LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 249 users in the forums

Round 1, #7, the San Francisco 49ers selects Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pakalolo415:
i had a dream last night we traded aldon smith for a cornerback... wtf was i smoking

Hmmmm...pakalolo?
super star in the making , DMVP , other teams are double teaming him already , i wounder what is he going to do in the playoffs and next year after he gets the 17th sacks this year , i think he will have 3 sacks this game they have no OL and they wont run on us so unleach Aldon !
Originally posted by samoan49er:
Originally posted by pakalolo415:
i had a dream last night we traded aldon smith for a cornerback... wtf was i smoking

Hmmmm...pakalolo?

ahahahahah i see you uce!
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Two surprising things about Aldon Smith's could-be rookie sack record: He doesn't start and he didn't get his first sack until Week 4. (!!!)

20 sacks next year?

http://twitter.com/#!/mattbarrows/status/152819739566157824

That is amazing. I hope the Matts and Grant can start getting some noise for Aldon's DROY campaign.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
He needs to be DROY. If he played for any east coast team what he did against PIT on MNF would already have him as a shoo in.

He's about to break the sack record for a rookie and he doesn't even start. This guy is the next Patrick Willis at OLB.
Originally posted by Antix:
He needs to be DROY. If he played for any east coast team what he did against PIT on MNF would already have him as a shoo in.

He's about to break the sack record for a rookie and he doesn't even start. This guy is the next Patrick Willis at OLB.

this pick alone makes me have so much faith in baalke, it helps immensely that culliver, hunter, and miller made huge impacts this yr. LOL i just remember how everybody including me were pissed off at jed for his so called GM search
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
this pick alone makes me have so much faith in baalke, it helps immensely that culliver, hunter, and miller made huge impacts this yr. LOL i just remember how everybody including me were pissed off at jed for his so called GM search

Bruce and Kendall has made no impact whatsoever.

Yea, I think Aldon was the right pick at #7
1000 dollars says says he gets at least 2 sacks on Sunday.
Originally posted by HoneyBadger49er:

I'll take the under, and he still get the record. 3-12 games that he got 2 or more sacks.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Originally posted by HoneyBadger49er:

I'll take the under, and he still get the record. 3-12 games that he got 2 or more sacks.

2 1/2 sacks

Next season does Aldon make the transition to an OLB or does he play a DE in the 3-4 on base downs or do the niners switch to a 4-3 to keep him on the field more?
Originally posted by fister30:
Next season does Aldon make the transition to an OLB or does he play a DE in the 3-4 on base downs or do the niners switch to a 4-3 to keep him on the field more?

He should be a full time OLB in the 3-4. He's already been getting some reps during the games. We aren't going to switch the whole defense to 3-4. Pretty sure Fangio won't like that.
Originally posted by fister30:

Elite pass rushing OLBs in the the 3-4, like D. Ware, only drop into coverage somewhere between 15-20% of the snaps anyway. Over the course of a game where he would be on the field 60-70 plays, that means he's only dropping 10-15 times a game. I believe he's plenty capable of doing that at this point. Would he be great at it initially? Probably not, but he's show some ability to do it already in limited opportunities, plus he'd be on the field a lot more, meaning more opportunities to do his main job, which is get after the opposing QB.
Fangio is able to build his defense around Willis and Aldon Smith. That's the run and the pass right there respectively in those 2 guys We're going to be good on defense for a while. Scary good!

Aldon played TE in high school and aspired to be a TE in college. Pretty sure he can catch the ball. Why not put this dude in the end zone for a TD pass. Do it Roman and Harbaugh !!!!
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 1, 2012 at 7:02 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone