49ers Likely Won't Try To Re-Sign LB Manny Lawson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by YungAce:
Originally posted by Trajik1:
I like Lawson I wouldn't mind getting rid of Haralson

Exactly. Keep Lawson, cut Haralson. Sign Matt Roth in free agency. Re-sign Travis La Boy to compete with Gibson for the final roster spot.

OLB: Brooks/A. Smith/La Boy
OLB: Lawson/Roth/Gibson

I think this is also an indictment of Brooks and Haralson. All three (Lawson, Brooks, Haralson) were out played by LaBoy who didn't even play every game because of concussions. If anything LaBoy beats out the other guys for starting time. Okay LaBoy is a liability in space, but Haralson and Brooks that much better? Not really.

Thoughts?

I think every OLB on the roster has been put on notice. First Smith and now Miller in the 7th round.
Brooks, Haralson, and Lawson have all failed as pass rushers. The only legit rusher the team had was Laboy and he was injuried constantly.

I would not be surprised to see Smith and Brooks as the starting OLB this season. Brooks is capable of playing the SAM spot and Smith would be the WILL.

This is my prediction as well...ManLaw fans need to ask themselves, does MANNY want to be here? The guys been playing 1/2 speed for the past two years gearing up to move on to a 4-3 team, IMHO. Fangio already noted Brooks as being the only one he mentioned as having the pass rush potential on this team but wanted to see more consistency. Last year, Brooks was in position to take over the SAM position and then ManLaw ended his hold out and he got the lacerated kidney. It seems like he lost some morale last year.

But the facts remain Brooks has the skill set to play both the SAM, WILL & MIKE positions. This is crucial to a Fangio defense where he will be moving ALL of his LBers around to create mismatches. If you look at what the Packers did with Matthews and if you watch the highlights of Aldon Smith, many of his sacks/pressures came from the inside whether it was d/t a stunt or lining up over a guard. Brooks and Smith can do this. LaBoy can not. Haralson may be able too. Lawson, I will not include in this discussion b/c I don't feel he fits nor wants to even be here.

I would not be surprised if guys like Gibson and Bruce Miller get additional attention at this position. Again, with the lack of help in the secondary, the emphasis will be even MORE on getting to the QB early and relentlessly.

LaBoy would be a good signing and a better fit in this defense under Fangio, where again, coverage "in zones" will be even less of an emphasis this year...by a mile! Brooks two best skill sets are getting after the QB, certainly against the run (2nd most TFL) and was actually very good in coverage last year (s/h had at least 3 INT's last year alone). The #1 thing Baalke and Fangio will be looking for is pass rush skills, hands-down!

I would not be surprised to see Willis rushing a ton more this year and also being moved around to create mismatches, ala Smith and Brooks. The "defensive fullback" is no longer needed in this defense. Therefore, I would not be too surprised to see the coaching staff not bring back TKO although his game is best inside the box and he does have some inside pass rush ability plus his great character. You could see a guy like Gibson be moved inside to create more havoc. Fangio will want to get his four best pass rushers on the field and mold them into his scheme. He will want this to be the next Saints four-backers who ALL were attackers and played very well within this scheme!

Having ManLaw on the opposite side of Smith would mean teams would double up on Smith and defeat the purpose of a 3-4 defense. We no longer need to be hamstrung and forced to use our LBers primarily in coverage b/c of these skill sets. I could be wrong so let's wait and see what happens but I do feel Fangio, and going off his history, his focus and as echoed by Baalke the most, will be on LBers who can get after the QB first and foremost. That leaves ManLaw out of any discussions. Period.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I just went down the line with each LB:

Lawson - Rushing the passer - Below Average, Setting the edge - Good/Great, Dropping into coverage - Good

Haralson - Rushing the passer - Average, Setting the edge - Below Average , Dropping into coverage - Average

Brooks - Rushing the passer - Above Average, Setting the edge - Average , Dropping into coverage - Below Average

LaBoy - Rushing the passer - Good , Setting the edge - Below Average , Dropping into coverage - Below Average

A little off, my friend.

Lawson - Rushing the passer - Way Below Average, Setting the edge - Good/Great in a Nolan/Manusky defense where two defenders are tied up by Sopoaga, Dropping into coverage - Good but not required in a Fangio defense - LBers only drop back in zones for confusion and only for a second or two

Haralson - Rushing the passer - Average off the bench, Setting the edge - Average , Dropping into coverage - Poor

Brooks - Rushing the passer - Above Average but needs to work on stamina and consistency; will be more motivated if he has a legit chance to start and is in a defense that highlights his skill set better, Setting the edge - Above Average (more TFL than Lawson in 1/3 the snaps) , Dropping into coverage - Above Average - had same # as INT' as Lawson and could have had 2 more easily if he could catch

LaBoy - Rushing the passer - Abover Average, Setting the edge - Below Average , Dropping into coverage - Below Average

FYI: There will be no more predictable 3rd down pass rushers!!!

