There are 269 users in the forums

Round 1, #7, the San Francisco 49ers selects Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We could not move back, teams hate trading up too high to get a draft pick. You basically have to take it up the butt like Atlanta did and give up two years worth of top picks pay the guy an arm and a leg and PRAY he pans out. The Vikings, Seahawks, and Chiefs even had trouble trading out of late round picks. The Titans had no reason to trade out of 8 they knew Locker would be there, Cowboys had no reason to trade out of 9 they knew tyron smith would be there, the redskins wanted to move back not foward. Smith would have been gone at 11 if we traded back any further than that. Smith was the best pick since Peterson was not there.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by Otter:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If I'm later proven wrong that'll be great, but I highly doubt I will. I HATE THIS PICK.

Because? Who would you have picked?

Fresh Prince of Nebraska. I would have only been happy with Smith if we traded back and acquired more picks.

And what happens when he gets beat because his DL puts no pressure on the QB??

Why is that gonna happen? Maybe they could find a pass rusher somewhere else. I think Prince can be a shut down corner and those are hard to find. And like I said, why couldn't they maneuver a trade back and acquire more picks if they wanted Smith?

Why couldn't they move back? Maybe no one wanted to move up.

Other teams seem to be able to trade back. But if we couldn't, I wanted Prince.

I wanted Prince too, but i ain't b*tchin. We needed a Pass Rusher, we got one. I'm happy.

is it "b*tchin to not like the pick?? lol, ok lets love every pick regardless.

b***h move
Originally posted by Otter:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If I'm later proven wrong that'll be great, but I highly doubt I will. I HATE THIS PICK.

Because? Who would you have picked?

Fresh Prince of Nebraska. I would have only been happy with Smith if we traded back and acquired more picks.

And what happens when he gets beat because his DL puts no pressure on the QB??

Why is that gonna happen? Maybe they could find a pass rusher somewhere else. I think Prince can be a shut down corner and those are hard to find. And like I said, why couldn't they maneuver a trade back and acquire more picks if they wanted Smith?

Why couldn't they move back? Maybe no one wanted to move up.

Other teams seem to be able to trade back. But if we couldn't, I wanted Prince.

I wanted Prince too, but i ain't b*tchin. We needed a Pass Rusher, we got one. I'm happy.

is it "b*tchin to not like the pick?? lol, ok lets love every pick regardless.

b***h move

Is this guy gonna be our next Charles Haley?

And by next Charles Haley I don't mean he's the guy who's gonna be jacking off during team meetings or any of that nonsense.
Here is a shocking statistic: in 2009, 6 BCS players got at least 60 tackles and 11 sacks: Ndamukong Suh, Iowa defensive end Adrian Clayborn, Wisconsin end O’Brien Schoefield, Purdue end Ryan Kerrigan, Oklahoma end Jeremy Beal, and … Missouri Redshirt Freshman end Aldon Smith? Yep, it’s true. Aldon Smith was the most productive Freshman in the NCAA in 2009, and I think the most underrated player in the FBS (though not the most underrated draft prospect).
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I will reserve criticism of this pick. Here's the thing, this guy was picked 7th overall. He better turn in to a hell of a passrusher.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by JDeezy:
I don't mind the pick, it's just confusing as hell. First of all, they could've traded down and still gotten. Second, how many people had him ahead of Quinn as the second OLB on the board after Miller? I like the fact that he played on a broken leg last year. Shows some heart and some balls that can be added to the team. I don't like the fact that we're sitting there without a corner and perhaps more importantly we're going to need a nose tackle too. Say you trade down and he's gone you can still take Phil Taylor and shore up a need. At least it serves a need and we finally say bye to Lawson's underachieving ass. As for the second round, I can't say how imperative it is that we take a CB. Forgot Kap, i don't think Dalton will be there. We need to take either Aaron Williams or Ras-I Dowling. Then in the 3rd we can take Stanzi if he's still there and then take another rb in the 4th. While the Aldon Smith pick is underwhelming much like last years two first rounders, if he's as steady as Iupati was we won't be complaining too much.

same could have been said about Tennesee at 8. If they wanted Locker that much why not trade back? Ballke said that they knew ATL wanted to trade up, but the Falcons moved ahead of them. Maybe SF and Tenn couldn't find suitable trade partners.

ITA. I hate when people say "we could have traded back" when they have no idea if a trade was possible. And apparently trades aren't this smooth process - ala Baltimore and Chicago.

Lol amusing, how is it the good teams always find a trade partner and we're left reaching? My point is if you have to trade back and miss out on this guy there are better value guys out there. I'm glad we addressed a need, but to me its settling. We have a rotation at OLB. It sucks but at least its a rotation. We have no rotation at CB. We have 1 CB in Spencer who's a top 4 corner on any other team in the nfl. That's what I'm saying.

Aldon gets no love. welcome to the niners Aldon!!! i think hes gonna be a savage out there for us next to willis, spikes and lawson or whoever his replacement may be. were gonna have a beast linebacking corps
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I will reserve criticism of this pick. Here's the thing, this guy was picked 7th overall. He better turn in to a hell of a passrusher.

This is the problem. The spot, not the player.
lol the people who like the Aldon Smith pick are already nearly as fervent in stifling opposing opinions as Alex supporters. I don't know what it is about us and A. Smiths. Hopefully this one will prove us doubters wrong.

I hope he's not non-functional for a few years until he gets it.....

watch us switch out defensive coordinators year in and year out for the next seven years...
National Football Post on Aldon Smith, rated #9 on their value board:

A tall, extremely long-armed defensive lineman with an athletic-looking frame and impressive explosion in all areas of his game. Possesses natural bend when asked to sit into his stance, coils up well and consistently takes a positive first step off the line and does a nice job keeping his pad level down off the football. Is a bit inconsistent extending his arms into blocks when run at and at times seems content to simply drop his shoulder and drive his way toward the football. However, seems to really have good instincts when asked to find the football and is very violent with his arms when asked to shed blocks. At times will allow defenders to gain leverage under him and can be initially driven off the ball. But, fights hard in order to disengage, uses his length and violent hands well to shed and possesses impressive closing range in pursuit. Is also very sudden and fluid for his size and has the footwork/balance to cleanly side step defenders who are trying to get into his frame, keep himself clean and close quickly on the ball carrier. Breaks down well in space and uses his long pterodactyl-like arms to wrap on his man.

Is a gifted pass rusher who fires off the snap quickly and has a real savvy about his game getting after the quarterback. Plays from both a three- and four-point stance and does a great job quickly getting into the pad level of opposing linemen in the bull rush and initially driving them into the backfield. Allows his pad level to rise, which negates some of his strength when trying to finish, but is long enough to shed. Does a nice job using his long arms and violent hands in order to keep himself clean, loves to work the club to the outside, slowly playing it off the snap before accelerating past the tackle. He also has impressive lateral fluidity in balance working the inside arm over and club off his speed rush in order to cleanly side step blocks and accelerate toward the quarterback. Allows his pad level to get upright again once he gains a step and can be slowed through contact, but the motor seems to run well all the time. Has the ability to drop his pad level when flattening out around the edge once he gains a step, but doesn't often simply work the speed rush to the corner, likes to change gears and directions in order to reach the QB.

Also, is a bear to block inside as a down defensive tackle, played some three-technique and has the first step to shoot gaps inside, but it's his lateral suddenness and length that allows him to consistently slip blocks inside and accelerate toward the quarterback.

Missed some time in 2010 with a fractured fibula in a non-weight bearing bone in his leg and will need to check out medically.

Impression: A downright dominant defensive lineman with an impressive physical skill set and great length. Showcases impress savvy, fluidity and violence as a pass rusher and should be able to further develop in the run game and mature into a potential Pro Bowl-caliber NFL defensive lineman.

[empty]

[empty]
He's versatile. Pretty much an Andre Carter.IMO

We can move him to OLB if we wanted to.

I don't like it , but whatevs.

Noob sh*t by Harbro.
lol the people who like the Aldon Smith pick are already nearly as fervent in stifling opposing opinions as Alex supporters. I don't know what it is about us and A. Smiths. Hopefully this one will prove us doubters wrong.

lol ur entitled to ur opinion. i just see a guy who was amazing his freshman year and played with a broken leg last year and still got 5.5 sacks, has good size and quickness at OLB at 6'4" 265lbs and has huge arms for manhandling people and swatting passes. i didnt have him circled on any draftboard i saw or thought about but in hindsight it looks like a great pick. we'll see when football comes around how beast or non beastly he is lol
Every report I read about the kid keeps coming back to one thing: his lateral movement and body coordination. This is a very good thing in a pass rusher, kind of the anti-Manny Lawson.

Manny Lawson has great straight line speed, but he lacks the agility to be able to win battles in close quarters with o-linemen.
Share 49ersWebzone