There are 164 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Round 1, #7, the San Francisco 49ers selects Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri

9. Which defensive player will be the biggest X factor? Aldon Smith. The San Francisco 49ers outside linebacker should've made the Pro Bowl after producing 14 sacks in his rookie season. The people who overlooked him for that honor should have no problem noticing him when the playoffs begin. Smith is the kind of pass-rushing weapon that is vital for any defense in a season in which quarterbacks have dominated. A raw talent when the 49ers drafted him seventh overall, he's grown up faster than imagined, as proven by his 6.5 sacks over his past five games. Smith already has four multiple-sack games this season. He'll have at least one more in the playoffs.
have to re-watch the play but i thought maybe he could gravy train 1/2 a sack on the justin smith sack
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Quote:
9. Which defensive player will be the biggest X factor? Aldon Smith. The San Francisco 49ers outside linebacker should've made the Pro Bowl after producing 14 sacks in his rookie season. The people who overlooked him for that honor should have no problem noticing him when the playoffs begin. Smith is the kind of pass-rushing weapon that is vital for any defense in a season in which quarterbacks have dominated. A raw talent when the 49ers drafted him seventh overall, he's grown up faster than imagined, as proven by his 6.5 sacks over his past five games. Smith already has four multiple-sack games this season. He'll have at least one more in the playoffs.

Nice
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/56489/49ers-aldon-smith-top-defensive-rookie

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7422931/cam-newton-aldon-smith-worthy-rookie-accolades

NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year: 49ers LB Aldon Smith

I really didn't think I would do it. I thought for sure Miller had this honor locked up. But Miller's play and production fell off a cliff after his thumb surgery, and, although Smith played far fewer snaps and is more one-dimensional than Miller, I had to give him this award.

I actually considered giving it to Texans DE J.J. Watt, as well, but, in the end, this is a passing league and the pressure Smith can put on a quarterback was just too overwhelming to ignore.

Smith has a fantastic body type for rushing the passer off the edge. He is tall with very long arms with big strides. Smith is built for speed. But he also uses those long arms extremely well to hand fight and to keep blockers away from his body. Many players with Smith's dimensions lack power, but that simply isn't the case here. He is a natural knee bender who plays low with leverage, and he can convert his fantastic initial explosion off the snap into bull-rush power. He is adept with stunting and has more than just speed and a bull rush in his repertoire.

Smith was not a full-time player as a rookie, and he still needs work on early downs against the run as well as on his coverage skills. But those things will come before long. Smith is just too good not to be on the field full time.
[ Edited by PTulini on Jan 4, 2012 at 6:23 PM ]
If he isn't the DROY then he got f**king ripped off big time
Just re-read the very first few pages of this thread. Lol.
Originally posted by King49er:
If he isn't the DROY then he got f**king ripped off big time

Von Miller will get it simply because he was an every down player. Aldon was situational. Which IMO speaks volumes. Played less than half the snaps of Von Miller, yet had more sacks.
Originally posted by PTulini:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/56489/49ers-aldon-smith-top-defensive-rookie

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7422931/cam-newton-aldon-smith-worthy-rookie-accolades

NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year: 49ers LB Aldon Smith

I really didn't think I would do it. I thought for sure Miller had this honor locked up. But Miller's play and production fell off a cliff after his thumb surgery, and, although Smith played far fewer snaps and is more one-dimensional than Miller, I had to give him this award.

I actually considered giving it to Texans DE J.J. Watt, as well, but, in the end, this is a passing league and the pressure Smith can put on a quarterback was just too overwhelming to ignore.

Smith has a fantastic body type for rushing the passer off the edge. He is tall with very long arms with big strides. Smith is built for speed. But he also uses those long arms extremely well to hand fight and to keep blockers away from his body. Many players with Smith's dimensions lack power, but that simply isn't the case here. He is a natural knee bender who plays low with leverage, and he can convert his fantastic initial explosion off the snap into bull-rush power. He is adept with stunting and has more than just speed and a bull rush in his repertoire.

Smith was not a full-time player as a rookie, and he still needs work on early downs against the run as well as on his coverage skills. But those things will come before long. Smith is just too good not to be on the field full time.
Wow. What a great summary of a great year for Aldon.

And its pretty clear: the writer (like the rest of us) is just now seeing what Baalke, Harbaugh, et al. saw back when they drafted Aldon at #7.

So we not only got a great player at #7, we also have evidence that the front office and coaching staff are pretty good at what they do as well. Bodes really well for the future!
Originally posted by SK49R:
Looks like an anorexic manny Lawson!

Well he just got named Rookie of the Month again, DROY is the next stop, then Super Bowl winner on Feb.5th... not a bad rookie year
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HoneyBadger49er:
Well he just got named Rookie of the Month again, DROY is the next stop, then Super Bowl winner on Feb.5th... not a bad rookie year

Originally posted by HoneyBadger49er:

Didn't the same thing happen to BY too?
Not in my wildest dreams did I think Aldon would already be the player that he is. Big time props to Baalke for drafting him, Im sorry Baalke I was wrong about you being the same as McClueless.
I heard he's not gonna win DROY because he's not a starter and not an every down player......which is bogus too me..........
He got rookie of the month twice this year, how many did Von Miller get?
[ Edited by DaDivaRecieva15 on Jan 5, 2012 at 2:19 PM ]