[ Edited by NCommand on May 3, 2011 at 08:00:47 ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

Lawson - Rushing the passer - Below Average, Setting the edge - Good/Great, Dropping into coverage - Good

Haralson - Rushing the passer - Average, Setting the edge - Below Average , Dropping into coverage - Average

Brooks - Rushing the passer - Above Average, Setting the edge - Average , Dropping into coverage - Below Average

LaBoy - Rushing the passer - Good , Setting the edge - Below Average , Dropping into coverage - Below Average

A little off, my friend.

Lawson - Rushing the passer - Way Below Average, Setting the edge - Good/Great in a Nolan/Manusky defense where two defenders are tied up by Sopoaga, Dropping into coverage - Good but not required in a Fangio defense - LBers only drop back in zones for confusion and only for a second or two

Haralson - Rushing the passer - Average off the bench, Setting the edge - Average , Dropping into coverage - Poor

Brooks - Rushing the passer - Above Average but needs to work on stamina and consistency; will be more motivated if he has a legit chance to start and is in a defense that highlights his skill set better, Setting the edge - Above Average (more TFL than Lawson in 1/3 the snaps) , Dropping into coverage - Above Average - had same # as INT' as Lawson and could have had 2 more easily if he could catch

LaBoy - Rushing the passer - Abover Average, Setting the edge - Below Average , Dropping into coverage - Below Average

I think you're higher on Brooks than I am. I kept seeing Brooks "looking lost"; however, he has the most (2nd most now! ) passrushing potential on the team.

I also think LaBoy is better rushing the passer than you give him credit for. I will admit he looks really small compared to the OTs but he always seems to find the QB.

But by your estimate, would Lawson or Haralson be the guy to get cut (or not restructured, depending on how the CBA plays out)?
Hmm...weird that they wouldn't try. We could always use another DB with Coverage Skills. With Lawson's height and speed, he'd be like a taller Revis.

Just imagine all the nickname threads that we can start now!!

A little off, my friend.

I think you're higher on Brooks than I am. I kept seeing Brooks "looking lost"; however, he has the most (2nd most now! ) passrushing potential on the team.

I also think LaBoy is better rushing the passer than you give him credit for. I will admit he looks really small compared to the OTs but he always seems to find the QB.

But by your estimate, would Lawson or Haralson be the guy to get cut (or not restructured, depending on how the CBA plays out)?

Hmmm, I don't know if I've ever seen him lost but then again, when Manusky describes the safety position in his defense as taking three years to learn, while Seattle has no issues starting a rookie safety successfully, that should tell you something right there. Perhaps MANY of our players with the most potential and upside have been shut out of an oportunity to shine b/c of the veterans ahead of them and the complexity of the defensive playbook an scheme.

Oh, I like LaBoy. I noted he is an above average pass rusher, no doubt and I think he could benefit even more under Fangio! But he isn't half the run defender Brooks is and is downright terrible in coverage which again, is a non-issue now under Fangio. While Baalke went with prototypical-sized players, for Fangio, I'm sure it's more about a skill set that can not be taught and that is a pass rush, something Lawson should have proven to us after all these years and something Aldon Smith notes is a "natural" skill. It's like speed...you just can't teach that.

As far as Lawson, the team had no intention of signing him last off season when he held out in protest, or during the whole season and the tender doesn't mean much with the CBA either. With the heavy focus on pass rush (see first pick in the draft) I'm sure Lawson sees the writing on the wall and honstly, after last off season, it just seemed to me that he wanted out anyhow. This is no surprise to anyone. Him staying here would be a much bigger surprise at this juncture.

