Round 1, #7, the San Francisco 49ers selects Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i want aaron williams with our next pick we need a CB
Originally posted by bigmike55:

The fade is killin' em!

Originally posted by NinerGM:

LOL!! The Gumby Fade is coming back!!! Made popular by Bobby Brown in the late 80s.

lmfao
Originally posted by niner4life21:

Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

Going up against Nate Solder and others in his first year.

Originally posted by miked1978:
Did Smith visit the niners?

yup
  • RedAu
  • Veteran
For the most part Im ok with this pick, what worries me is the Niners brass angry reaction prior to the pick (this was mentioned in another thread).

If they really wanted this guy why would they even consider trading down if HOU was (supposedly) gonna grab him?

Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Originally posted by NinerGM:

LOL!! The Gumby Fade is coming back!!! Made popular by Bobby Brown in the late 80s.

lmfao

dude better be awesome with 4 arms!
Harbaugh on Aldon Smith

[QUOTE] HARBAUGH: The draft is full of good players. Without comparing them all, we took the guy we liked the most as a football player, as a person. We think he has tremendous upside.

Excited about adding a Missouri Tiger on our football team, another one on our defensive line to go along with Justin Smith.

The way he rushes the passer. The way he plays the run. His ability to play on his feet–that he has done and we project him to be able to do to be an outside linebacker in our 3-4 scheme.

To add to our defense. To add to our passrush.

We watched a lot of tape on him. We had him here on a visit.

I’m really impressed with him as a person. He’s an All-American young man. Has great wiring, many blessings from mom, dad and God, and we just feel like he’s going to be someone who’s obviously going to add to our football team and make us a better football team.

All those reasons and more.

-Q: He broke his leg and came back after only three games, said it showed he was tough. What did that show to you?

-HARBAUGH: There are a lot of things that come through on the tape…

That struck a chord with me. I know how usually bones take four to six weeks to heal. You could tell he was playing on it, limping at times
But there’s a toughness aspect there, both mentally and physical, that I was impressed with.

Strong, tough guy who shows that he loves football. So all those things, when I say the wiring, the kind of All-American type of young man. That’s what I mean by that.

The other thing I’m really excited about is his wingspan. It’s Dwyane Wade-like. Almost eight-feet in wingspan. Not eight feet, it’s plus-eight inches from his height.

But he’s very rarely on the ground. Unless he’s going in to make a tackle, very rarely does he go to the ground.

Tremendous balance. Tremendous hustle that he has pursuing the football, he’s coming from the backside. And not afraid to go into a pile of bodies, head first, make the tackle. A lot of things t [/QUOTE]

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2011/04/28/jim-harbaugh-on-aldon-smith-not-taking-a-qb-alex-smith/[/b]

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 28, 2011 at 19:45:39 ]
Seahawks and Cheifs trying to trade back, should we trade up and get back into the first and grab jimmy smith or ingram or dare i say bowers?
I was very disappointed with the selection until I started reading more about Smith...Not nerly as much as a reach than ninernation is claiming.

From Mayock:
14. Aldon Smith*, DE, Missouri
This young man has so much potential, it's scary. Put the 2009 game tape on against Russell Okung and Danny Watkins and you'll get a better view of what he can do. He played through a lot of pain last season.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Aldon Smith
Share 49ersWebzone