There are 163 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Round 1, #7, the San Francisco 49ers selects Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri

• cciowa
  • Veteran
do not feel bad,, we all have made dire predictions that never came true on a couple of occasions we have all slightly reacted once or twice . we have all acted kind of crazy and nonsensical rarely
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I don't think any pass rusher would have been considered a great pick by this board. I say to hell with it, we finally addressed the position.

Keep in mind we have like 11-12 other draft picks to go.

I hope he is a beast!

Just sayin
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Agree, almost all positions in a 3-4 are interchangeable and while Aldon may start at SAM, he will be moved all over the field, including inside to attack weaknesses (ala Matthews).

It depends on the scheme. Old school Parcells style two gap is less flexible. Better pass rusher goes on the weak side better run defender on the strong. Newer attacking one gap zone blitz schemes are far more flexible. Obviously we have a new school philosophy with Fangio.

I think Fangio and Baalke saw exactly what they wanted in Aldon with his versatility. I totally agree that they'll move him all over to create mismatches. I mean... the kid played the 3 technique extremely well... I thought he looked better rushing from there than outside!

He rushed standing up in two point as well. He was dropped back into coverage... he's extremely versatile. Just watch his instincts on the interception his first game back three weeks after breaking his leg! Man, you could really tell his leg was hurting him on the return, though. Tough mother f**ker!

I'm excited about this pick. He's got violent rip moves and stacks and sheds, too. He's not the best tackler, though.... Not a big deal, the coaches will get on that, I'm sure. He also doesn't have the bend that Quinn does (It was Aldon or Quinn at that spot for me the way the draft went), but he's got some crazy sidestep quickness that he uses with his LONG (35 1/2'') arms. He's got a ton of potential, IMO. If anything, Fangio knows what to do with linebackers in the 3-4. I can't see this turning out to be a bad pick. He even sounds like a good smart kid in his interviews.

I are hype.

Aldon is having a great season & hope it continues the rest of the season!
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
fml

Originally posted by 9ersnation:
Don't get how you pass on Prince. Disappointed big time

Originally posted by bigmike55:

Originally posted by Fresniner:
Aldon Smith?? Really? Ughhh

Originally posted by NavyNinerFan:
Does anybody know why? I did not expect this guy. WTF???

Originally posted by BMoore56:
Who the f*ck is this guy????? i feel like the f*ckin raiders ughhhh!!!!!

Originally posted by zero:
who the fu(k is this guy???

veeerrry disappointed with this

Originally posted by SJniner7:
jeez! Was he even ranked?

Is this Kentwan Balmer 2.0?

Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

I'm more angry at the fact that we didn't trade down to get him... that was horrible

Originally posted by Born_Niner:
...why? this is horse-ish

Originally posted by Juradon:
Was he really the best DE they could have drafted? This is confusing because there were other players rated higher as DE's. He is probably too young to make a difference in his first two years, he's a Soph?

Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
And this is why we have sucked for so long

Originally posted by susweel:
f**k you Baalke, Im gonna kick your ass.

Somehow this just never gets old.....the level of people freaking out on the Webzone was absolutely epic!
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
LOL at DonnieDarko editing his comments.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
fml

Originally posted by 9ersnation:
Don't get how you pass on Prince. Disappointed big time

Originally posted by bigmike55:

Originally posted by Fresniner:
Aldon Smith?? Really? Ughhh

Originally posted by NavyNinerFan:
Does anybody know why? I did not expect this guy. WTF???

Originally posted by BMoore56:
Who the f*ck is this guy????? i feel like the f*ckin raiders ughhhh!!!!!

Originally posted by zero:
who the fu(k is this guy???

veeerrry disappointed with this

Originally posted by SJniner7:
jeez! Was he even ranked?

Is this Kentwan Balmer 2.0?

Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

I'm more angry at the fact that we didn't trade down to get him... that was horrible

Originally posted by Born_Niner:
...why? this is horse-ish

Originally posted by Juradon:
Was he really the best DE they could have drafted? This is confusing because there were other players rated higher as DE's. He is probably too young to make a difference in his first two years, he's a Soph?

Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
And this is why we have sucked for so long

Originally posted by susweel:
f**k you Baalke, Im gonna kick your ass.

Somehow this just never gets old.....the level of people freaking out on the Webzone was absolutely epic!

I was the first one to post when the draft pick happened. I was so mad. My roommates were there with me and asked me "Who?". All I could say was "I have no f**king idea.

However, about halfway through the his first season, I made up for it. In went out and bought his jersey. I'm glad I'm not in the front office. I wear his jersey most game days (I've only got a Willis, Crabtree and Smith jersey). Love the guy. Quickly becoming my favorite Niner.
Bust! ...in the hall of fame.
https
Originally posted by jimrat:

Oh, it has been saved for eternity.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko: we suck so hard wtf didnt we take cam jordan?
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat:

Oh, it has been saved for eternity.

Quote:

Originally posted by DonnieDarko: we suck so hard wtf didnt we take cam jordan?

LOL he thought he was being smart. I even put up a WTF
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
https

Both these guys came off as major dumbasses, so did Pete Prisco and a few of the other "genius" draftniks.

Both these guys came off as major dumbasses, so did Pete Prisco and a few of the other "genius" draftniks.

To be fair, even the very best talent evaluators are wrong pretty often.