Haralson is already signed LT for quite a while as is Brooks. The team could save a lot of money by letting Lawson walk and if they decrease Haralson's role (remember, he WAS very successful off the bench), his contract could also be restructured to match. Either way, we have plenty of cap room!
lawson had four years to get it right and was never anything more than "good in coverage". couldn't rush the passer at all.
Originally posted by LloydsKittyKat:
lawson had four years to get it right and was never anything more than "good in coverage". couldn't rush the passer at all.

he was also great in persuit and in the run he also flushed the qb out a lot its hard to get sacks from non blind side of the qb

he was never a great pass rusher he was only ok

but he was excellent against the run and in coverage
I guess I'm not down on Manny Lawson as some of you are. I rather go Lawson, McDonald (passing downs)/Sopoaga, Franklin, Smith, and Smith. Manny has never been asked to just rush the passer. I believe Manny can get 6-10 sacks per year and 3-5 deflections. When Lawson was drafted by the Niners we all knew he was under sized for an OLB. Since being drafted each year Manny has put on weight. If he comes back 5-10 pounds heavier I think he'll be ideal size for a good OLB. Another thing, I don't believe the 49ers have used Lawson right. I think Manny needs to rush the passer more than dropping back into coverage. I would like to see the 49ers use Lawson's athletic ability by using him in stunts more so than just coming off the edge.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
See Ya Manny " I Cant get to the QB" Lawson

you wont be missed around here........

This

i'm down with yall I would take him over Haralson.

Has anybody ever people say Clay Matthews, Lamar Woodley, James Harrison, Shaun Phillips, Tamba Ali, or Orakpo are good in coverage? Nope b/c they doing their jobs and sacking the quarterback. Folks haven't seen a real sack artists in so long that, we are happy that a guy is good in coverage when we don't need him in coverage. We need him to sack the quarterback, and play the run.

Yeah im sorry but we have to erase the dbl standard for all players now. With Manny we have to be real, just like with VD. VD was the best blocking TE in the league over the past 2 years, but that wasnt what he was drafted for. Only now after years does he now get in on offense. And he still has some things to work on.

Manny is excellent in dropping into coverage, but in soo many games, we needed a rusher instead of an OLB dropping into the backfield. Our lack of pressure at QB, cost us a handful of games last year. Doesnt matter how many points your O does or doesnt score, because u cant stop the opposing team anyway.

So for the reason we drafted him, he just may well be in the Bust category. Which was, we drafted him to be a beast at sacking the Qb, not the best coverage line backer.

But hey, you never know, maybe Fangio will see sumthing in him, like supposedly Harbaugh does

I hope so
smith willis spikes/bowman lawson

justin smith RJF/ ? soapoaga

great front 7 just need a NT RJF showed flashes last tear but it was preseason

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
I guess I'm not down on Manny Lawson as some of you are. I rather go Lawson, McDonald (passing downs)/Sopoaga, Franklin, Smith, and Smith. Manny has never been asked to just rush the passer. I believe Manny can get 6-10 sacks per year and 3-5 deflections. When Lawson was drafted by the Niners we all knew he was under sized for an OLB. Since being drafted each year Manny has put on weight. If he comes back 5-10 pounds heavier I think he'll be ideal size for a good OLB. Another thing, I don't believe the 49ers have used Lawson right. I think Manny needs to rush the passer more than dropping back into coverage. I would like to see the 49ers use Lawson's athletic ability by using him in stunts more so than just coming off the edge.

Good post. Totally agree.

Exactly. Keep Lawson, cut Haralson. Sign Matt Roth in free agency. Re-sign Travis La Boy to compete with Gibson for the final roster spot.

I think this is also an indictment of Brooks and Haralson. All three (Lawson, Brooks, Haralson) were out played by LaBoy who didn't even play every game because of concussions. If anything LaBoy beats out the other guys for starting time. Okay LaBoy is a liability in space, but Haralson and Brooks that much better? Not really.

Thoughts?

I think every OLB on the roster has been put on notice. First Smith and now Miller in the 7th round.
Brooks, Haralson, and Lawson have all failed as pass rushers. The only legit rusher the team had was Laboy and he was injuried constantly.

I would not be surprised to see Smith and Brooks as the starting OLB this season. Brooks is capable of playing the SAM spot and Smith would be the WILL.

This is my prediction as well...ManLaw fans need to ask themselves, does MANNY want to be here? The guys been playing 1/2 speed for the past two years gearing up to move on to a 4-3 team, IMHO. Fangio already noted Brooks as being the only one he mentioned as having the pass rush potential on this team but wanted to see more consistency. Last year, Brooks was in position to take over the SAM position and then ManLaw ended his hold out and he got the lacerated kidney. It seems like he lost some morale last year.

But the facts remain Brooks has the skill set to play both the SAM, WILL & MIKE positions. This is crucial to a Fangio defense where he will be moving ALL of his LBers around to create mismatches. If you look at what the Packers did with Matthews and if you watch the highlights of Aldon Smith, many of his sacks/pressures came from the inside whether it was d/t a stunt or lining up over a guard. Brooks and Smith can do this. LaBoy can not. Haralson may be able too. Lawson, I will not include in this discussion b/c I don't feel he fits nor wants to even be here.

