There are 170 users in the forums

Trent Baalke Interview with Media

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
If I didn't know better I would think you all were talking only about Alex smith in this Trent Baalke thread...

were talking about if its a good idea or not for baalke to bring him back

Weird, I haven't seen Trents name in two pages...

Hmm... I thought it was at the top of each page in this thread.

Trent Baalke Interview with Media

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by billbird2111:
If I didn't know better I would think you all were talking only about Alex smith in this Trent Baalke thread...

To pass the Janitor test I shall utter the name: TRENT

That said -- if the Niners draft a QB in any of the firs three rounds -- the QB who shall not be named (yet started some key games last season) will probably see the writing on the wall.

Still -- I don't know what options he'll have. I doubt anyone will be foolish enough to sign him to a long-term deal to be just a "backup."

He'd get the same type of two year deal that David Carr got from the niners last year. As I have said before David Carr is Alex Smith only difference he is just farther along in the bust process.

To pass the Janitor test I shall utter the name: TRENT

That said -- if the Niners draft a QB in any of the firs three rounds -- the QB who shall not be named (yet started some key games last season) will probably see the writing on the wall.

Still -- I don't know what options he'll have. I doubt anyone will be foolish enough to sign him to a long-term deal to be just a "backup."

I don't understand why coaches love this kid. If coaches like Norv Turner, Mike Martz, or even Mike Mccarthey couldn't get this guy to perform above average, why would a new HC want to take that risk.

I think Baalke is just appeasing the HC on this one hoping that AS turns it down.
If Alex has any shred of self-respect...he WONT return.

Just move on man.

Plus we need some other QB to sh*t on.
Thanks Mike Singletary for dumping Shawn Hill and putting the team in the biggest hole at QB in decades.
I think Trent Baalke is confident in Harbaugh's opinion, and so am I.

My opinion is that it is the outspoken minority that want Smith gone. I base this on most of the polls (mostly locked threads) in this forum debating who wants Smith in a Niners jersey this season. Most people do.

Over the past 2 years (in the Singletary/Raye offense):

Games: 22
Rating: 81.8
TDs: 32
Ints: 22

I would be curious to see what he can do with an offensive minded coach. So I understand why Baalke is backing Harbaugh's opinion.
I'd be down to "re sign" Smith if he was trade bait. We could honestly get at least a 4th-6th rounder out of it or possibly include him in a package of some sort to move up in the draft or acquire an additional higher draft pick. Probably played too much Madden but who knows...could work.
why does everybody think that coaching and management doesnt mean anything? This thread as everyone goes into a alex smith thread...well i tell you this and you all should know it already! The COACH makes the PLAYER! A GM gives that COACH what they want or need to win! If coach H thnks he will win with alex, baalke should back him and ALL of us should too!!!

Whoever our qb is next year will be givin more advantage than any qb has had since norv left. I believe even more than norv. Coach H will get the most out of any QB!
Even if smith stays ..he will be better TRUST me!
NO more run on 1st run on 2nd 3rd and long forced pass!!!!!
Originally posted by SY9er8:
why does everybody think that coaching and management doesnt mean anything? This thread as everyone goes into a alex smith thread...well i tell you this and you all should know it already! The COACH makes the PLAYER! A GM gives that COACH what they want or need to win! If coach H thnks he will win with alex, baalke should back him and ALL of us should too!!!

Whoever our qb is next year will be givin more advantage than any qb has had since norv left. I believe even more than norv. Coach H will get the most out of any QB!

Disagree -- otherwise Bill Walsh would have turned Steve DeBerg into the greatest 49er QB who ever played the game. You never would have even heard of Joe Montana.

Walsh was the greatest offensive mind to ever step onto an NFL stage and the greatest molder of QB's to ever coach the game -- but not even the great Bill Walsh could transform turds into doughnuts (with sprinkles).

He stuck with DeBerg just long enough until Montana could take over and the rest was history.

So -- basically -- you've got to have something there to begin with. I don't think Smith has "it." I think he can probably serve until Harbaugh finds his replacement, but I doubt he'll never be better than an 8-8 QB. And 8-8 would be quite an improvement for AS.
Originally posted by SY9er8:

Disagree -- otherwise Bill Walsh would have turned Steve DeBerg into the greatest 49er QB who ever played the game. You never would have even heard of Joe Montana.

Walsh was the greatest offensive mind to ever step onto an NFL stage and the greatest molder of QB's to ever coach the game -- but not even the great Bill Walsh could transform turds into doughnuts (with sprinkles).

He stuck with DeBerg just long enough until Montana could take over and the rest was history.

So -- basically -- you've got to have something there to begin with. I don't think Smith has "it." I think he can probably serve until Harbaugh finds his replacement, but I doubt he'll never be better than an 8-8 QB. And 8-8 would be quite an improvement for AS.

