sort of). Unaddressed needs consisted mainly of interior defensive line.

I like the plan, and the fact that we addressed many of our team needs. It will take time to be able to decide if we solved any of our team needs, and I am not qualified to evaluate the talent further down in the draft (outside of UGA).

Based on addressing team needs, I give it a B. My only suggestion would have been to maybe go with a DT/NT prospect rather than the converted FB/LB.
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
D, horrible, we drafted noone that can have an immediate impact on our team. how are we any different than last year?

We were supposed to be in the playoffs last year but an idiotic coaching staff ruined that. Aside from Patrick Peterson and another year for Bradford not much has changed. If we can stay healthy and play smart we should look different.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
we have to see what happens in FA

C

we didnt get any good CB depth and we still need a legit starter

Agreed. I'm not as negative as some people but I can understand where they are coming from. We filled needs but maybe not with the players we believe are the best.

As always. Time will tell.

I think we did good. Not great, but I think there is no reason for panic.

Aldon Smith- Physical specimen DE/OLB with similar body type to Demarcus Ware, just needs to get a bit faster. Hes young though, and has yet to reach his prime. Really tough kid. Played on that broken leg just 3 weeks after injuring it? Thats a gamer. Natural pass rush skills as well.

Colin Kaepernick- I was bleh on CK throughout the past few months on Kap, didnt have him ranked high among the QB prospects, but the talent and skills are definitely there. Word is that hes a feirce competitor and very coachable kid, so im trusting JH can mold him into a good NFL QB. That gimmick offense really makes me uneasy though, and he has a tendency to hold on to the ball for too long, because hes always wanting to scramble. Been saying it all along, I think hes a project and will take a few years to get there. Only real positive is that hes a 4 year starter.

Chris Culliver- Fast, aggressive, physical cover corner with good natural instincts. Versatility, can play safety, which is where I think he will end up eventually. Really like this pick because its obvious the kind of player Harbaugh and Baalke are targetting. Physical, tough, passionate football player.

Kendall Hunter- REALLY like this pick. Not as fast as you would expect for a little guy, but fast enough and runs with some SWAGGER and attitude. He adds a dimension to our running game that we dont have. With Gore and Dixon pounding the defenses, I like bring this guy in to dance around them and take it to the house.

Ronald Johnson- Good route runner, great hands, deceptively fast. Thats all I really know about him. Looks to be a solid mid round pick.

Dont know much about the rest. I know they got that TCU safety with the booming 40 yard dash, and want to put Bruce Miller at FB??

I like this draft because, again, looks like Baalke and JH want tough, aggressive football players. I dont listen to Mayock and his comments on Culliver being a 6th rounder. He also had Blaine Gabbert rated as the best QB in the draft (laughable). Parcells likes Culliver and Aldon Smith, thats more credible to me than 100 Mike Mayocks.

B-
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Aldon Smith is the key to this draft. If he becomes the next Demarcus Ware then we get a high grade, if he becomes the next Aaron Maybin then we get a low grade.

Yes the picks this year were not names we knew but having the assistant coaches input will give each of these guys a shot to develop into good players on this team.

Under Noland and Sing they really didnot develop talent. Last year Kyle Wilson, A adams were good returners yet Sing didnot want to give them a shot.
I'd have to say C-. There are a lot of projections, projects and reaches here. A lot of guys picked on combine speed type of factors. That's usually how the Raiders draft. They are projecting a lot of guys on athletic ability and hoping the can make them into players. Plus moving guys out of their natural positions to positions they never played before. And taking a QB from a gimmick offense and trying to turn him into a pro. I have a lot of grave concerns about this draft. It could rise if some pan out. But it also could fall into the D range if a lot of the projects don't work out. My general impression at first glance is that Baalke doesn't know what is going on. I always had my concerns about him. And I'm more concerned now than ever before.
The only position of need that we didn't draft was DL. How are grades so low?
Originally posted by GORO:
Aldon Smith is the key to this draft. If he becomes the next Demarcus Ware then we get a high grade, if he becomes the next Aaron Maybin then we get a low grade.

Yes the picks this year were not names we knew but having the assistant coaches input will give each of these guys a shot to develop into good players on this team.

Under Noland and Sing they really didnot develop talent. Last year Kyle Wilson, A adams were good returners yet Sing didnot want to give them a shot.

Who the f**k is Kyle Wilson?
Share 49ersWebzone