I would not be surprised if guys like Gibson and Bruce Miller get additional attention at this position. Again, with the lack of help in the secondary, the emphasis will be even MORE on getting to the QB early and relentlessly.

LaBoy would be a good signing and a better fit in this defense under Fangio, where again, coverage "in zones" will be even less of an emphasis this year...by a mile! Brooks two best skill sets are getting after the QB, certainly against the run (2nd most TFL) and was actually very good in coverage last year (s/h had at least 3 INT's last year alone). The #1 thing Baalke and Fangio will be looking for is pass rush skills, hands-down!

I would not be surprised to see Willis rushing a ton more this year and also being moved around to create mismatches, ala Smith and Brooks. The "defensive fullback" is no longer needed in this defense. Therefore, I would not be too surprised to see the coaching staff not bring back TKO although his game is best inside the box and he does have some inside pass rush ability plus his great character. You could see a guy like Gibson be moved inside to create more havoc. Fangio will want to get his four best pass rushers on the field and mold them into his scheme. He will want this to be the next Saints four-backers who ALL were attackers and played very well within this scheme!

Having ManLaw on the opposite side of Smith would mean teams would double up on Smith and defeat the purpose of a 3-4 defense. We no longer need to be hamstrung and forced to use our LBers primarily in coverage b/c of these skill sets. I could be wrong so let's wait and see what happens but I do feel Fangio, and going off his history, his focus and as echoed by Baalke the most, will be on LBers who can get after the QB first and foremost. That leaves ManLaw out of any discussions. Period.

Why would anyone double up on Aldon Smith, he is unproven? Hey, go right ahead and double Aldon Smith. I'll take a one on one match up with Justin Smith on any Sunday. [/b]

Thoughts?

Why would anyone double up on Aldon Smith, he is unproven? Hey, go right ahead and double Aldon Smith. I'll take a one on one match up with Justin Smith on any Sunday. [/b]

aldon smith and justin smith both rushing the blind side is gonna be something to watch
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Thoughts?

aldon smith and justin smith both rushing the blind side is gonna be something to watch

No kidding, eh? Imagine in nickel packages, lining Justin up at end and Aldon in the three tech. WTF are o-linemen going to do? Justin Will maul the tackle one on one and of the focus on him, Aldon will pwn the guard and kill the QB.

So much potential! HYPE!

Oh, and we don't exactly have anyone much better than Lawson at OLB, NC. Sorry, but Brooks isn't going to scare people as a starter, either. If he did, he'd have just been the starter at WILL last season instead of a situational player and we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
No kidding, eh? Imagine in nickel packages, lining Justin up at end and Aldon in the three tech. WTF are o-linemen going to do? Justin Will maul the tackle one on one and of the focus on him, Aldon will pwn the guard and kill the QB.

So much potential! HYPE!

Oh, and we don't exactly have anyone much better than Lawson at OLB, NC. Sorry, but Brooks isn't going to scare people as a starter, either. If he did, he'd have just been the starter at WILL last season instead of a situational player and we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Oh Wodwo, you always make me laugh!!!

Yeah, I've been hearing Smith will be tried at SAM, the WILL, etc. Essentially, he's going to play where Fangio thinks he'll be most effective and that will be dictated by our opponents and where their weaknesses are (inside, off LT, RT, etc.). Fangio will try to exploit those much like how Harbaugh will be doing for our offense...attacking the weaknesses, ala Walsh-like; we can only hope!

But as to your point that made me laugh, obviously, and hopefully we'll see the big difference in 2011 (if we have a season), coaching was the biggest road block this team faced last year (and in previous years). After 5 years, ManLaw is about as good as he's ever going to be even with the same DC for his entire career and essentially, same cast around him. Fangio won't be able to do much more with him. But with guys such as Smith, Brooks, Willis, Gibson, etc. the sky may be the limit. I think, if he is all that is advertised, you will also see a totally different secondary by scheme alone with virtually no changes in the secondary, perhaps.

Either way, this is going to be fun to watch and see how the chips fall. But one thing we DO know is that Baalke loves his pass rushers as does Fangio and no doubt, Harbaugh and his offense will benefit the most from a defense that can get off the field quickly, so what does that mean for Lawson esp. when you consider what we'll need to pay to retain Smith, Franklin and others.

The FO did not see Lawson as a priority to sign LT a year before his contract expired like it has with many other Niners who we saw LT potential and rising skill sets. We didn't see him as a priority in the off season in his final year, during his contract season last year (where players play their best) and do you think we will once FA contracts can be addressed again? We shall see!
Share 49ersWebzone