Yeah thats true but Coach H is saying he wants alex. weather you think he is a turd or not I dont care I want the qb the coach wants I don't care who the qb is either way Im just saying whoever he wants give it to him!! Walsh picked montana so why not let our new coach pick our qb and support that pick!

There are a flurry of articles appearing today throughout the sports media about Baalke's media day. The most interesting aspect is that the AP version said that a call to Alex's agent, Howard Skall, was not returned.

No one has commented on this, but I find it interesting. Wasn't Tom Condon Alex's agent? I checked and found that both Condon and Skall work with Creative Artists Agency. Is that a distinction with no difference? Did Alex fire Condon? Or did Condon drop Alex? Or does the fact that both agents work with the same agency mean that Alex is represented by CAA, and that both Condon and Skall represent him. Can anyone add anything to this?

If we knew more, it might help shed light on whether Alex is truly severing former ties and wants a new slate altogether.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by NinerBoss:
Originally posted by NinerBoss:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
lol i really don't care. Middle of the middle passing will suck, redzone will be good if we can get their! But the rookie qb will get time to learn! Like what we should have done with alex. the advantage here, is alex is still young, is solid vet qb in or not in freeagency without trades for other teams! TO GROOM A QB RIGHT!!

You want someone with his terrible track record helping training a rookie.. Shoot,I rather have Bulger for 1 year.. If it all about a rookie learning.. You don't want a rookie picking up Alex terrible habits..

Come on man nobody teaches rolling out to the right and throwing it out of bounds like Alex can.

Running for his life.....

Even when the pocket is stable.

What pocket? Are you serious? We had 3 new starters on the Oline just last year.

That piece of s**t makes everyone worse by holding onto the ball to long. Oline looks worse then it is, WRs get mad and stop running hard because he wont throw it when it needs to be thrown.

Susweel,I'm going to love watching 3 and outs again... Also all those picks.. remeber when he was starting the season and went 0-5 before getting bench.. He lead the league in picks... I think we better prepare for 2011 draft.. If no LUck...How about Barkley?

Yah man looks like we gonna have a serious shot at getting Luck. With Alex playing QB I dont even cheer for them to win because I know in the end it will be heart breaking loss.

Very sad state of affairs in ninerland. Hopefully all this cba s**t get resolved so Alex can go to hell and we can move on but I get the feeling that cancer will stick around another year.

Kind of sad and funny at the same time for me a least.. On one hand I'm a fan of a Laker franchise that would never settle for medicore results.. While on the other hand my favorite football team seems to enjoy it the past 8 years..

Same here Im also a fan of the Lakers. They wouldnt put up with this s**t, the niner used to be the same way back when Mr D owned the team. These f**king Yorks dont give a f**k as long people are showing up at the games. If Jed York was a real owner he would step in and put an end to all the foolish talk. But he aint so it wont happen.

^^ the 2 most uneducated posters ever
[ Edited by TheGoldenState on Apr 20, 2011 at 6:02 PM ]
Baalke is a joke as the GM, everybody knows that Harbaugh is the man with the power.

lol wow
wow i've read baalke is a joke to bring back smith...it's a slap in the face to the fan base..etc etc

given the lockout & no free agency i think this is the best move. sign him to a 1 yr deal. he has the best rapaport with any of the players than a new guy or a rookie has coming in especially if it's a shortend off season.

i don't think baalke or the niners want to tell the media or the fan base what's really going on. sorry but he needs to play coy which i think he's doing.

smith is not the future qb of the niners & i believe both jim & trent know that, but given the circumstances of this lockout this is our best option.

tough pill to swallow but a good business move.
I don't want to bash Baalke yet.. Since it his first year as GM,but why am I getting the McClueless vibe with some of his answers.. Also Alex knows the system? Did Baalke really claim Alex a better fit for the West Coast then a guy like Hassleback?

I'm refering to this on Espn..

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest

"Why would the 49ers consider re-signing Alex Smith? Baalke: "There are a lot of reasons. He understands this building. He understands the system that coach is interested in running. They obviously hit it off in their discussions. There is a lot of comfort in having somebody, especially when we are in the situation we are in, where there are so many unknowns. Coach is very comfortable with him. I am very comfortable with him. Will Alex choose to come back here? You will have to get him on the phone and ask him that question. But he is certainly a guy that we would like to throw into the mix." Baalke discounted the suggestion that the 49ers could easily acquire a quarterback familiar with the system coach Jim Harbaugh intends to run."

Can you say, "pre-draft smoke screen?" All this talk about the greatness of Alex Smith is to hide their man crush on QB "X".
Share 49ersWebzone